JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Paratrooper LOVE it :)

Kinda hard to catch a photo of it in the wild: (closest to the tree )

rPlTROgG0dQQ73Vv7K_e12eBO83sQY9pxL_92N3GAy2VKdZeIhoQhB0tv44y9Pl11PFyh-NPgT8C_v3ez=w1367-h1025-no.jpg

Last Edited:
No experience with folders directly, so no input there.

That said, do have much experience cycling years past.

Think on what you would want the folder to do, vs what a full-size would do.

Some of the best folders can be pretty spendy (again just going off of others knowledge, not first hand). I'm thinking of the small wheeled bike-Friday types. Folks take them on rigorous tours, quite enjoyably, and they fold up pretty darned small. Full-size hard suitcase small.

Now if it's just something that you'd like to use on occasion camping or even light commuting any would do. If you are considering it more transportationally with heavy use, I would imagine the quality will go up in relation to price point.

Ex: I bike commuted for a decade Boston suburbs into Longwood medical at night inbound, morning outbound. About a perfect 7 mile commute.

Used a bunch of different bikes, including a fixed gear track bike I had Sheldon Brown put together for me. My favorite bike for that, simple and inexpensive, plus an outstanding workout. Also had a trek carbon MTB setup with studs for the winter including riding into work during blizzards.

Anyways, if you have a decent Craigslist in your area, might Check there for folders. Can save a bunch $ if you do some research on pricing. Also on bike forums, although shipping usually kills savings deals. I did buy my Waterford tourer off of a seller on bike forums out of Texas, and had it shipped to Boston area. Saved >$1000 on it at the time - a long long time ago. That bike took me on a half way round the world self supported tour over a years time.

-so point being, again, depends on what you realistically want out of it, vs spending a bunch.

-sorry on the long winded-

I suppose a correlation might be: someone asking about a folding AK. IO's are cheap (we have an underfolder IO), it functions fine and we like it. Someday it will not function...and I'm perfectly ok with that, because it's not something we'd go to for hard use, or to rely on.

I know of the folding bikes you're thinking of with the small wheels and all, but those are not what I'm asking about. Really, as long as the frame itself is good I don't mind the quality on the rest of the parts.

This is the type I'm asking about:
6101ZTZ5NtL._SX355_.jpg

The small wheeled ones are light (the pic above is a bike that's about 35 lbs), but they're not useful for what I intend the bike for.

I know of the folding bikes you're thinking of with the small wheels and all, but those are not what I'm asking about. Really, as long as the frame itself is good I don't mind the quality on the rest of the parts.

This is the type I'm asking about:
View attachment 431344

The small wheeled ones are light (the pic above is a bike that's about 35 lbs), but they're not useful for what I intend the bike for.

Geese that looks really nice! Obviously I haven't kept up with the advancements in cycling.

I bought and have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q7EERYI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not super well made and a little flimsy on the plastic parts. I have it as an emergency vehicle in the back of my Santa Fe. Never know...Only rode it around the front yard after building it - not too difficult as they indicate on the reviews.

Can't answer for someone who actually rides it though.

Good luck,
Michael J.

Looks like a 20"? How do you like it?
I LOVE it. I decided not to go cheap, but did not want to pay high end for a decent bike.
There are some REAL differences between the Montague and Columbia.
The hinge. Not a fan of the door hinge on the Columbia. The Montague design is superior. The door hinge is in a place where I would rub or bump it. Sides in the thigh / knee area need to be free of hardware.
Brakes. Disc brakes rule. No way the clamps are going to gett'r stopped on a serious down hill. They also tend to squeak and rub where the disc is quiet.
Wheel. Front wheel needs to be removable so you can lay the thing flat. The Columbia is shorter folded, but wider than when it is not. The Paratrooper packs up nice and flat. There is even a shoulder pack for them. I carry ours on the trailer or trucks roof rack.

I can not speak to the shifting. I don't have a preference there. I do have a Wolverine 29 from Walmart. It is similar to the Columbia without the folding. It is OK, but now having gone to the Paratrooper... I would never be able to go back.

Basically with dropping out of a class and having to take another course in the summer, it went from being able to get a $500 bike or save up a little more, to $300 being barely affordable.

I might consider it. It is a bit high up though.
Totally understand. I think the Xspek linked above might be a better choice. It has a front disc brake and that would make it easier to add quick disconnects for the front wheel. Still not crazy about the thought of hitting a calf on the hinge point. Never rode one though so that may not be an issue.
Like I said , the 29'r I bought did the job and still does. WAY lower cost point. I was ready to "invest" in a "good" bike and hand it down to my son. I was considering mountain bikes well past the $1k point.

I will admit that the marines using the Montague was a pretty big endorsement for me. Lots of respect for armed forces. Pics of them on a sandy base in another country added to my confidence in the durability of the Paratrooper :)

Do you really need a folding bike? I have to tell ya that the Fat tire bikes really intrigue me. I almost think I NEED one of those.

I'm trying to put more stuff into the garage, so I really need to save up on space. I don't feel like giving up mountain and terrain biking either.

As for the brakes, I've been using v brakes for years so at this point I'm used to them enough it won't matter much to me. I was thinking of the Columba for the steel frame, since its easier for me to work on steel than aluminum if there's some damage.

I ended up settling on the Columba SP26S for now. Its cheap, but the frame is steel (easier for me to fix than aluminum frames) and all the other stuff I can probably deal with as time goes on. Used to V brakes so braking on a steep hill won't bother me (don't ask how many falls it took to get it right in various weather conditions). Gotta get what you can get.

Honestly, it can't be lower quality than a cheap roadmaster I'm replacing. Its falling apart, don't feel like working on it anymore.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top