JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was just somewhat interested in those Colt M4A1 socoms that were put out but I went with the fn. I wouldn't mind having both but then all the sudden colt decided to blindside Everyone.

I was just somewhat interested in those Colt M4A1 socoms that were put out but I went with the fn. I wouldn't mind having both but then all the sudden colt decided to blindside Everyone.

They've been doing it for years.

I currently own 2 Colt AR rifles purchased a number of years back when Colt was about ready to go under because they lost the contract to FN for the M4. Then it was a panic and they started to flood the civilian market to get cash flow. FN had been making the Marines 20 in rifles for some time but colt had the contract for the Army M4s.

One is a Colt M4A1 SOCOM with a 16 in bbl the other was a stripped down model that came with no furniture at all just a complete action and barrel assembly you just add grip, rear sight and hand guards. Both have the notched hammer and Colt proof marks so not the cheap version they came out with later.

From the reports I read at the time when the Marines went to the M4 the government felt it was time to dump Colt due to over cost, any patent that Colt had was gone and they had seem some quality issues. The DOD always felt they designed the M4 as they did all the leg work and Colt just built what they came up with.

So they went to FN for the main contract. As far as quality dealing with both civilian and military you're paying for a name Colt and nothing more. I have Colt's, BCM's, Palmetto's and a verity of Anderson lowers on home built from a verity of different manufactures.

My opinion is BCM and FN has better quality and fit than Colt but any of the three are a great gun. Palmetto depends on the upper you get as they have varying degrees of quality and tolerances. I have them from basic Phosphate bbls to FN chrome lined and they all work well but you can see the machining and quality differences between them.

So in my opinion the reason Colt may go up in price is because they stopped making them for now. Not because they are better.

My go to rifle is the BCM and I have taken a number of classes to prove it out. I got the Colts as they were cheap at the time for Colt and I figure some time down the road I will find a sucker to pay more than they are worth just for the name.

Nice purchase!
Several years ago after I saw obama cry about some mass shooting, I decided it was a good time to buy an AR. So naturally I bought a FDE M4 lol.

I bought a Spikes Tactical ST15 M4LE over a Colt. I used to have a Colt LE6920 and it was nice but I wasn't impressed. IMO the Spikes is/was a better bang for the buck. Oh and I named my M4 Obama hahahaha.

All you need is a light and a red dot. Not trying to make a sale but if you decide to get a nice red dot, I have a nice Aimpoint PRO for sale on here ($300).

Have fun with your new toy.

Honestly I'm not that impressed with bcm. I have a bcm 300 blackout upper that I got a few years ago and the anodizing started chipping off around the ejection port and the gun has less than 1000 rounds through it. Also keymod is on its way out and that's one of their claims to fame as far as I know. I mean the gun shoots good and it's solid but it's still not something that seems that valuable to me and I spent over 650$ on that upper

I only shot Colts when I was enlisted. I have several low to mid grade ARs now. Some with chrome lined barrels and some without. I never get to shoot more than 200 yards and only 100 yds on paper. Out of five, including a Windham a Stag Arms and the rest home builds, they all shoot about the same. All reliable while shooting the cheapest brass ammo I can find.

Reliability aside, are Colts expected to be any better than inches at 100 yds with standard ammo? I know they set the standard but most companies today meet that level at a better price. That is speaking to performance and not value. I don't own one but I think the Smith & Wesson M&P is probably the best value for AR15s right now.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top