JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey,
I have an old 8mm 98 Mauser that was my uncles who passed away almost 50yrs ago. A few years back my grandmother gave this rifle. While not pretty I would still like to make it look decent and shoot decent so I can pass it down to my future family. The first thing It needs is a new stock. Someone had tryed make a sporter stock on it and it didn't turn out well. First order is to get a new stock. I'm thinking I would like to get a military stock if possible. Can any one point me in the right direction?

The mauser 98 was and is the favorite to sporterize. I built a .458 Win. Mag. in school. Since then I have built several rifles on that action. If your original barrel is shot out, consider having it re-barreled in the caliber of your choice. Stock choices abound for the M98.

Thanks for the info guys. As far as the barrel goes, everything looks okay. I'm mainly looking to keep it as original as I can. I found some origanals but I'm not all sure what imgoing to need to get it all fixed up.

Here is some info that might help identify what you have:

Large Ring - Mauser's with a Large ring have a thread shank diameter of 1.10" With 12 threads per inch. Across the face of the receiver will measure 1 3/8 . You can also measure the trigger guard screw holes, From center hole to center of other hole should measure about 7 7/8 or 7.830.

Small Ring - Mausers with a Small ring have a thread shank diameter of .980" With 12 threads per inch. Across the face of the receiver will measure 1 1/4. You can also measure the trigger guard screw holes, From the center of the holes measure , it should measure about 7 5/8 or 7.625.
Large Rings Small Rings
Mauser 98, 48*, vz24,vz22 , Turks* , & Commercial Mausers etc.. Models 93, 94,95,96 & Mexican etc...
48* Large Ring but with an intermediate action see actions.
Turks * most are Threaded for the small ring barrel but have the standard length [ long ] action of a large ring Mauser 98.

Action Length

Here's where Mausers get confusing. There was several countries that manufactured various Mauser action rifles other than the large ring and long action. Some with Small Rings and long actions and some Large rings with Intermediate actions. The m48 and 48a [ yugo's ] have a large ring barrel but an intermediate action. The Turk Mausers [ most ] have a small ring barrel but a long action.

The Turks and m48's are nice rifles with great possibilities for sporterizing but there are more parts available for the standard Mauser 98 large ring and long action such as the k98 , vz24 etc.....

Smokedout,
I have a Mitchels mauser collectors grade I picked up. It was in great shape but heavy. I found a guy on here selling a houge stock for 60$. After installing the stock it's like a new rifle. I left it open site style, put a bipod, sling and buttpad shell holder on it. I have a mosin that I put a ATI stock on and I like the houge much better. The ATI has some sharper edges and the fit isn't as clean. If you look around you can find 8mm ammo on stripper clips at around 34-39 cents per round. I can't tell you how much I enjoy this 8mm now that it has the houge stock on it. It's a true scout rifle! You can get soft points for hunting at around $33 a box. Just keep your wood stock and extra parts to maintain future sale value. I know some places to get 8mm if you cant find any. Go for the houge! You'll love the rifle even more, I promise!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top