JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got an essentially free Mauser 98 recently. It's already heavily sporterized unfortunately, but it presents a good opportunity for a project.

I was thinking a scout rifle, having it rebarreled for .308, put it in an ultralight stock and put a LPV scout scope on it so I could still use stripper clips.

Thoughts? Other ideas? Anyone had something like this done and know a ballpark cost so I can plan for it?

Sounds like a neat-o project. Since it is already been thoroughly sporterized, there is nothing to be concerned about from a preservation standpoint. What type of Mauser 98 is it, if you don't mind me asking?

It's your rifle, do whatever twists your nipples.
Oh I will :) I just like to hear what others have done because sometimes it gives me ideas of things I hadn't thought of.
Sounds like a neat-o project. Since it is already been thoroughly sporterized, there is nothing to be concerned about from a preservation standpoint. What type of Mauser 98 is it, if you don't mind me asking?
A matching numbers Steyr BNZ45 Kar98k :(

A pretty valuable rifle in original condition, but the receiver is drilled and tapped, stock is cut and messed with, and the sights are gone.

As with so many things in life: once it's been messed with, you have a license to mess with it some more - no harm, no foul. I would rather have a 'banger' than a 'hanger' any day!

I don't know why it's not a written rule around here that people bringing up "new-to-them", out of the ordinary guns, aren't required to show pictures? Or face a timeout in corner. :)

I don't know why it's not a written rule around here that people bringing up "new-to-them", out of the ordinary guns, aren't required to show pictures? Or face a timeout in corner. :)
I would but trust me it's really nothing special to look at right now. Perhaps one day I'll have a good picture to post.

If you want to see outstanding examples of what can be done with Mauser actions, head over to H&K gun shop in Forest Grove. There's a wall of guns there converted by Kurt and his dad. I am told by others, they are amazing shooters too.

Ideas on costs:
Profiled barrel blank : $350
Smith services to chamber, thread, claw cut and true bold : $300 - $600
Sexy replacement stock : $350

I got an essentially free Mauser 98 recently. It's already heavily sporterized unfortunately, but it presents a good opportunity for a project.

I was thinking a scout rifle, having it rebarreled for .308, put it in an ultralight stock and put a LPV scout scope on it so I could still use stripper clips.

Thoughts? Other ideas? Anyone had something like this done and know a ballpark cost so I can plan for it?
It's long action, therefore do a long action chambering, not a 308
Maybe something like 280 Ackley Improved. There is factory ammo available for 280 AI now from Federal and Nosler.
Or a 35 Whelen (factory ammo) or 9.3 x 62 Mauser (factory ammo) or a 338-06 if you reload.
Bartlein barrel or Douglas barrel (budget)
Boyd's walnut stock for the 98.

Do it the right way and then it won't have to be rescued by someone else.

IMHO, the '98 action begs to be done in a chambering such as the above mentioned unless it is found in its full military glory.
Then it shall be left intact.

Last Edited:
I have been on a "Stalking Rifle" kick now for quite a while, and I find I actually like them better then the 'Scout" idea, as long as you don't plan to run an optic, though you could using the same idea!
Basically, a "Stalking Rifle" is a Sporter type rifle with the pre war type Express type stock and good iron sights! Barrels don't have to be anything super fancy, a good "Magnum Contour" seems about right for weight and balance, and because were using old school fighting rifles, they are super slick and easy to load with stripper clips! I like having a Break on my barrels, both for blast/recoil and front end weight, plus, I like running a metal butt plate, and with a brake, I don't get a sore shoulder with the hard kickers like .30/06 and bigger! Havn't done a true Mauser 98, but have done 3 1903s so far, and all have turned out really nice! Think of them like the Ruger Hawkeye Guide series, short, light, fast, and simple! Could install an optic or some sort of dot or reflex sight, but I find with the right irons, I am just as fast and just as accurate and there is much less to bang or snag or to fail!

Just a thought!

WTQOI62LROQIQALXAXI6GW6SMM.jpg

These bad ideas have always appealed to me on a childish level.

Oh I will :) I just like to hear what others have done because sometimes it gives me ideas of things I hadn't thought of.

A matching numbers Steyr BNZ45 Kar98k :(

A pretty valuable rifle in original condition, but the receiver is drilled and tapped, stock is cut and messed with, and the sights are gone.
What an atrocity!

It is a 'Vette. Not to my taste, but if he likes it, more power to him.

World would be a better place if people would keep to their own devices and quit telling everyone else what to do with their own bubblegum.
Love the rifle. Love the hair. Car looks like it would pull the kind of chicks who usually don't talk to me.
My guy is probably the bane of the neighborhood, and I would hang out w/him.

It is a 'Vette. Not to my taste, but if he likes it, more power to him.

World would be a better place if people would keep to their own devices and quit telling everyone else what to do with their own bubblegum.
Definitely not going to tell him what to do.

Definitely going to laugh my bubblegum off when he looses that front bumper to a speed bump though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top