JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That wasn't the problem. I had no problem "starting" the roll pin. Hence why the roll pin is in as far as needed to be to hold the forward assist in place. The roll pin was protruding and wouldn't fully sit flush. A pin that's stuck can't be made to sit flush with the starter. And yes I tried.
The punch you pictured was not a starter, maybe you used something different, I don't know...
Misalignment is probably the number one cause of problems I've seen over the years and building hundreds of guns. The pin being misaligned can begin to shear material off the wall and also as it is further driven in won't line up with the other side of the hole on the inside. Makes me think that's why you couldn't push it in any further.

That pin tends to be more problematic than all the others.

I use two punches and a little oil for that pin installation, the starter then a drift, or aka: Roll pin punch or pin punch.

Any suggestions? Mine were from Brownells. Wheelers if I remember correctly but I've had them for years so might be mistaken..
I bought a set off amazon a couple years back by the name of Swan Lake Garden Tools. The 5/64" & 1/16" have been pounded on quite a bit and when they bend can be bent back without breaking. Mixed reviews but so far mine are holding up - could be that some batches are bad? I've broken Tekton punches and they cost triple the price... Here's a link to them ($9.89):

https://www.amazon.com/SWANLAKE-9-Pieces-Gunsmithing-Removing-Automotive/dp/B07RKPH6R9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1R2R60O45IQ02&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.kcphnf2nS0Cu3dooBGtXv4vzN4zAKG__SWOvgHORu_XgryaoragIlmJSPRow72S_XUosWqz2zXs6Q-fI1xfAtc5anbQL9pFdeBDiFo2G9HV6-RqpCHmtOlXP19Mnixu6CUXJt00ia8p0c6dWwWxHhPu7i8_OESezUxixoa7ros9F7U1n2shmS-0mX4JaaElFzML-XAQVpIFuHNZlp73kQ6GhY_j6Xuqi7yYqDHGKefpy7u8nq8Qb-Y-ECpwI_IUlKr13TqMtfWFpfsm_Q6G3t-XCeH9cj_ZVo6JLOTEPH8c.d3vFuLpp3ufdI_WKu_3ysbVhNY9rAlPX1mPJBlr_Sck&dib_tag=se&keywords=Swan+Lake+punch+set&qid=1711335861&sprefix=swan+lake+punch+set,aps,291&sr=8-3

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top