JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Screenshot_2019-04-24_175219.jpg Screenshot_2019-04-24_175235.jpg

I was hot boat last Friday fishing out of the Swan Island Basin dry dock area in the Willamette.
I hooked 5 Springers, two of them were 23-25 lb natives, caught and released, two buried rod screaming take downs and one 22 lb keeper hatchery.
One of the natives spit the hooks and the leading siwash hook managed to snag the dorsal fin.
It took me over ten minutes of pulling as hard as I could trying to horse that pissed off fish close to my boat, so I could retrieve my favorite gear setup.
At one point, I was pulling my 14' aluminum boat sideways through the water, trying to stop him racing across the top of the water for over 100' runs. Quite a show when he would jump out of the water like he was going up a waterfall.
Netting him was a miracle, as he never ran out of steam.
The best part was hooking all of these salmon right in front of my fishing guide neighbor.
I actually had to beg some extra bait off of him, as I ran through the six I brought with me.

Last Edited:
I was hot boat last Friday fishing out of the Swan Island Basin dry dock area in the Willamette.
I hooked 5 Springers, two of them were 23-25 lb natives, caught and released, two buried rod screaming take downs and one 22 lb keeper hatchery.
One of the natives spit the hooks and the leading siwash hook managed to snag the dorsal fin.
It took me over ten minutes of pulling as hard as I could trying to horse that pissed off fish close to my boat, so I could retrieve my favorite gear setup.
At one point, I was pulling my 14' aluminum boat sideways through the water, trying to stop him racing across the top of the water for over 100' runs. Quite a show when he would jump out of the water like he was going up a waterfall.
The best part was hooking all of these salmon right in front of my fishing guide neighbor.
I actually had to beg some extra bait off of him, as I ran through the six I brought with me.
And not one picture.
Should we believe him or not .
LOL

Congrats on being the HOT BOAT, it's quite a good feeling out fishing a guide to boot.;)
Not flaming but why did you net a fish you had to release?
I know Oregon doesn't require this but it is by far better than netting and releasing.
I use a 24" metal hook I made to release unclipped hatchery fish. Get the fish next to the boat, grab the leader, hook the homemade hook inside the hook & pull the leader down & the hook up & bye bye fish. I've released MANY unclipped hatchery fish using this technique.

WDFW had a pic of one in the regs.

20190428_230646.jpg

Last Edited:
Congrats on being the HOT BOAT, it's quite a good feeling out fishing a guide to boot.;)
Not flaming but why did you net a fish you had to release?
I know Oregon doesn't require this but it is by far better than netting and releasing.
I use a 24" metal hook I made to release unclipped hatchery fish. Get the fish next to the boat, grab the leader, hook the homemade hook inside the hook & pull the leader down & the hook up & bye bye fish. I've released MANY unclipped hatchery fish using this technique.

WDFW had a pic of one in the regs.

View attachment 574371
I don't want to be a pain, but technically it's illegal to net and remove fish from the water that must be released... at least in Oregon.
Just watch some shows and you'll see them do it too tho, especially to get a picture.
PS: it's a pretty new reg, not many people know of and I've never heard of enforcement.

I don't lift them out of the water, just corral them in the net and pry the hooks out with needle nose pliers.
I'm running a small aluminum boat by myself, and trying to lift a 25 lb native salmon straight up with a gill pole that still has a lot of fight left in him and also try to get a hook out, ain't gonna happen.
As far as pics go, I'll take them for friends that catch one, but if you've fished for salmon as long as I have, what's the point.
I'll take a pic later today of what's vacuum sealed inside my freezer. At least the packages have dates on them.

I don't want to be a pain, but technically it's illegal to net and remove fish from the water that must be released... at least in Oregon.
Just watch some shows and you'll see them do it too tho, especially to get a picture.
PS: it's a pretty new reg, not many people know of and I've never heard of enforcement.

9 times out of ten I've netted large fish that need to be released. From a boat anyway. It's not illegal, around here, as long as you keep them in the water. Playing a wild fish to the point of exhaustion on light line can do much more damage to a fish.

I don't lift them out of the water, just corral them in the net and pry the hooks out with needle nose pliers.
I'm running a small aluminum boat by myself, and trying to lift a 25 lb native salmon straight up with a gill pole that still has a lot of fight left in him and also try to get a hook out, ain't gonna happen.
As far as pics go, I'll take them for friends that catch one, but if you've fished for salmon as long as I have, what's the point.
I'll take a pic later today of what's vacuum sealed inside my freezer. At least the packages have dates on them.

Oh come on! You could do an ifish pic where all you're showing is a brag pic, with the back ground blocked out, and no mention of what water, area, bait, line, technique? You know, saying, "Look what a great fisherman I am!"

I want to say "You Suck" But you don't. :D

Went out this morning and hooked a 15 lb native and minutes later caught a 16 lb hatchery. I went upstream to the west side right next to the big blue Port of Portland cranes.
There were two huge sea lions having a great time mid river all morning.

Exactly especially the knotted net bags, they are very bad for netting releasable fish because they take so much slime off of the fish that they get infected. Yeah kind of outlandish but it's been documented and other net manufacturers came up with the knotless net bags which are supposedly have better survival rates.

I also used to Fish by myself a lot because my good fishing buddies all had to go to work.
We also just cut the leader if the fish would not play right, the price of a hook is not even in the equation but know that people do use lures and don't want to waste 5 to 10 bucks on each one. Thay-s understandable.
90% of the time I run hearing, I also tie all of my leaders so it's not a big deal as far as cost.

Hey at least you're out there having fun and I'm sitting here at home, good luck to you.;)

Cutting off the hook is generally not a problem, but he wasn't coming any closer then 5' from the boat and when he did, he was diving under the boat and ripping off line going the opposite way. It took all of the 6' net handle to get him and I still had to reel in my other pole while trying to keep him from wrapping the two lines together.
I wanted my favorite custom made trolling gear back and slashing a sharp knife at a crazed native salmon while leaning over the low sides of my boat with every guide boat was hauling bubblegum up & down river wasn't an option.
It took all of my skill to handle that fish and when he swam away, I was the worse for wear, not him.

Last Edited:
Cutting off the hook is generally not a problem, but he wasn't coming any closer the 5' from the boat and when he did, he was diving under the boat and ripping off line going the opposite way. It took all of the 6' net handle to get him and I still had to reel in my other pole while trying to keep him from wrapping the two lines together.
I wanted my favorite custom made trolling gear back and slashing a sharp knife at a crazed native salmon while leaning over the low sides of my boat with every guide boat was hauling bubblegum up & down river wasn't an option.
It took all of my skill to handle that fish and when he swam away, I was the worse for wear, not him.

Having any decent size salmon foul hooked is no good and a complete nightmare. I don't see how deliberate snaggers get any pleasure what so ever. I'd rather not catch fish than have them hooked anywhere but the head. There's been a few times I've been in the situation you were, and even having heavy line, it's difficult to bring those fish to the safety of a net. Years ago I hooked a dark tidewater fish in the oyster house area in Tillamook Bay with a K14, or 15 Kwick Fish. That was back when 25#-30# fish were fairly common. That fish was hooked in the back, between the dorsal and the tail. That was when i was in the little 12'er with the 7.5 Eska. That wasn't a boat you'd want to stand up in much.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top