JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't see any threads on turkey hunting more recent than 2019, so I'll post one and see if I get any traction.

This will be my first time going out for turkeys. From the research I've done it sounds like the best populations in the Western part of Oregon are down near Roseburg, but thats a bit of a hike from Portland, where I live.

So I'm looking at the White River area near Dufur. Anybody hunted turkeys out there and have any pointers or insight they could offer a rookie? Any insight on where populations hang out more specifically within the White River area itself?

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Marshall

If you have not done so already I would check out the ODFW website to see if they provide harvest reports and population data which can be very useful in deciding on a locale to hunt. Also look to the Dept. of Natural Resources for maps of land that are open to the public to hunt.

I am in the same situation in Washington. The best public land option for me to hunt Turkey is a 2 hour drive to the East.

So I'm looking at the White River area near Dufur. Anybody hunted turkeys out there and have any pointers or insight they could offer a rookie? Any insight on where populations hang out more specifically within the White River area itself?
The entire refuge area is good for turkey hunting as well as the National Forest lands adjacent to the refuge boundary. Without giving you my spot.... its not really a secrete the public lands around Rock Creek Reservoir are a good place to start.
The hard part about hunting them there is if they go silent it can make it feel as if there are none around and wasting your time but they are there.... if they arent gobbling at sunrise then try soft faint hen clucks and purrs in different spots where you find their scratches and tracks crossing dirt roads, needless to say camoed out... you might get a reply or one might silently walk up on you to investigate.

You may also find it helpful to do some in depth research on the target species, turkey in this case. I have been told that to discern the areas that are more likely to hold birds, you will do well to learn their behaviors and habitat needs.

I will also add that nothing beats having field time in the area you intend to hunt. I will have completely different experiences in the woods depending on various factors. Time of day, time of year, when it is raining, when it is very hot out, when it is very cold out, when you are alone or with a partner.

When you do find a potential hunting area to investigate, try to do some pre-season scouting at the locale a time or two before the hunting season starts(if possible) to get a feel for the land and look for animal sign.

Last season while hunting grouse, I hunted several times at 5 different public land units in 3 different counties and was only able to consistently locate the birds at one of the 5 units where they easily evaded me in the dense brush.

Best of luck in you endeavors.

6ED664D2-176C-423A-8D10-EA591559ACD3.jpeg

BFCA8499-5A45-4159-AF8F-A5218E0945E0.jpeg

87630E0D-AD74-456D-9CBB-8BDE4FF16239.jpeg

Be careful. Turkeys are subtle and quick to anger.

P

I don't see any threads on turkey hunting more recent than 2019, so I'll post one and see if I get any traction.

This will be my first time going out for turkeys. From the research I've done it sounds like the best populations in the Western part of Oregon are down near Roseburg, but thats a bit of a hike from Portland, where I live.

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Marshall
Any update on your turkey hunting prospects in the White River area? Have you been able to get out there to scout the area?

I'm going out for the first time in the Dunn Forest (OSU property) near Corvallis. We'll see how we do. I haven't ever been but I heard there's lots of them around. Got calling down enough to not sound like a dying animal, so we'll see.

I'm going out for the first time in the Dunn Forest (OSU property) near Corvallis. We'll see how we do. I haven't ever been but I heard there's lots of them around. Got calling down enough to not sound like a dying animal, so we'll see.
Can't wait to hear how it goes! Good luck!

My kids were trying to rope a turkey yesterday, I was at work but my wife warned them that they'd have to turn it loose as they didn't have a tag. There were three large Tom's and over ten females in the field next to our house yesterday.

The entire refuge area is good for turkey hunting as well as the National Forest lands adjacent to the refuge boundary. Without giving you my spot.... its not really a secrete the public lands around Rock Creek Reservoir are a good place to start.
The hard part about hunting them there is if they go silent it can make it feel as if there are none around and wasting your time but they are there.... if they arent gobbling at sunrise then try soft faint hen clucks and purrs in different spots where you find their scratches and tracks crossing dirt roads, needless to say camoed out... you might get a reply or one might silently walk up on you to investigate.
A friend is a turkey hunter.
He says that turkeys will often respond to a few squawks from a crow call.

A friend is a turkey hunter.
He says that turkeys will often respond to a few squawks from a crow call.
Ive heard of this but havent tried it. I probably should add that to my bag of tricks since its hard to locate them, most of the time they go silent. Last year I didnt get one but I got a reply from a long ways away to my gobble. I started stalking slowly getting a reply now and then, got a little bit closer then stopped and tried hen clucks to get him to come to me since I hid but never heard from him again.
So it goes turkey hunting.

My cousin and I went out to scout for turkey at the Soda Springs wildlife area last weekend. On Saturday we saw lots of blacktail deer and a few mallards, but not any turkey. Sunday morning just before first light we woke up to light snow, an owl hooting to the North and a gobbler sounding off somewhere to the South of camp.

We searched and called all morning but never got eyes on any turkey, just a ton more blacktails, some gray squirrel and we flushed a spruce grouse near a creek on the way back to camp.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top