JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hello guys I've been hunting in Oregon all my life but my family has always just hunted deer and elk however now that I have my own family I would like to expand on the game animals that I hunt however I'm not really sure where to get started as far as duck and goose hunting I would like any knowledge you guys are willing to share example where to go preferred ammo or shotguns are decoys needed or not etc and turkey hunting kinda similar situation also what gear do you think is necessary vs what's just for more comfort

bubblegum turkey hunting. Waste of time. Stick to duck and goose. Gun options are all over the board but I'd suggest one for 3.5" shells for the late season goose. You need to take a test for geese hunting by the Portland metro area. But dick hutnjfn can be good one day at a spot and dead the next. Learn the ducks and where they go. Divers or puddlers those species don't always mix or found in the same area.

Here is ODFWs page on how to hunt waterfowl. They usually have workshops in the fall, but it looks like they are currently full. Lots of good information on their pages. 12ga pump or semi auto, with a barrel length of 28", screw in chokes, and at least a 3" chamber. Camo or wood doesn't really matter, but I prefer synthetic stocks. Spend more money on a good waterproof jacket, cheap waders can work well for a season or 2. A dozen decoys is a great start, buy better brands as the paint tends to last, lots of people selling on FB. Duck calls take time to make work, but a 6-1 whistle can be helpful immediately and are easy to use. Read the regs, then read them again. Learn more about how to identify ducks while flying.

feel free to ask more questions, lots of info on the internet, but not all of it is good, or is applicable to this area.

Here is ODFWs page on how to hunt waterfowl. They usually have workshops in the fall, but it looks like they are currently full. Lots of good information on their pages. 12ga pump or semi auto, with a barrel length of 28", screw in chokes, and at least a 3" chamber. Camo or wood doesn't really matter, but I prefer synthetic stocks. Spend more money on a good waterproof jacket, cheap waders can work well for a season or 2. A dozen decoys is a great start, buy better brands as the paint tends to last, lots of people selling on FB. Duck calls take time to make work, but a 6-1 whistle can be helpful immediately and are easy to use. Read the regs, then read them again. Learn more about how to identify ducks while flying.

feel free to ask more questions, lots of info on the internet, but not all of it is good, or is applicable to this area.
I appreciate the info and I'll definitely look into the workshops didn't know that was a thing to be honest

There are a good number of places you can get to in short order from Beaverdale. If you have a boat, that will increase your ability to get out to the public land greatly. It'd be good if you could hook up with some of the guys that do shoots out at sauvies to get a feel for their check in style of access, and if that doesn't fit the bill then get a boat and explore riversides and learn to safely get around where you want to set up. The Big rivers up to portland proper experience tiidal changes daily. the closer you get to the coast, the more the tide can change. I'd go with a 12 ga that can handle a 3 inch steel load that shoots #2 steel at 1550 fps over birds landing in your decoys and you should be off to a good start.

There are a good number of places you can get to in short order from Beaverdale. If you have a boat, that will increase your ability to get out to the public land greatly. It'd be good if you could hook up with some of the guys that do shoots out at sauvies to get a feel for their check in style of access, and if that doesn't fit the bill then get a boat and explore riversides and learn to safely get around where you want to set up. The Big rivers up to portland proper experience tiidal changes daily. the closer you get to the coast, the more the tide can change. I'd go with a 12 ga that can handle a 3 inch steel load that shoots #2 steel at 1550 fps over birds landing in your decoys and you should be off to a good start.
I appreciate the information looks like there's a lot more for me to unpack then I thought I'll definitely have to get in and talk to a couple clubs to Kinda get an understanding I think based off what I've heard so far is that may be the best thing for me to do

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top