JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey,

So my wife is a store manager and they've been getting some pretty undesirable people visiting the store when there is only person working. I'm generally concerned for my wife's safety, as they there is no security and no CCTV in the store or the small mall where she works. She has her CHL for Utah, but as she is a Permanent Resident and not a citizen she is not allowed to carry in Oregon. My question is: It is okay for her to have a firearm at her workplace, in a drawer for example, to be used for self defense if she needs it. Thanks for input in advance.

Most states treat home, and work the same. If you vacation in Oregon, you're good to keep firearms at the hotel/rental house or wherever you're staying, resident or not.

And that depends, at home it's your property. At work it's theirs and they have the right to say "no weapons" or we'll fire you even if you save your life and others with them.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Is this business in Portland?
How will she get the firearm to and from the "drawer" ?
How does her employer feel about this?
Will other people have access to the firearm?

Portland does not allow carry of a loaded firearm without a Oregon CHL. So she would have to unload it to take it out of the store And would not be able to carry it concealed to her car nor open carry for that matter. It would I believe have to be locked in a case?

It is in Portland yes. I'm not sure how her employers feel about it. I was wanting to make sure it was viable for her to do so. I was curious about the transportation process. Nobody else would have access to it, and it would be transported in a case to meet Oregon's carry laws.

That's what I was thinking in case she doesn't want to shoot someone too. Thanks.
I can understand the concept of not wanting to take a life. However, that has no bearing whatsoever when it comes to saving your own life, or the life of a loved one. Quite simply, if she is not in fear for her life, and uses pepper spray, she could be charged with assault. If she is in fear for her life, and shoots the aggressor, she is defending herself. If the attacker happens to die from a gunshot wound, that fact is totally irrelevant, if she was in fear for her life.

And that depends, at home it's your property. At work it's theirs and they have the right to say "no weapons" or we'll fire you even if you save your life and others with them.

It's better to lose your job than lose your life IMHO

I didn't say I agreed with it! I used to work for the State of WA, DOT. No guns allowed, but I carried anyway and I had a nice inside "desk" job. Out in the field I've had more than one foreman threaten to bash my head in with a #2 shovel when I made them follow the contract.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Hey,

So my wife is a store manager and they've been getting some pretty undesirable people visiting the store when there is only person working. I'm generally concerned for my wife's safety, as they there is no security and no CCTV in the store or the small mall where she works. She has her CHL for Utah, but as she is a Permanent Resident and not a citizen she is not allowed to carry in Oregon. My question is: It is okay for her to have a firearm at her workplace, in a drawer for example, to be used for self defense if she needs it. Thanks for input in advance.

Permanent residents can apply for an Oregon CHL if they have six months of residency in OR and intend to become citizens. Does she not qualify under those terms?

I can understand the concept of not wanting to take a life. However, that has no bearing whatsoever when it comes to saving your own life, or the life of a loved one. Quite simply, if she is not in fear for her life, and uses pepper spray, she could be charged with assault. If she is in fear for her life, and shoots the aggressor, she is defending herself. If the attacker happens to die from a gunshot wound, that fact is totally irrelevant, if she was in fear for her life.

The holes in your logic are big enough to drive a Mack truck through them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top