JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For the purposes of this thread I am talking about the more common firearms used in the areas west of the Missouri river from the years about 1800 - 1860.

The firearm was a popular and important article of trade.
Basically rifles , smooth bores and pistols were used
( There article done...:D )

Or for the long read version...
( Sorry so long , tried to keep it short )

The firearms used came in flintlock , percussion and in the 1860's breech loaders were more frequently seen at times.
Flintlocks were used for the longest time....I have seen flintlock Trade Guns with dates as late as the 1870's and 1880's.

One of the more common myths as to why the flintlock was favored is because :
"If you ran out of caps your percussion gun was useless and , you can get a rock from the ground and make your flintlock work."
I say myth because , if you had a percussion gun...you could be resupplied with caps from the supply train or fur trade post and one probably had a good supply of caps on their person.
Getting back to flintlocks...you can't just use any old rock to make a spark...
Flint of course works the best.... Chert , Obsidian , various "quartzite" rocks and pyrite will work ...but ya gotta know what they look like and where to find them.

Flints were shipped out by tons...a whole guild and apprentice system was based around flint knapping in England and France.

I would say that the flintlock was used for so long because :
It worked...
It was less expensive than a percussion gun or breech loader...
Also there were no UPS or FED EX back in the day to ship the latest and greatest items out to a remote post...
Flintlocks were a known quality to many...

Percussion guns start showing up in accounts and ledgers from the mid 1830's onward.
Nat. Wyeth tells of "percussioning" some rifles while in the field , in 1834
Antone Clement was pictured with a percussion pistol in his belt , by A.J. Miller in 1837.
Percussion guns were popular and used from the late 1830's through the 1880's.
Percussion caps were regularly supplied to traders , trappers and fur trade posts.

Breech loaders are mentioned from the late 1850's onward...
But again more expensive and with less frequency than muzzle loaders.
( Excluding the buffalo hide trade of the late 1870's - 80's )

As for the types of firearms used...
Rifles were of the "Trade Rifle" type or private purchase.

Trade Rifles , were rifles that were made for use in the fur trade , either by traders and trappers or for trade to the tribes.
These could come in either flintlock or percussion form as well as full or half stock....
All depending on time era or orders placed.
Also most were made to a particular pattern or style.
The two most common were the "Lancaster" and the "English" patterns.
By "Lancaster" I am talking of a plainer version of the American Long Rifle...made in Lancaster County Pa.
The English pattern rifles were based on popular English style sporting rifles.

Maple and walnut were common stock woods , brass was used for the trigger guards , patchboxes , and such...
Barrels ran from 32 - 42 inches in length....again depending on the order...most early rifles had longer barrels...but this is not a hard and fast rule.
Calibers were in the .47 - .58 caliber range. .47 / .53 being very common.
Makers of Trade Rifles include :
J. Henry
Jacob Dickert
Henry Leman
And many others....

A note on Trade Rifles / Guns...often the word "cheap" is seen in period accounts.
"Cheap" in the 1800's meant thrifty or inexpensive..Not poorly made , just plainer made.
The Indian knew a good product as well as having a good idea of what his goods were worth....and would very often pass on a product of inferior quality

Private purchase rifles were again flintlock , percussion or later of the breech loading type.
Rifles of this type are often referred to as "Sporting Rifles" or if made in the South as "Southern Rifles".
These rifles conformed to the styling of the day or region made...but perhaps not to all of the same pattern.
Many of the same makers of Trade Rifles and Guns , made firearms for private purchase.
A famous sporting rifle maker , were the Hawken Brothers out of St. Louis...
A discussion of them and their rifle in regards to the fur trade deserves its own thread.

DSC06814.jpg
A J. Henry Trade rifle circa 1800
DSC06789.jpg
A Henry Leman Trade Rifle circa late 1830's
DSC06619 (1).jpg
A "Sporting Rifle" of the 1840's - 1850's
Iron mounted.jpg
Two "Southern Rifles "

Smooth Bores...
Shotguns , fowlers , "Fusils" , Northwest Trade Guns / Trade Guns , surplus muskets , and "Smooth Rifles"...
All seen and listed in accounts and ledgers.
Gauges found are 28 , 20 , 16 , 12 and even .410ish....

Shotguns...
Generally speaking of the double barrel type , either flint or percussion or much later breech loading.

Fowler..
A single barrel shotgun , usually flint or percussion.
DSC06557.jpg
A Flintlock Fowler

"Fusil"...
Can mean many things depending on the writer.
It can be :
A light weight single barrel shotgun...
A light weight , fancy , private purchase musket ...
Or a term for a Northwest Trade Gun...
A Northwest Trade Gun was a smooth bore gun originally made for the Northwest Company and Hudson Bay Company .
It came in either flint or percussion and was adopted for use by almost all fur trade companies regardless of origin....
And was the most popular of firearms for trade.
DSC06822.jpg
A "Fusil"

Northwest Gun / Trade Gun...
See above.
DSC06834.jpg
A Side Plate of a Northwest Gun....the "Serpent" / "Dragon" was a "trademark" of this type of gun
DSC06824.jpg
Top firearm is a Northwest Trade Gun made by Parker Field , 1834 ( converted from flint )
Bottom firearm is a late Trade Rifle made by J. Henry

Surplus Muskets...
New or used older pattern military muskets given or traded to the tribes.

Smooth Rifles..
Look like rifles...with curved butt plates , front and rear sights...maybe even double set triggers....
But were made with smooth bores and were never rifled.
Calibers are generally .45 and up.

Pistols...
Flint , percussion or later breech loading...
Many were of the "Trade type" , plainer versions of popular civilian pistols or military models.
Rifled or smooth bore as well.
Calibers range from .40 - .75
Percussion and cartridge revolvers were seen from time to time...but again expensive.
DSC03431.jpg
Typical "pocket pistol" of the 1760's - 1800 era.

Well I hope that this thread was informative and not too boring...:D
Andy

It seems that in modern muzzeloaders they are all rifled to some degree of varying twists. It sounds like smooth bores and rifling existed side by side back then, was this an issue of cost savings, or to some users was a smooth bore a more preferred rifle for whatever reasoning/accuracy?

It seems that in modern muzzeloaders they are all rifled to some degree of varying twists. It sounds like smooth bores and rifling existed side by side back then, was this an issue of cost savings, or to some users was a smooth bore a more preferred rifle for whatever reasoning/accuracy?
Rifling has been around since the 1500's....
I once owed a rifle that was dated 1679 and it had rifling...but the deep groove were straight....no twist .

Smooth bores are a bit more versatile ....as one can shoot round ball or shot out of the same gun.
Some tribes wanted rifles Delaware and Seminoles were noted rifle marksman...
The Osage preferred smooth rifles...and the Blackfeet liked the Northwest Trade Gun ( smooth bore )

It was all about making a profit....so the traders , sold and traded what the tribes wanted.

As a general rule the smooth bore was less expensive...
A Trade Rifle of the 1830's was around $12- $15 .... A Trade Gun was around $8 - $12.
In the middle 1830's HBC wanted 5 buffalo robes or 2 sliver fox pelts for a Northwest gun.

I can get good accuracy , out to 100 yards or so , with a smooth bore and round ball , the trick being practice and using a proper size round ball with a good fitting patch .

While traders and trappers molded their own round ball , most tribes did not....so they often used whatever round ball was on hand , as opposed to what the gun was meant to be used with.
Andy

Flint vs caps, I'm thinking that the flints last quite a bit longer the a tin of caps, also flints being larger are easier to handle and not lose.

With regard to flint its not like you were 'handling' it every time you shot the rifle as the flint was typically mounted in place on the hammer and only handled when replaced.

Percussion caps were vastly superior to flint ignition in all aspects. With flint your 'priming' charge was exposed to the elements, there were additional parts with flint ignition, your hammer could loosen and you could lose your flint without knowing it - or it could break at the wrong time.

If percussion caps had not been superior we may never have seen cartridge ammo.

Last Edited:
Flint vs caps, I'm thinking that the flints last quite a bit longer the a tin of caps, also flints being larger are easier to handle and not lose.

A tin of caps has 100 caps in it....after cleaning and oiling your firearm its a good idea to "bust a few caps" to drive out any oil...so you won't get 100 actual shots from a tin.

As for flints...some last long , others not so long...its a rock and rocks break.
Each time you shoot....you chip away the edge of the flint.
You can re-knap the flint ....but they do 'go away" no matter what.

I have had flints last for 20 - 40 shots...others only a few shots...
Just depends on the flint and in some cases the frizzen of the firearm.

Cappers both store bought and "homemade" were in use...I like to use a strip of leather , that holds caps , if I am to use a capper.

Flintlocks are a bit quicker to load....as there is no messing around with a cap or capper...
Measure the powder from your horn , pour the powder , place the patch and ball on the muzzle....ram the patch and ball down...then prime...from your horn.
Notice I said horn , not priming horn....priming horns are a "new" thing not in use during most of the 1800's...
At least not in the western fur trade....some target shooters in the 1840's , back East ( maybe ) , but not on the western frontier.

As for which is better Cap or Flintlock....Hmmm...
9mm or .45ACP
Ford vs. Chevy

I think the percussion system caught on , because it was less expensive to make than a well tuned flintlock....not for any huge superior qualities.
Also there is a little less chance of human error with the "priming" ( capping ) of a gun .....
With modern caps there is less erosion to the breech area....than with a flintlock....

The flintlock has been around in continuous use ( albeit limited after a certain date ) since its introduction in 17th century.....that's a long while for a action type to be in use....the percussion system was invented in the mid 1820's caught on in the mid to late 1830's ....so its a new kid on the block....:D

Both systems work and work well....
Andy

As for which is better....Hmmm...
9mm or .45ACP
Ford vs. Chevy
Comparing calibers is not the same as ignition systems considering both calibers use primers.

With regard to vehicles it is the same - as they are both typically powered by internal combustion engines.

The flintlock has been around in continuous use ( albeit limited after a certain date ) since its introduction in 17th century.....that's a long while for a action type to be in use....
This is true however it is only still in existence as a novelty for historical provenance and not for any military, law enforcement or common use.

But hey, I am a muzzleloader shooter as well and have been for a long time!

Last Edited:
Comparing calibers is not the same as ignition systems considering both calibers use primers.

With regard to vehicles it is the same - as they are both typically powered by internal combustion engines.
Sigh....
My point here is that both the percussion and flintlock system work and work well.
Which one is better...is often like when choosing a caliber or car...a matter of personal preference .
Andy

I thought the main advantage of a percussion cap vs a flintlock was lessor what we call lock time in modern cartridges. Basicly the time between when the hammer falls and the gun fires.

I thought the main advantage of a percussion cap vs a flintlock was lessor what we call lock time in modern cartridges. Basicly the time between when the hammer falls and the gun fires.
Flintlocks are actually faster than the percussion lock....
Check out R.E. Davis and their lock videos...Now with that said....
Faster being milliseconds....not like you can tell with the naked eye.
www.redaviscompany.com

The biggest advantages to the percussion lock are that :
It is cheaper to make than a well tuned flintlock...
And it has less user error when placing a cap on the nipple...
Than when checking the edge of the flint , making sure the jaw is tight , the flint is clean , then vent and pan clean or clear , etc....

And with that said...
A good flintlock shooter can do all that quickly....practice is your friend here.
Andy

Thanks Andy, I've had a couple percussion firearms but no Flintlocks. I just remember seeing on you tube and the like, a big puff of smoke and a bit of a wait before the gun went bang with the flintlock. I know there a delay with the percussion caps but it looked longer flintlocks.

Thanks Andy, I've had a couple percussion firearms but no Flintlocks. I just remember seeing on you tube and the like, a big puff of smoke and a bit of a wait before the gun went bang with the flintlock. I know there a delay with the percussion caps but it looked longer flintlocks.

There can be a delay...
it depends on :
How clear the vent hole is...
Humidity in the air ( although I have had this happen with cap locks as well )
Where the powder is at in the pan...
How much powder in is in the pan...
How dirty the gun is....( again , this can happen with percussion guns as well )
If black powder is used or a substitute powder is used ( Do Not Use a BP Substitute in a Flintlock )
How sharp the flint is...
What shape the frizzen is in....
How small the vent hole liner is ....
( a vent hole liner needs to be large if used at all....many of today's guns use a vent hole that is much too small )

Flintlocks are a excellent system....there is just a bit more to know about them , than with the percussion system.

That said my favorite rifle of all is my Hawken Rifle copy....a percussion rifle.....:D
Andy

A thought about flintlocks vs. percussion locks....

A well tuned flintlock takes time to make and fit into a stock properly , so that it aligns with the vent hole.
This takes as mentioned time and skill to do .
A percussion lock is a bit more "forgiving" in regards to rifle building...And shooting.

Another thing to consider with "modern" locks be they flintlock or percussion...is that many use a coil spring for a main spring instead of a traditional leaf spring.
A coil spring is less expensive...but also loses it "oomph" over time and leads to ignition problems.
( Here I am speaking of "Off the Shelf" locks commonly seen on guns like Lyman and Thompson Center...even some Perdersoli models )

Also many off the shelf flintlocks have poor lock placement ( called Lock Geometry in gun building ) .
Suffer from having a vent liner that is too narrow ...
And at times a poor hardened frizzen ...( Oh My...:eek: :D )

To be honest I can not recommend many "off the shelf " flintlock firearms...and for that matter I have seen many custom flintlock firearms with the same issues as above.

I like to own and shoot both types of guns.
My two favorite muzzle loading guns to shoot are :
My Hawken Rifle Copy , a percussion rifle. ( Actually this is my favorite gun of all to shoot )
And my flintlock Fowler , made by G. Laloux...
He was a Belgium gun maker and his company made guns from 1834 - 1920.

Both systems work well , if well made and one take the time to learn them.
Andy

Is there a modern re-production that is close to worth getting? Or save for an older one with a makers name on it? I was eyeing the lyman great plains rifle with 1in60 twist, percussion? I'm thinking it would need a new spring, but other than that?

Is there a modern re-production that is close to worth getting? Or save for an older one with a makers name on it? I was eyeing the lyman great plains rifle with 1in60 twist, percussion? I'm thinking it would need a new spring, but other than that?

The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is a nice rifle.
it is not a copy of any particular rifle...nor all that historically accurate in some respects...if that is important to you.
A new spring can be had...they can be a PITA to install....a new lock with a leaf spring is around $125...
To be fair...it takes some shooting to put wear on a coil spring...so a new spring or lock may not be a issue for many folks.

If you are at all handy with tools...
A original rifle , that might just need a bit of TLC to get working again are around , and this rifle may be the same cost as a new rifle , that is not a copy of anything.
That said....
Original guns are fun to shoot...but I can't recommend one for a person to shoot a lot .
A few times a year...with light loads sure...but not as a everyday shooter.

Pedersoli's " Missouri River Hawken Rifle " is a nice option...again not a copy of any actual rifle...but great quality.
The English made Parker Hale reproduction firearms are excellent in all respects....

Many used custom guns are out there ...take your time and look at those as well.
Andy

I've been enjoying reading this thread on and off today. @Andy54Hawken you should write a book on this topic. And I am not saying this in a jesting manner; I mean that literally. This information needs to be preserved in an accessible format. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top