JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No disrespect Andy, and haven't read this yet, though it's on my short list this week.
The title makes me think of @Stomper's Garand Thumb picture from a few years ago. That's a Firearm in the Western Fur Trade if there ever was one. I'm sure his pic was deleted long ago.... :D:D

A Winchester model 66 was a popular model for sure.
Sitting Bull was said to have owned one...
'Course it seems like every rifle with brass tacks , is said to have been owned by a famous Indian or mountain man.

I have a rifle that might have some historic connection to Bill Williams....
I say might...because after all these years...its tough to say for sure.

What I do know about the rifles that I own and display is that they are old ( most of them anyways )
And I may even have a good idea of who made some them...but other than that ....its hard to be sure.
Andy

I'm unique in that i'm stuck in the era between traditional Muzzleloaders and early Cartridge arms, specifically the Colt patent of 1855 with Elijah Root as chief engineer and smith doing his magic. As such, this era represents a very unique period between the two, the need and desire for a "Repeater" while still working within the Powders, materials, and craftsmanship available at that time. I can also answer the questions of Percussion ignition vs Flint. Short version is that with percussion, you (Can) get a much hotter and faster moving ignition source, it's usually sealed to a nipple, and requires much less tuning and is somewhat easier to maintain! Galled or rusted threads, split nipples, or the most common, plugged, are the most common issues, and thus, generally easier then flinters! That said, it's an evolution in firearms that paved the way to self contained cartridges which would come later! As far as being more reliable then flints, keep in mind that the quality and "Grind" of a powder will have more of an effect in speed of ignition then anything else, lock times being pretty much the same between them. With nice dry fine grain fast powder, a flint can be every bit as fast igniting the main charge as a cap, the only real difference after that is the cap making a much hotter and more reliable flame! Think of it like this, a traditional automotive ignition source like a magneto vs a modern ultra high tension system with seriously powerful coil packs, both do the same job, but the new systems are much more powerful AND reliable!

1592800239573.png
A very slick custom from the Colt catalog in 1863 a MK-4 in .50 caliber.

1592800398758.png
And the one that started me on the path of all things early Colt, my early 1859 standard MK-4 .44 caliber frontier carbine, and by far, my favorite shooter!
All are exceptionally accurate, and quite powerful, with the .50 almost the equal of a Sharps .45/70 and the .44 not too far behind it, but flatter shooting!
These were the FIRST true repeaters, and all others still came up short until the true capabilities of the self contained cartridges became apparent! Most of these continued to serve their owners LONG after the new fancy self contained rifles had taken over, being well respected for their accuracy and stopping power! In fact, many of the thousands of Buffalo killed off were felled by these Colt's!

1592800239573-png.713286

Be still, my beating heart. My love for handy carbines is no mystery. If I ever finish that time machine, and I find myself in the 1860s, I so know what I'm carrying ... :s0155:

1592800239573-png.713286

Be still, my beating heart. My love for handy carbines is no mystery. If I ever finish that time machine, and I find myself in the 1860s, I so know what I'm carrying ... :s0155:
Once you have had the chance to try one, you will want one! You will not rest until you have at least the one, and most likely, you will want more in the various Marks,calibers, and gauges that were made! A truly fascinating rifle, one that must have seemed very futuristic at the time! A marvel of what the craftsman's hands could make at the time, and a true work of art!

i'll take an AR, a glock 19 and the unlimited ammo perk and WIN the west.

:D:eek::D:eek:;)
Give me a .50 cal Colt Side Hammer, a 50 pound cask of 3F, couple hundred pounds of good lead, a case of #11 "Magnum" Musket caps, and 4 spare cylinders with a pocket full of nipples, and I would be right there with ya! Add a pair of real Colt second issue MK-1 Dragoon .44s to the mix, and were all set for end of the world as we know it! :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top