JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So with the 19th coming up soon , a thread about the firearms used at the battles of Lexington and Concord seems appropriate.

Muskets...some folks say....
Yes , I reply...but which ones...?

The English used what is commonly called a Brown Bess musket.
Some claim that the name refers to the dark brown walnut stock used....
Others say that the name Bess is referencing a prostitute....
Take yer pick here....it was before my time in the Army....so I can't say for sure.

At the time of the battle in question the English were using the Long Land Pattern of 1722...
With a 46 inch barrel and a caliber of .75- .80
Along with the Short Land Pattern of 1768 with a 42 inch barrel and again a caliber of .75 - .80.

The Long Land Pattern was mostly seen with Infantry ...The Short Land Pattern was mostly used with Light Infantry .
( The above is to be read as a general rule...exceptions are easily found )

Weight of these muskets were around 10 - 11 pounds...however they did balance well...
Which was important , since the musket was mainly a handle for your bayonet , according to popular tactics of the time period here.
Muskets were smooth bore...with no rear sights...what was used as a front sight was actually the bayonet lug.

To load your musket you....
Reached into your cartridge box and retrieved a paper cartridge , consisting of powder and ball ...or powder and buck and ball...
Bite the end of the cartridge with the powder to tear it open... Place the hammer at half cock ...open the frizzen on your lock...pour a little of the powder into the pan....close the frizzen...
Pour the powder down the bore...remove the ram rod , push the rest of cartridge , paper and all down the bore....
Return the ram rod to the stock...don't leave it in the bore...embarrassing at best...deadly for you at worst...since you can't re-load after you shoot yer ramrod down range...
Place your musket at full cock...bring it up to your shoulder...aim...and fire....
With your thumb...wipe clean the bottom of the flint , while checking the flint for sharpness. and looseness...wipe out the pan...check the vent hole...re-load...and fire again...
Easy...:D

Some English officers and occasionally some English NCO's carried what was called a Fusil.
In the time period this term had many different definitions ...In this case we are talking about a smooth bore Musket...which looked a lot like the standard issue Bess...
But was a bit trimmer , shorter and lighter...often with a slightly smaller caliber of the .62 - .72 range.
Many times they also came with fancy silver inlays and the like.
Loading and firing was the same as for a regular issue musket.

Accuracy when the bore was clean was pretty good..despite the lack of a rear sight and the commonly held idea that they weren't accurate.
Bore size ranges of .75- 80 , combined with a round ball of around .700 - .725 and no patch...were leading causes of the lack of accuracy.
( The idea here was speed in loading and shooting...getting as much lead in the direction of the enemy , not individual marksmanship )
This and the fact that it is difficult to aim properly when you are getting shot at...and your buddies are getting shot...also didn't help.
The effective range of a musket was around 100 - 300 yards....rate of fire around 3 shots per minute.

The Americans at this time used...
Brown Bess Muskets...American made Committee of Safety Muskets....Fusils and Fowling pieces.
The Brown Bess Muskets were older issue...and mostly of the first Land Pattern...again exceptions are found.
The Committee of Safety Muskets were Muskets made here in America with old or surplus parts and made to First or Second Land Pattern Brown Bess styling.
Most locks were English origin...imported right up to the start of the war.
Some Committee of Safety Muskets were of French or Spanish design...again made in America...these were in a smaller caliber of .65 - .69 range.
Fusils in this case , were like the English ones , described above...or a very fancy well made sporting gun fitted at times with a bayonet lug...
Fowlers / Fowling pieces were simply flintlock shotguns...at times fitted with a bayonet lug...most commonly seen in 28 , 20 , 16 , 12 and 10 gauge.
All of the above could fire shot..single ball...or buck and ball...usually in the case of Muskets and Fusils...loaded with paper cartridges.
Fowlers...could also be loaded with paper cartridges...however...when used as hunting gun...loose powder and ball was used.
Cartridges being a military / militia thing.

Some smooth bore pistols may have been used / seen as well , by both sides.
Caliber ranging from .62 - .80 or thereabouts.

Rifles...
While the rifle was used during the war ( by both sides )....
I would say that it was not present at the battles of Lexington and Concord.
No English Rifle regiments / units were around in the area....
And the American Long Rifle was more of a western , as in Pennsylvania or southern as in Virginia , Maryland , The Carolina's , Georgia , etc...rather than a northeast colony thing...during most of this time period.

If you made this far into my long azz post....

I do find it interesting that with today's laws and restrictions regarding firearms , ammo and magazine capacity....
That one could get fined if one turned up to Militia Muster with :
A substandard or ill kept firearm...
Less than 60 rounds of powder and ball...
No bayonet ..or tomahawk if your firearm did not have a bayonet lug....

Also worth pointing out...
The English were marching out to Concord to confiscate Arms such as muskets , powder and a cannon ...
All of which were privately owned.
Not trying to be political here...just pointing out some things that I find interesting.
Andy

Last Edited:
Great post, Andy. Thanks.
You are very welcome....glad you liked it.

Always worry I post too much on muzzle loaders....
Too much as in too wordy.

In any event...lots of misconceptions about the firearms used in this time period...along with the tactics.
Not to forget to mention the importance of this battle.

Militia taking on...and defeating , what was considered to be the best trained and equipped army at that time.
Not that it was a cakewalk...just pointing out the shock value alone for both sides...
A definite WTH just happened / What did we just start moment.
Andy

Thanks for posting that Andy.

I often wounder, how many Militiamen of the day had a "pipe tomahawk" as they marched off to war. It served two purposes and would have cut down a little on the weight that they might have to carry.

So with the 19th coming up soon , a thread about the firearms used at the battles of Lexington and Concord seems appropriate.

Take yer pick here....it was before my time in the Army....so I can't say for sure.

At the time of the battle in question the English were using the Long Land Pattern of 1722...
Along with the Short Land Pattern of 1768 with a 42 inch barrel and again a caliber of .75 - .80.

The Long Land Pattern was mostly seen with Infantry ...The Short Land Pattern was mostly used with Light Infantry .

Weight of these muskets were around 10 - 11 pounds...however they did balance well...
Which was important , since the musket was mainly a handle for your bayonet , according to popular tactics of the time period here.
Muskets were smooth bore...with no rear sights...what was used as a front sight was actually the bayonet lug.

Reached into your cartridge box and retrieved a paper cartridge , consisting of powder and ball ...or powder and buck and ball...
Bite the end of the cartridge with the powder to tear it open... Place the hammer at half cock ...open the frizzen on your lock...pour a little of the powder into the pan....close the frizzen...
Pour the powder down the bore...remove the ram rod , push the rest of cartridge , paper and all down the bore....
Return the ram rod to the stock...don't leave it in the bore...embarrassing at best...deadly for you at worst...since you can't re-load after you shoot yer ramrod down range...
Place your musket at full cock...bring it up to your shoulder...aim...and fire....
With your thumb...wipe clean the bottom of the flint , while checking the flint for sharpness. and looseness...wipe out the pan...check the vent hole...re-load...and fire again...

Some English officers and occasionally some English NCO's carried what was called a Fusil.
In the time period this term had many different definitions ...In this case we are talking about a smooth bore Musket...which looked a lot like the standard issue Bess...
But was a bit trimmer , shorter and lighter...often with a slightly smaller caliber of the .62 - .72 range.

Accuracy when the bore was clean was pretty good..despite the lack of a rear sight and the commonly held idea that they weren't accurate.
Bore size ranges of .75- 80 , combined with a round ball of around .700 - .725 and no patch...were leading causes of the lack of accuracy.
( The idea here was speed in loading and shooting...getting as much lead in the direction of the enemy , not individual marksmanship )
This and the fact that it is difficult to aim properly when you are getting shot at...and your buddies are getting shot...also didn't help.
The effective range of a musket was around 100 - 300 yards....rate of fire around 3 shots per minute.

Brown Bess Muskets...American made Committee of Safety Muskets....Fusils and Fowling pieces.
The Brown Bess Muskets were older issue...and mostly of the first Land Pattern...again exceptions are found.
The Committee of Safety Muskets were Muskets made here in America with old or surplus parts and made to First or Second Land Pattern Brown Bess styling.
Some Committee of Safety Muskets were of French or Spanish design...again made in America...these were in a smaller caliber of .65 - .69 range.
Fusils in this case , were like the English ones , described above...or a very fancy well made sporting gun fitted at times with a bayonet lug...
Fowlers / Fowling pieces were simply flintlock shotguns...at times fitted with a bayonet lug...most commonly seen in 28 , 20 , 16 , 12 and 10 gauge.
All of the above could fire shot..single ball...or buck and ball...usually in the case of Muskets and Fusils...loaded with paper cartridges.
Fowlers...could also be loaded with paper cartridges...however...when used as hunting gun...loose powder and ball was used.

Rifles...
And the American Long Rifle was more of a western , as in Pennsylvania or southern as in Virginia , Maryland , The Carolina's , Georgia , etc...rather than a northeast colony thing...during most of this time period.

I do find it interesting that with today's laws and restrictions regarding firearms , ammo and magazine capacity....

The English were marching out to Concord to confiscate Arms such as muskets , powder and a cannon ...
Not trying to be political here...just pointing out some things that I find interesting.
Andy

Excellent Post @Andy54Hawken Thanks for the extensive research! I appreciate the History.

For a little more Color regarding the events of That Day, I offer the following...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k6zq_Y_IzA&ab_channel=BartlettIdeaCo

Thanks for posting that Andy.

I often wounder, how many Militiamen of the day had a "pipe tomahawk" as they marched off to war. It served two purposes and would have cut down a little on the weight that they might have to carry.
Pipe tomahawks are a neat item...
I have two...one is a older reproduction from the 1970's...
The other is an original...from the 1850's -1870's or so....this one is brass with a steel cutting bit inserted on the edge.
( Still gets used from time to time...I did make a replacement handle )

While I have used them for both for smoking and cutting / chopping....
They are a bit light and fragile for serious use as a hand axe.
I think that they were more of a prestige item..and any cutting / chopping use was for tobacco only.

On the other hand....
Tomahawks were a required item in many Militia Musters , if your firearm did not have a bayonet lug.
Many Riflemen of the time period carried one...that or a large fighting knife.

Original pipe tomahawk shown in the middle.
Andy

Last Edited:

Rifles...

Andy
Great article.

I really enjoyed that too, but have to admit... the prevailing thought I had throughout the read... and kind of gave me the shivers from time to time... was, "how f'ed up would it be getting nailed with a .75-.80cal!!?" :D

Granted there would be fewer rounds in the air and much less chance of being struck, but if one connected, that would seriously ruin your day. It certainly had to take some big brass ones to face down the open end of a musket.

They were the weapon of the time and soldiers likely didn't think of it in the same terms that we might today, but just sayin... I'd be wearing diapers.:s0155:

Last Edited:
I really enjoyed that too, but have to admit... the prevailing thought I had throughout the read... and kind of gave me the shivers from time to time... was, "how f'ed up would it be getting nailed with a .75-.80cal!!?" :D

Granted there would be fewer rounds in the air and much less chance of being struck, but if one connected, that would seriously ruin your day. It certainly had to take some big brass ones to face down the open end of a musket.

They were the weapon of the time and soldiers likely didn't think of it in the same terms that we might today, but just sayin... I'd be wearing diapers.:s0155:
Some things to consider here :

The muskets were fairly accurate.....more than "popular wisdom" has them to be....

A line of soldiers might have 100 or more soldiers firing at once...that is a lot of lead in the air , heading your direction no matter what time period we are talking about

The bayonet , while not having a sharp edge , had a long 10 - 15 inch or so triangle blade that came to sharp point...

That round ball may have hit and passed through a soldier in the front rank...only to hit another soldier in the next rank...
Eww...

The round ball may have carried and handled a lot in leather pouch before being fired....
Picking up all kinds of debris.....all entering the wound channel...

A hit to an arm or leg...generally meant the loss of the arm or leg.
Please note that the medical practices of the day didn't help much either.
Andy

Last Edited:
Morgan's Riflemen

Daniel Morgan got his start in the Revolutionary War in 1775 as the captain of a small rifle unit set up by the state of Virginia, one of 10 such units commissioned by Congress. Morgan recruited 96 men (80 men and 16 officers), marched 600 miles, arriving in Boston on August 6, 1775. They gave an exhibition as described in the Virginia Gazette of September 9, 1775: "A man held between his knees a board 5 inches wide and seven inches long, with a paper bulls-eye the size of a dollar. A rifleman at 60 yards without a rest, put eight bullets in succession through the bulls-eye." From the same source we are told that the rifleman gave an exhibition "in which a company, on a quick advance, placed their shots in 7 inch targets at 250 yards".

Morgan's Riflemen

Daniel Morgan got his start in the Revolutionary War in 1775 as the captain of a small rifle unit set up by the state of Virginia, one of 10 such units commissioned by Congress. Morgan recruited 96 men (80 men and 16 officers), marched 600 miles, arriving in Boston on August 6, 1775. They gave an exhibition as described in the Virginia Gazette of September 9, 1775: "A man held between his knees a board 5 inches wide and seven inches long, with a paper bulls-eye the size of a dollar. A rifleman at 60 yards without a rest, put eight bullets in succession through the bulls-eye." From the same source we are told that the rifleman gave an exhibition "in which a company, on a quick advance, placed their shots in 7 inch targets at 250 yards".

Morgan's Riflemen were quite the unit in the Revolutionary war for sure.

Other Riflemen were involved with George Rogers Clark and his expedition to capture the English at Kaskaskia , Cahokia and Vincennes in what was then known as the Illinois Country.

The October 1780 battle at Kings Mountain involved Riflemen on both sides....
Many Patriot and Tory units were armed with the American Long Rifle...and some English troops were armed with the Ferguson Rifle.

While not of the Revolutionary War...this rifle does "touch on that era"...since it is from 1800- 1820 or so.
It isn't much different from many American rifles of the war.
Andy

I don't have Andy's cool rifle, but I have this patch I'm pretty proud of.

Daniel Morgan.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads