JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new here in Washington and don't have proof of residency yet.
I'll be going to the DMV some time this week.

My question is, can I sell a firearm without proof of residency?
I know I have to go through a FFL and I read up a bit on the laws regarding transfers but I didn't see anything about the sellers residency status.

I'm new here in Washington and don't have proof of residency yet.
I'll be going to the DMV some time this week.

My question is, can I sell a firearm without proof of residency?
I know I have to go through a FFL and I read up a bit on the laws regarding transfers but I didn't see anything about the sellers residency status.

You do not have to be a WA resident to sell your gun.

As an example, a lot of OR residents drive into WA to transfer a pistol to avoid the Shipping costs that would be incurred if they didn't drive into the state.

You do not have to be a WA resident to sell your gun.

As an example, a lot of OR residents drive into WA to transfer a pistol to avoid the Shipping costs that would be incurred if they didn't drive into the state.
But Oregon has no sales tax but Washington does so if you sell your gun in Washington sombodsy's got to pay the taxes .
This will be added to the transfer fee in Washington.
I ordered a few guns on line .
Had them shipped to a FFL here .
So because of the online sales tax.
I paid tax for South Carolina.
And I paid tax for Washington state.when I picked them up .
So just remember that.

And I just bought two pistols from a online gun store in North Carolina.
Had them shipped here to my FFL dealer.
But I bought one for me and one for a friend.
But today when I went to do the paperwork.
I told them I bought one for me and one for a friend.he will come in and do a background check.
But they told me sense I ordered them I have to take possession of them both .
Then I can transfer one to my friend.
Lol for another 40 dollar tansfer fee
Lol oh well I did the paper work background check and was put on a delay so now my friend has to wait till the 19 to get his 22 pistol I bought for him .
Lol I bet or I know if we could have done a straight transfer to him he could have had his gun right now . because he doesn't get a delay.
Mmmmmm the back ground check system is a Joke.
Lol did I forget to say I walked out of the same store today with a 9mm that I did back ground check 2 weeks ago.
Lol so I picked up a 9mm pistol and was delayed on two 22 pistols all with in 15 MINUTES

Last Edited:
But Oregon has no sales tax but Washington does so if you sell your gun in Washington sombodsy's got to pay the taxes .
This will be added to the transfer fee in Washington.
I ordered a few guns on line .
Had them shipped to a FFL here .
So because of the online sales tax.
I paid tax for South Carolina.
And I paid tax for Washington state.when I picked them up .
So just remember that.

FTF transfers are not taxed.

The new online taxes are in effect .
Before you would only pay the taxes for the state it came from but now you pay Washington taxes also .
Washington State wants there money.

In Washington you pay taxes I ordered guns online pay the taxes.
Then when I pick up the gun here I pay Washington taxes also.

Face to face on a used gun there is no tax...

All I buy are used guns and have never paid more then the transfer fee.

Your dragging interstate taxes into a question about does a guy need to be a resident to sell a gun in WA.

The FFL transfer is not taxed but the perchance is taxed .
I buy a gun online for 250 bucks depends on what state I buy it from it goes up a little bit.
But when I pick it up in here in Washington .
I am charge 21 dollars Washington taxes

Face to face on a used gun there is no tax...

All I buy are used guns and have never paid more then the transfer fee.

Your dragging interstate taxes into a question about does a guy need to be a resident to sell a gun in WA.
I'm not talking about face to face used gun

He probably doesn't care but I thought I would put it out there .
And just because in the future .
If the left gets there way you will not be able to sale your guns .face to face or any other way

I'm not sure where the misunderstanding is but your equating a ffl to ffl from out of state to a face to face transfer on a used gun.

Call an ffl tomorrow and ask them what taxes you have to pay for a FTF transfer to another private buyer.

I'm not sure where the misunderstanding is but your equating a ffl to ffl from out of state to a face to face transfer on a used gun.

Call an ffl tomorrow and ask them what taxes you have to pay for a FTF transfer to another private buyer.
Lol your right I

Ok anyway I get what you're saying now .
I am going to transfer the gun to my friend .face to face via FFL and yes we will not have to pay a tax for that .just the transfer fee .
I was talking about new gun .
SORRY I MESSED UP

But you do have to be a resident of Wa for 90 days to buy a gun in Washington.

Uh no? Unless the law changed recently?

I bought a rifle in WA. I believe I still can.

Now a handgun? Yes, in any state, you have to be a resident of that state to buy a handgun. Federal law.

But I don't believe you have to be a resident for 90 days.

I've bought NEW guns from out of state, even recently, and unless they collect taxes within the state from where the gun is being shipped from, you do NOT have any tax to pay, Only the transfer cost. My FFL dealer even said there is NO tax to pay on out of state guns shipped into WA State unless the state collects taxes from which it was shipped from only, which there is only about 4 states nation wide collecting tax money that way right now. I also order all my stuff over a phone . I do NOT ever enter card info online either. New guns sold within WA State and bought new here are taxed.:cool:

Uh no? Unless the law changed recently?

I bought a rifle in WA. I believe I still can.

Now a handgun? Yes, in any state, you have to be a resident of that state to buy a handgun. Federal law.

But I don't believe you have to be a resident for 90 days.
But you don't live in Washington and you got a RIFLE .
If you live in Washington and want to buy a handgun you have to have lived in Washington for 90 days .lol don't tell me I'm wrong I have just filled out the paperwork 4 times in the last two weeks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top