JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fire_180721.jpg

Fire just started this afternoon at a local gun club (!). It's about 1.5 miles south of us. This is the view from my front yard. The winds are (fortunately) calm at the moment, but when they blow, they are generally from the southeast, which would push it right at us.

I've got the truck loaded (family photos, guns, ammo, dog food, clothes, etc.). If I get the evac order, I'll unplug the computer and toss it in and get the F out.

I hate this time of year.

Or somebody just not shooting safely. We for a few have shut down shooting at our private SW Oregon shale quarry. Too dry. No water supply. But then we do not know yet what caused your fire. Yes it sucks big time to live near or in the woods this time of year in the Pacific Northwest.

But then again it beats living and working in San Jose CA. :)

1.5 miles is too darn close.

edited for s/p w/w

Last Edited:
I was going to go shoot steel tomorrow out in the woods, but I decided the risk isn't worth it.

We're at Level 2 for now. My sense is if the winds stay this way we'll be fine. There are at least 8 aircraft working this fire at the moment. With another hour of daylight, I'm hoping they'll establish a good line before it reaches the ridge to our south.

If it gets over that ridge, we're screwed.

Level Three. I think they called that a bit prematurely, probably as a precaution because it's getting dark.

We're ready to go. But there's no wind and a calm night is forecast, so we and our neighbors are hanging tight until we see flames come over the ridge one mile to the south. I won't be sleeping tonight, so I'll be able to keep an eye on things from here.

Latest update: 10% contained. Forward progress has been stopped. Level 2 and Level 3 evacuations will remain in place through the night. Makes sense. Barring a sudden hurricane, I think we'll be all right.

Somebody was shooting yesterday - in the direction of my logging op. Got in the truck with a pistol and shotgun just to make sure it wasn't somebody shooting up the equipment or trespassing. Got over there and heard them the next gully over. My diesel truck is relatively loud, and they stopped afterwards - good. Very dry here with a LOT of wood laying on the ground just ready to go up with the slightest spark. There is a water truck with fire equipment there, but I think in a week or two it will be gone - I think they are wrapping up.

Then this morning - about 345 AM - there was a quiet shot down by the creek. I wonder why anyone would be shooting in the dark? I noticed when I was down there Friday that it looked like a sheet of canvas or something was setup by the creek - maybe someone camping down there - mentioned it to neighbor who is going to pass it on to the owner of the property.

We could do with a little rain. :(

Morning update: They lowered us to Level Two around 10:30 last night (glad I didn't leave!). Went to bed. I was apparently exhausted (worry and packing does that, I guess). I just woke up. The wind is still. Not much smoke. Haven't heard any aircraft. Will check the news and see if they got it contained over the night. It was small (50 acres or so) so that's a possibility.

Whew!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads