JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
:s0155: Had it a couple weeks before I managed to get out to the woods with it, and I could not be happier with it! Feels great in my hand, soaks up most of the recoil, and definitely more accurate than me. Anybody have any tidbits or recommendations for my new pistol? It is the first large frame semi auto I've owned, just .22s and a .38 snubbie up until now. Also, any good field holster recommendations?

Last Edited:
As with any new pistol get 50-100 rounds through it to break it in.
Great guns, and ignore the naysayers, they are 100% dependable.

It wasn't an all day trip or anything, but I managed to get 60 or so through it, and it has noticably loosened up a bit. Everything was a bit stiff beforehand but I can see punching paper for hours with this thing and never getting tired of it. For a second I thought the grip was a touch too big, but once it was loaded and pointed down range it fit like a glove. I just need to work on pulling up and to the left when I fire. I'm no expert marksman yet, but at 15 to 20 paces I was still getting 6 inch groups (not that impressive to some, but I'm still young and green and it made me happy). Plus, ammo is much cheaper than .38 special for target shooting.

I have owned a couple of P95s (with stainless slides) over the years. It's a good, inexpensive gun.

I have found that Mecgar brand mags (they actually make factory mags for many gun companies) are better than factory mags... Only time I prefer an aftermarket mag to a factory mag. The body of the mag is thicker, and it flexes less. So, you may want to keep that in mind.

But, the gun is very reliable. And, recoil is low for a polymer handgun.

COngrats!

As with any new pistol get 50-100 rounds through it to break it in.
Great guns, and ignore the naysayers, they are 100% dependable.

Mine has been 100% dependable from day 1. Shot right out of the box. Eats everything its fed without fail.

For going into the woods and just shootin whatever, its cheap and fun. Definitely one of my favorites. :)

Got to agree...I've owned 3 ruger 45's and they are dependable, my current carry of choice is the P345.
Favorite load is a plated 185 gr SWC pushed with 8 gr of Unique.

Last Edited:
First, congrats on a new gun that you enjoy shooting. That simple thing, the fact that you enjoy shooting it, outweighs most criticisms, including the one I'm going to give.

In my experience the Ruger P series have been dogs. Functioning dogs, but dogs nevertheless.

My complaints about the P-series is that they are:

1. Vastly more bulky than other similarly-priced guns in the same caliber and size

2. very inaccurate

3. in general not put together tightly or with precision. (My friend has a p89 with grips that literally "wobble" from side to side and my P90 was loose at the slide-frame mounting).

5. Are far to bulky for comfortable concealment

5. Are built by Bill "No honest man needs more than ten rounds" Ruger's company, which deserved to die forever about five minutes after he made that statement in favor of the AWB.

Other than that, Ruger rocks.

I consider Ruger products to generally be top drawer! But, they do have some strange business practices. They don't seem to be too motivated to give customers lawful products that they desire. Having said that, my P95 has fired more than 200 rounds with out one hiccup! I'll probably keep it as long as I live.

Rugers are great guns, you can spend alot more and not get any better gun but you have to run rugers down when you realize you spent twice the money for no better gun. That the way it is sports fans.

.......5. Are built by Bill "No honest man needs more than ten rounds" Ruger's company, which deserved to die forever about five minutes after he made that statement in favor of the AWB......

I agree that Bill Ruger was wrong to say and think that, but he is dead now and the company that bears his name sells any number of high-capacity firearms. I choose to judge a company by its current actions rather than what it may have said or done in the past.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top