JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here in WA, there are places that do that same thing, by not holding onto private transfers. There's others that turn it into a gravy train and charge a storage fee, holding fee or whatever term they use, which is a nickel and dime scheme to me, but the free market allows choices of FFLs to use. Live and learn. Unfortunately the 594 BS puts all of us in WA in this position with private transfers.

I am in no anyway arguing that. I have plenty of FFLs just a bit more out of the way. I just wonder if there is a large amount of oregon FFLs are implementing it? I have had to meet someone twice due to that same policy at a different FFl. It was a pain in the A 2 hours of extra driving. It also takes actually counting on the seller to follow through with giving you the gun.
I get that, a month ago I drove an hour to Salem waited 2 hours to clear the que and then drove an hour home with the gun. This past week I drove the 2 hour turn around twice because the que was 3 days long instead of only a couple of hours. On top of that Tick Licker raised their fee to $45.00 up from $35.00 and didn't tell me, just charged me the extra when I picked up the gun. "that'll be $45.00" Oh I thought it was $35.00 "We raised the fee Jan 1st." Bottom line is that by doing me that way they've made all the money they wanted to make off of me and as I said I'm voting with my check book and going elsewhere. My next gun I've ordered new from my small FFL, He'll make $50.00 on the deal and charge me the $10.00 for the state. Easy, peasy and not so sleazy.

I think you guys over in the "valley" don't know how good you've got it. There are only two places in Bend that do private party transfers, one is $100 and the other is $75 per serial number!

Things can always be worse, I think we all know that deep down!
Google sees many FFL's. :)

All but two don't do transfers?.

Bruce

As many of you know I am a pretty consistent buyer and trader of firearms. I went in to purchase a gun from a fellow member on here. We met up at Money market pawn. Pretty solid place. Anyway I started to fill out the 4473 and Peter the owner explained to me there " new rule" to which I replied "what is the new rule?" Apparently they will no longer hold the firearm for you. Now this is a HUGE problem. Luckily I am always instant approval. But the problem remains. For example, two parties meet up to complete a transfer buyer fills out paper and is put in the que. Firearm goes home with seller. Seller and buyer have to meet up for a second time with the FFL in order to complete the transfer. I asked him if this rule was strictly for his establishment he said because people are apparently failing background checks and because you have to complete a transfer back to the original owner a significant amount of people are just abandoning said firearm to which the FFL is now stuck with possession. What do y'all think of the situation? I see both sides but man does that suck for avid buyers and traders!
That is a good problem to have as he could eventually bring the firearm into his inventory through various methods. It's his business but I think it's a mistake.

I think you guys over in the "valley" don't know how good you've got it. There are only two places in Bend that do private party transfers, one is $100 and the other is $75 per serial number!

Things can always be worse, I think we all know that deep down!
Bend is the Beverly Hills of Oregon. My Grandpa worked in the mill back in the day. My grandma gave out sandwiches to the hobos. It's not the same Bend anymore.

I'm in Wash., starting the first of the year we've got some new legal stuff. We've had the 10 day wait since the latter part of last year. So our FFL dealers and pawn shops are just now getting into storing guns pending completion of sale. Which I understand, because businesses of all kinds can run into storage problems.

So under the waiting period requirement, is the firearm actually placed on the books of the FFL dealer who is facilitating the private transfer? If so, to me it doesn't make any sense to let it go home again with the seller pending approval for the buyer. The dealer loses control over a gun that is in his care on paper,

That is a good problem to have as he could eventually bring the firearm into his inventory through various methods.
Yes, I was thinking that aren't there ways to put a lien on abandoned property, then eventually assume ownership of it? I'm thinking, "free guns."

New laws have attached strings to executing private transfers. For most of us, it's a hobby. Unless these requirements get thrown out in courts, we have to learn new ways. Letting go of a firearm will require new methods and cost fees that some aren't used to paying. Start looking upon it as the "cost of doing business." For me, it's become easier to move something on Gunbroker or similar than trying to arrange a private transfer on the ground here.

I've heard the complaint, but think about it this way. Even at $10 / transfer, it takes five minutes to input the information for the 4473 and maybe two minutes to write the info in the books. They just made $10 in fifteen minutes from one employee.

One employee brings in $40 in an hour to do a transfer.
I don't know about the math here. But one employee bringing in $40 an hour isn't profitable. Because of the cost of keeping that employee around, plus store overhead. That's why most fees around here are well over $10 per transfer. Throw in the storage requirement, that's another minus. Space in business has a cost and a value. For a smaller business, storing guns pending BGC approval comes at a cost to the business. It's one thing to have to store them for their own sales, quite another for private sellers.

I'm in Wash., starting the first of the year we've got some new legal stuff. We've had the 10 day wait since the latter part of last year. So our FFL dealers and pawn shops are just now getting into storing guns pending completion of sale. Which I understand, because businesses of all kinds can run into storage problems.

So under the waiting period requirement, is the firearm actually placed on the books of the FFL dealer who is facilitating the private transfer? If so, to me it doesn't make any sense to let it go home again with the seller pending approval for the buyer. The dealer loses control over a gun that is in his care on paper,

Yes, I was thinking that aren't there ways to put a lien on abandoned property, then eventually assume ownership of it? I'm thinking, "free guns."

New laws have attached strings to executing private transfers. For most of us, it's a hobby. Unless these requirements get thrown out in courts, we have to learn new ways. Letting go of a firearm will require new methods and cost fees that some aren't used to paying. Start looking upon it as the "cost of doing business." For me, it's become easier to move something on Gunbroker or similar than trying to arrange a private transfer on the ground here.

I don't know about the math here. But one employee bringing in $40 an hour isn't profitable. Because of the cost of keeping that employee around, plus store overhead. That's why most fees around here are well over $10 per transfer. Throw in the storage requirement, that's another minus. Space in business has a cost and a value. For a smaller business, storing guns pending BGC approval comes at a cost to the business. It's one thing to have to store them for their own sales, quite another for private sellers.
$10 is on the low side, I pay $25+BGC. $100/hr. Even with the rule of 3x, that's $33/hr to the employee, which they're not paying.

As many of you know I am a pretty consistent buyer and trader of firearms. I went in to purchase a gun from a fellow member on here. We met up at Money market pawn. Pretty solid place. Anyway I started to fill out the 4473 and Peter the owner explained to me there " new rule" to which I replied "what is the new rule?" Apparently they will no longer hold the firearm for you. Now this is a HUGE problem. Luckily I am always instant approval. But the problem remains. For example, two parties meet up to complete a transfer buyer fills out paper and is put in the que. Firearm goes home with seller. Seller and buyer have to meet up for a second time with the FFL in order to complete the transfer. I asked him if this rule was strictly for his establishment he said because people are apparently failing background checks and because you have to complete a transfer back to the original owner a significant amount of people are just abandoning said firearm to which the FFL is now stuck with possession. What do y'all think of the situation? I see both sides but man does that suck for avid buyers and traders!
My recent purchase from a member here at A Cut Above Pawn in Beaverton was the same situation. Other than that, an excellent transaction.

I've heard the complaint, but think about it this way. Even at $10 / transfer, it takes five minutes to input the information for the 4473 and maybe two minutes to write the info in the books. They just made $10 in fifteen minutes from one employee.

One employee brings in $40 in an hour to do a transfer.

Most places charge more than $10 for a transfer, and I've heard the margins on guns are sometimes only $20.
Unless I am mistaken, they are not making anything in this situation because the $10 goes to pay the staties for the background check. Yes, you have to pass a BGC to take your own firearm home once it has been in possession of the FFL.

Unless I am mistaken, they are not making anything in this situation because the $10 goes to pay the staties for the background check. Yes, you have to pass a BGC to take your own firearm home once it has been in possession of the FFL.
$10 for the transfer, which is in addition to the BGC. I don't think anybody does free transfers.

$10 is on the low side, I pay $25+BGC. $100/hr.
Yes, $10 is very low in this area. So low as not to be found. My preferred dealer up to the end of last year was charging $15 for a long gun, and $25 for a handgun. It must've been about the lowest around, because they had people come from farther than I would consider "local" towns to do business. I did one private transfer from an member here down in Renton, I think it was $40 plus state sales tax. A tax which my dealer around here doesn't charge, small enough consideration as it is. Here, it seems to be customary to include the BGC in the transfer fee. I've heard of FFL dealers in this area who charge $50 and $75. I think I bought a rifle at an auction where I didn't have a choice of transferring dealer and I had to pay $50. Which at the time, I considered thinly veiled robbery. I'm sure the new laws here in Wash. will cause these numbers to increase.

I also think 15 minutes is a lot longer than they spend on a single transfer.
I can't say with complete accuracy. I only have my experience as a customer; I haven't worked behind the counter. But the last few years, using my preferred FFL who is, in my opinion, fast, it's taken 15 or more minutes from start to finish. Lately, mostly I've been receiving guns from out of state through his license rather than private transfers. I've been told that since the latter part of last year, they have to re-enter all the 4474 information on Wash. state BGC screens. Handguns and semi-auto rifles take longer, there is more paperwork.

Cabela's is another story. If we are to apply the 15 minute time allowance rule to them, they are deeply in the hole! Last gun I bought from them took one hour and forty five minutes and two trips. Of course, a lot of that was waiting time, not actually processing time by employee(s) but I'll bet they spent way more than 15 collective minutes of actual labor from the time I started pressing buttons on a tablet until they actually released the arm to me. Most small businesses don't have that kind of time to waste.

Sporting Systems in Wash. (he's here on NWFA) has his policies all listed here:

Including various irregularities with storage, failure to pass BGC, etc. His fee for transfer of one firearm is $50.

Westcoast Armory, a multi-store dealer around here charges a transfer fee of $100.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top