JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cabela's is another story.
Indeed it is. The ONLY time in the past five years that I didn't get an instant approval was at Cabela's. The approval only took a couple of hours, but then the fun began. They have some sort of triple-verification process that is solely a store policy or procedure. It probably didn't take as long as it felt like it was taking, but watching how nonsensical the machinations were made it feel like forever.

1705118656758.png

1705118553118.png

Aloha, Mark

I think you guys over in the "valley" don't know how good you've got it. There are only two places in Bend that do private party transfers, one is $100 and the other is $75 per serial number!

Things can always be worse, I think we all know that deep down!
Now I don't know anyone who does this and I don't recommend it, but I have heard that generally speaking, in the Bend area things generally operate under the pre-2016 method of firearm transfers. Knowing there's only a couple FFLs over there doing transfers, I see why.

Have you checked pawn shops? I can't imagine that there's only two in the greater Bend area.

A quick Google search does indeed show only two pawn shops in Bend.
But wouldn't you think there's at least one "private" FFLs to take up the slack?
None of the FFLs here want to deal with it at all, the pawn shops will not facilitate private party transfers here.

The result is you sell your unwanted firearms to the dealers, which is generally less hassle, but also, less money than selling private party.

I guess it really doesn't bother me much as dealing with flaky sellers/buyers is way more hassle than the few extra bucks I might get selling something or the lower price I might get buying something.

Most private sellers have an over inflated idea as to the value of their wares as opposed to the same thing new without the hassle of negotiating a deal, transfer place, etc... Add $100 transfer fee on top of all that and it looses all it's allure.

A quick Google search does indeed show only two pawn shops in Bend.
But wouldn't you think there's at least one "private" FFLs to take up the slack?
@Greenbug --
There are at least 25 FFLs within 25 miles of Bend who are registered to operate on gunbroker.com. (I only checked out one of the three zip codes.) Three charge $20/gun. Three charge 25/gun. And several others are $50 or under. Most of these are private people with ffls willing to do transfers. No need for you Bend guys and gals to pay $75 or $100 for your transfers.

To find the page that lets you search for the ffl within a specified distance of your zip code follow this sequence: gunbroker.com, buy, Do I need an ffl, find an ffl.

You will then be on the page that lets you search for all FFLs within the specified distance of your zip code. It gives name, address, phone number, and what they charge for transfers of handguns and long guns. This same page also lets you specify a particular dealer as your default.

Here's how it works in an actual gunbroker auction, my first, a couple months ago. I was buying a prelock SW 629-3 6.5" 44 mag revolver with a Leupold variable power scope attached by quick-release rings to a plate on the frame replacing the rear sight. The Buy It Now price, $1400, was not much more than the current bid. So I hit Buy It Now. I paid for gun using a credit card. Then I walked over to my phone and Called Tick-Licker Firearms--Corvallis, my default ffl. I gave my name and told them I had just bought a gun on gunbroker, and... "Yes. We just got the notification. I was just getting ready to email the seller that our FFL info is on file, and we're ready to receive the gun." A few days later I got an email from gunbroker saying my gun had shipped, then about three more days another email from gunbroker said my gun had been delivered to my FFL. And about 10 minutes later Tick Licker called to tell me my gun had arrived. I told them I would pick it up the following morning. The next morning I went in and inspected the gun. (Wow!!!) Then filled in the paperwork and they called it in. The background check went through very fast, maybe two or three minutes. Tick Lickers charges $45 for the transfer. I don't mind paying it.

Last Edited:
They have some sort of triple-verification process that is solely a store policy or procedure
Yes, and even with that, they got the store stock number confused with the firearm serial number on a rifle that I bought. So THREE different people got it wrong. I have to admit, I didn't notice it for a couple of years myself. So I have a receipt that doesn't match the serial number of the rifle, if it matters. I kept the hang tag from it, which reflects both numbers so at least I have something.

This is a good shop they have great customer service. They helped there local community even being in a bubblegumty area, look at from a bussiness stand point, there's people like gators gun shop in Washington where he continued bussiness as usual and now he's In jail. They are trying to make a living and contuine there business I stand behind them 100%

So under the waiting period requirement, is the firearm actually placed on the books of the FFL dealer who is facilitating the private transfer? If so, to me it doesn't make any sense to let it go home again with the seller pending approval for the buyer. The dealer loses control over a gun that is in his care on paper,
When doing the transfer at Fisherman's, they straight up told me that I had to wait because they didn't want it "on their books", which I thought was shady because they had taken physical possession of the rifle.
Unless I am mistaken, they are not making anything in this situation because the $10 goes to pay the staties for the background check. Yes, you have to pass a BGC to take your own firearm home once it has been in possession of the FFL.
I did not know this. But when I had a handgun on consignment at H&K and went to pick it up I had to go thru the background check. I thought it was absurd because it was my gun, but I didn't mind too much because otherwise they made nothing from me and I had been using their service.

Last Edited:
$35 is correct for person to person transfers, plus $3 for ID copy unless seller brings that in. :(

The transfer price is $30 for orders shipped into them.

On the bright side the prices are the same for transfers they do for WA residents.
This is real good to hear. In the event I do actually buy another firearm, I would be happy to have my had held, if she feels she needs to, just for them not jumping on the "Shaft The Gun Owner" band wagon.

When doing the transfer at Fisherman's, they straight up told me that I had to wait because they didn't want it "on their books", which I thought was shady because they had taken physical possession of the rifle.
This does indeed sound shady. Because whoever is the last guy "on paper" should have possession of the gun until such time as the transfer to the next guy actually takes place. Isn't this spelled out in administrative instructions to dealers some place? .

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews