JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With this trend it won't be long before the majority say, "F this" and go about doing their buying, selling and trading just like we used to.

A cut above did this to me a couple years ago. They are out of the way for me in general, so ended up hanging out in the area for 2 hours until the bgc was cleared theough the que. Then waited almost another hoir for the seller to show back up. Love the shop, but won't take the chance of a firearm that has been cleared to me, going home with the seller until the bgc is finalized.

Having to pay to exercise a Constitutional Right is in no way legal. How this has been allowed to continue is beyond my understanding. They can't even pretend that it is a fee charged by the FFL, when the Government (Federal and State) are requiring it.

Paying a fee to vote was outlawed long ago, and the 2nd Amendment is much more specific about the right to "keep and bear arms."

With this trend it won't be long before the majority say, "F this" and go about doing their buying, selling and trading just like we used to.
It sounds reasonable to a reasonable person.
But we don't live in reasonable times.
The people of Illinois who have not registered their weapons, and the number is huge, are now being threatened with having their drivers' licenses revoked and also being branded under red flag laws. At least that is what I read on the internet.

From what I've been seeing, some gun owners seem to be thinking that it's cheaper in the long run to just pay the fees than it is to donate to gun rights organizations doing the heavy lifting. Think about it. It's much easier to ignore politics and the time and effort it takes to participate. That way, you avoid the stress of problem solving, working on campaigns, and donating to people standing up for your rights. Just paying the fees and being a keyboard commando is by far the easiest route!

<sarcasm filter off - sort of>

It sounds reasonable to a reasonable person.
But we don't live in reasonable times.
The people of Illinois who have not registered their weapons, and the number is huge, are now being threatened with having their drivers' licenses revoked and also being branded under red flag laws. At least that is what I read on the internet.
Living in the Portland area, I'd have to say most people aren't "reasonable". Part of the reason 114 passed the voters.

I think these FFLs are missing a business opportunity. Could even have transfer fee levels: $25-35 no holds, $45-55 week hold, $65-75 month hold.. etc.
Again, low profit margin but still something to show for the hold in addition to the BGC service and still affordable enough for those that perhaps work/travel and cannot link up right away.
(I'm one of those people sometimes)

However I do understand their limited space issue facing the minimal profit margins when it comes to transfers. And some people take a little too long to come and pick up their stuff. Most of us here In sure want that new purchase right away.. but then there are some that drag it out.

They've been fair to me when I've transferred and purchased there.

FYI, I'm not advocating breaking any laws, but it is getting pretty frustrating and expensive to exercise a "right".

So hypothetically if the shop does bgc and sends seller home with the gun to "hold til background clears" couldn't seller just give the gun to buyer in the parking lot? I mean if the buyer has a valid concealed carry license that is.

Now I'm not suggesting anyone do that but hypothetically whose the wiser?

A Cut Above is not close to me. If they wouldn't have held the last gun for the buyer, I'd have been pissed. Something to consider before buying or selling another gun.

I think you guys over in the "valley" don't know how good you've got it. There are only two places in Bend that do private party transfers, one is $100 and the other is $75 per serial number!

Things can always be worse, I think we all know that deep down!

I think you guys over in the "valley" don't know how good you've got it. There are only two places in Bend that do private party transfers, one is $100 and the other is $75 per serial number!

Things can always be worse, I think we all know that deep down!
Have you checked pawn shops? I can't imagine that there's only two in the greater Bend area.

Businesses can run their business as they wish. I can vote with my check book if I their new policy is acceptable to me or not. Lots of FFL's around.
I am in no anyway arguing that. I have plenty of FFLs just a bit more out of the way. I just wonder if there is a large amount of oregon FFLs are implementing it? I have had to meet someone twice due to that same policy at a different FFl. It was a pain in the A 2 hours of extra driving. It also takes actually counting on the seller to follow through with giving you the gun.

Have you checked pawn shops? I can't imagine that there's only two in the greater Bend area.
A quick Google search does indeed show only two pawn shops in Bend.
But wouldn't you think there's at least one "private" FFL to take up the slack?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top