JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
there are getting to be quite a few hogs over around the ashwood/shaniko/antelope/madras area. a buddy of mine lives over there and spends a lot of time driving around with a rifle in his rig.

The wife's family owns a large ranch in that area and they keep them shot out as they put livestocks health at risk. The old game ranch had also lost some goats which were taken care of post haste. It's been raining real hard over there the last couple of days, enough to fill all the holding ponds and even washed out some of the access roads up in the county line areas. This is the time they start looking for them real hard as they are easier to track on horseback or all terrain vehical. I grew up on a ranch also and for years my family let people hunt until people started cutting fences instead of using the roads, cattle shot, dump garbage/trash and it just got out of hand. It was a hard thing for my family to do because a lot of good people came up year after year and they just had to close it down. A very small percentage ruined it for the rest. Also as a landowner you face the liability of being responsible for letting someone on the property to hunt.

Please do not trespass, some familys over there have lived on their ground for a 100yrs. or better and have went through thick and thin to hold on to it.

Hint: When it's hot and dry look down low where there is water and feed.

My uncle is part owner in that Ranch up in Cheney. I asked him about going on a hunt up there, but with his two partners in the deal he couldn't really cut me much of a deal. He had about a 900 pound pig he wanted me to come shoot, but it was like $1500. Too much money for me, I'm not a pork fan anyway.

my father in law used to raise hogs his biggest boar ever was a big old landrace. used to break the hips of the sows, he let that som***** out of the pen one time. shot it in the neck from 5 feet with a french labelle,the pig hauled butt. only had one green bullet, i hauled a** to the house and got some more green bullets, a couple of more shots and that pig went down, father in law had an international tractor with a three point bullprick on it pulled the front wheels off the ground, had to stack hay on the front axle to get that sucker skinned. some of the worst pork ever, and lots of it

as far as central oregon goes the damned things seem to be rooted on private ground and the ranchers are finding an oppertunity to make a buck on them. did hear of a sighting in the grizzly unit last deer season on public land. the guy that said he saw them said he didnt shoot because he was deer hunting. pigs are on the list whether deer/elk or whatever hunting.

I dont know how the ranchers can make any money off of pigs on their land. It is illegal since last year, i believe, for any landowner to charge any person to hunt feral pigs on their property. ODFW did not want ranchers encouraging pig populations on their property for profit so they made profiting from it illegal. I'm actually hoping their populations explode!!! it would be nice to have at least one type of game to hunt that ODFW isnt trying to wring the last dollar out of you for.

I dont know how the ranchers can make any money off of pigs on their land. It is illegal since last year, i believe, for any landowner to charge any person to hunt feral pigs on their property. ODFW did not want ranchers encouraging pig populations on their property for profit so they made profiting from it illegal. I'm actually hoping their populations explode!!! it would be nice to have at least one type of game to hunt that ODFW isnt trying to wring the last dollar out of you for.
Amen to that.

I'm actually hoping their populations explode!!!

Think twice before you wish for that. There's some folks in TX that have been dealing with these things for years. Even with heavy hunting for them they can't reduce the population increase, they just slow it down. The things breed like rabbits and do an incredible amount of damage to the land, fences, etc....

It was too cold for good hunting all the animals were denned-up to stay warm and only a sliver of a moon to see the piggys by.
I did get rushed by a 100 pounder while scouting at 9pm. Black pig, black night and ice on scope! The pig was running as fast as any deer, maybe 35mph I had less than 2 seconds for the shot and missed, of course, but I'm going back in the early spring.:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top