JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those of you itching to boar hunt I'd suggest taking a few days in Texas or Arizona(i think AZ, not certain). In TX they're considered a pest species, are all over the bloody place, and are on BLM land as well as private. The time and expense may be better served where they're really out of control.

A brother in law to me hunts hogs in Texas every year. He flies down and goes hunting with a nephew who lives there. They don't have any problem getting them.

I've had feral pig, down in So Calif on Catalina Island they are all over the place, and hated. Trouble is, most of the island is still private, so you have to know someone to get permission to hunt. Nervous Californians, you know.. they are afraid you'll shoot someone's dog, cat, wife.... BUT, a brother in law managed to get in on a hunt a few years back, bagged a young boar. We slow-roasted him in a box barbecue, he was tender and outrageously tasty. He only brought over the ribe, but there was plenty of meat on them. Oh my.....

anyone know if they are anywhere in Washington State, or what the deal is for a WA resident to get a hunting license in Oregon? This thread has got me salivatin fer some good pig.... mmm, puerco adobado, o pues barbacoa...... bién sabroso.

I too have been wanting to go pig hunting, been searching the web, seems that everybody says (ODFW) that we have a problem with them, but I can't seem to find any forums where folks are talking about them in any great numbers.

Most say eastern Oregon has lots of them but most of the land is private, so no good there...I'll keep an eye on this topic, would love to take the SKS out or even the 30-30.

there are getting to be quite a few pigs around the madras area. northeast of town mostly. out around ashwood, willowdale area, down towards clarno, and back towards mitchell. mostly all private ground but if a bunch of hogs move in lots of times the ranchers are happy to to let people hunt them. got two myself last year, 338wm no problem

I go to a private ranch in Cheeny Wa. My boar was 525 pounds and dressed out with 300 pounds of meat. I shot it right behind the ear witha 300 and it woke up and chased me. it took 3 to kill it. Made me think twice about hunting dangerous game like grizzley or mt,lion. I have to get my pics off my other hard drive, but here is a pic of my buddies it was the smallest of all of them. He had only been back from the war for a couple of weeks and sniped it through the ear with his 22/250.

HITMAN - is there contact info for the place in Cheeny? Sounds very promising!

Two years ago, I went down to Houston TX and got a 345lb boar during a "night stalk" ... it was absolutely incredible, making deer hunting boring by comparison. I got it with a Ruger 270WIN just behind the shoulder, it ran 30 yards, snapped two strands of barbed wire, and then finally fell. Not a mark on it's skin from the barbed wire! I had it stuffed, and it's awesome! BUT - was told to get a sow to eat, since the boar has that awful "mussbag" of stinky glands in it. The sow was such good eating that it disappeared from my freezer much sooner than the venison... I gotta go back, or at least get to a private ranch nearby. I think private is the most assured way to go if you really want to get one,

Pure Elation ...

2008 - Hog_Hunt_ 148.jpg

When I was in Northern Queensland there were hoards of feral pigs that did terrible damage to crops and habitat but they were very hard to hunt due to the dense cover. Dogs were used but were routinely killed by the pigs. A mob of pigs would do 10's of thousands in damage in a single night.
Texas has a population of about .7 million or more pigs they are now attacking people at thier homes, again they are hard to hunt during the day and hide in thickets, at night it's a different story. Many of the pigs are small and a light rifle does the job. It has been confirmed that a private hunting ranch released some european boars in N. Texas and now this strain has created a new hybred that has increased mass, larger tusks, thicker hide, and agressive tendencies. They should have released them on the Tx /Mx border!

I'll have to check the Cheeny WA place and see if it's for real. It's been a couple years since I went hog hunting, and it was way better than hunting deer!

As for good eatin' ... I got my 340lb razorback near Houston, TX ... the meat disappeared from my freezer about 3x as fast as the venison. It's tremendous, but I'm speaking of sows, not boars. I understand the muss bag in a boar permeates a lot of the meat with a very strong musky scent.

Apparently in Europe it's highly prized as a dish, but I prefer just the meat/bacon please!

I got a sow for eating, and a boar for mounting. Here's my trophy boar, plus one of my guide who dressed that bugger in about 5 minutes flat.

2008 - Hog_Hunt_ 148.jpg

2008 - Hog_Hunt_2_ 020.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews