JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Spent the last week exploring Yellowstone Park. It seemed like I was back in the early days of the old west. Buffalo EVERYWHERE and elk, Wolves, Bears with their cubs. So much cool stuff.
I wanted to be there for opening day of fishing on the Yellowstone as that was on my bucket list. It was great but I have to say I am still a fan of Salmon and Steelhead over having only Trout. If you love seeing wild animals and fishing, camping, or pretty much anything outdoors you have to do it once in your life.

Driving through it feels like you are back in the days of Lewis and Clark with herds of Buffalo everywhere. Beautiful hot springs and pretty much fun all around for every family member. It was amazing to say the least.

It's been 9 or 10 years since we've been there, but it is remarkable. We were there for a day 2 years before and decided to make more time to relax on the next trip.
Wonderful place.

Ah nature.

67938-Bison-Wolfpack-gif-Buffalo-Now-Is1J.gif

Wow, I have watched a bunch of these since I saw idiots walking up on buffalo and one guy try to get next to a bull Elk for a "selfie". Thing chased him a ways but unfortunately let him go. I was recording and hoping for a viral video when I saw him walking up to it.
The last time I was there I saw a buncha stupidity.. mainly from like Asian tourists.
I rolled through on a motorbike and you know the traffic.. you feel kinda funny putting along at a half mile an hour with bison four feet away and not too many places to go.
Fantastic place though!

The last time I was there I saw a buncha stupidity.. mainly from like Asian tourists.
I rolled through on a motorbike and you know the traffic.. you feel kinda funny putting along at a half mile an hour with bison four feet away and not too many places to go.
Fantastic place though!

You are nuts. I saw a bison slam its head into a car just cause it tried to pass it when it wanted to cross the road....those things get pissed out of nowhere.
I would be shaking on a bike. I have never even imagined bison walking all through the road like it is there. Herds and herds of them and they are awesome!

You can kinda see the bull elk that almost killed the tourist. I need to transfer the better pics. Then I walked up from fishing and saw these two on a rock. Black bear with brown cub. I went about a mile around as I have a pretty good idea of a momma bears dislike for intruders.

bull elk.jpg

bear.jpg

Went there several times, in the late '60s with my dad and again in the mid '70 with a couple of buddies. Drinkin' age was 18 in Montana at that time! The Yellowstone River was loaded with large cutthroat. I can't think of anywhere as magical as Yellowstone Park, amazing area of the country. We had our camp ransacked by a bear one night while dad and I were sleeping in the van.

I don't think I'll ever go back, too many people(idiots), traffic, regulations, etc. I was lucky to go there when you'd just pay and drive in and camp at whichever campground you were closest to when you were done for the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

Not too many miles out of the park is where this earthquake was centered in August 1959. There were a bunch of changes to the features in the park after the quake. It's been a lot of years but in the late '60s the was a whole hill side that had stopped steaming/hissing [roaring mountain]. Hot pools quit being hot and new ones formed. Some geysers changed or quit all together. We think it's weird living with the Cascades, Yellowstone Park is one HUGE "Zit" of volcanics! Check it out on google earth sometime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_Hebgen_Lake_earthquake

Next time you head over there check out the fly fishing at the Madison river and Quake lake. They are both ~30min north of West Yellowstone. We have a home over there and have the luxury of spending lots of the time exploring.

Went there several times, in the late '60s with my dad and again in the mid '70 with a couple of buddies. Drinkin' age was 18 in Montana at that time! The Yellowstone River was loaded with large cutthroat. I can't think of anywhere as magical as Yellowstone Park, amazing area of the country. We had our camp ransacked by a bear one night while dad and I were sleeping in the van.

I don't think I'll ever go back, too many people(idiots), traffic, regulations, etc. I was lucky to go there when you'd just pay and drive in and camp at whichever campground you were closest to when you were done for the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

Not too many miles out of the park is where this earthquake was centered in August 1959. There were a bunch of changes to the features in the park after the quake. It's been a lot of years but in the late '60s the was a whole hill side that had stopped steaming/hissing [roaring mountain]. Hot pools quit being hot and new ones formed. Some geysers changed or quit all together. We think it's weird living with the Cascades, Yellowstone Park is one HUGE "Zit" of volcanics! Check it out on google earth sometime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_Hebgen_Lake_earthquake

I stood up on a high cliff up in the NE area and it was shocking to see just how many steam vents there are there. Every which way you look is another large cloud rising from them. I read a bit about tourists thinking they should "test the waters" and being burned to death instantly.
I have to say I saw some of the most beautiful things in my life and some of the most ignorant/entitled people I have ever seen.

Seriously who looks at a bison and thinks "I want a selfie right next to that beast". I looked at them and thought "holy SH&% that looks like a mean bastard".

Next time you head over there check out the fly fishing at the Madison river and Quake lake. They are both ~30min north of West Yellowstone. We have a home over there and have the luxury of spending lots of the time exploring.

You are very lucky to have a place there. I always wanted to see it but now I plan on going back often. Nowhere else around can you be out on a set of waders and have so many animals walk right by ya. I have to say I kinda wished my waders where brown when i came across the mama bear and cub. That was a little tense when she looked up and I had to walk way out of my way to avoid them and hope they did not have friends near by.

Even them dang billy goats'll rip ya a new one. Ornery little basterds think they own the joint or something.
The dumb people watching is half the fun to me.. it makes keeping your own self safe a little more trying at times though.
You catch any good stuff?

I caught a quite a few good Cutthroat trout but they averaged around 12-14". Lots of fun on an ultralight but for an Oregonian they are not all that impressive. I know there are bigger ones in there but since I flew my tackle was limited. Most of the enjoyment was just standing in a river and watching herds of buffalo and every other type of animal walking along the bank.
I think I am spoiled with mostly fishing Steelhead and Salmon. A 14" fish just does not impress me like it should anymore.....On the other hand a Eagle grabbing one from the water was damn impressive.

I remember a few years back, some idiot got to close to a buffalo and he got gored. HE was then fined by the Forest Service for getting to close to the buffalo.

Happened this year as well. Within the last few months someone was gored for getting too close. One would think that would be a lesson to people. I can tell you without a doubt the people there do not learn these lessons. They are "different" and the animals will be ok with them....Until they get gored.

I saw idiots walking up on buffalo and one guy try to get next to a bull Elk for a "selfie"
I wonder if the same people would say, handle rattlesnakes, or cuddle a racoon like a baby for a photo op? I mean what makes them think a buffalo is any safer? Seems I recall someone trying this about 20 years ago with a Mulie outside of Redmond that somehow lost it's fear of people. If I remember correctly he got pretty well banged up by it before it was run off.

Don't know why but I just don't like tourist places and it's kept me from going to Yellowstone. Much rather go where there are few people.

Don't know why but I just don't like tourist places and it's kept me from going to Yellowstone. Much rather go where there are few people.

Yeah the first week there it was slow. That was the best part of the trip. Then when this long weekend hit it was like they just bused in a bunch of idiots and told them it was a petting zoo. Fun to watch when you know better but you have to wonder who in their right mind thinks a wild animal is anything less than a wild animal.
I cannot even recall how many times I thought "well I hope he kissed his wife and kids goodbye".
I guess I take for granted growing up in the boonies. I just assume all people should know to respect nature. Sometimes I give people wayyyyy too much credit.
Not long ago someone got off the boardwalk at the site of a bunch of boiling pools and stood over one. Steam boiled their skin when it released pressure. I would have thought before hearing that someone did this that common sense would say the boardwalk and danger signs there are not up for fun.
I would go again but I would make sure it was during a time like the first week when there was not many folks around.
If you just type in "Yellowstone animal attacks" it is a good week worth of video pleasure. Goes to show how lacking in common sense so many folks are.

I wonder if the same people would say, handle rattlesnakes, or cuddle a racoon like a baby for a photo op? I mean what makes them think a buffalo is any safer? Seems I recall someone trying this about 20 years ago with a Mulie outside of Redmond that somehow lost it's fear of people. If I remember correctly he got pretty well banged up by it before it was run off.

I honestly think some of them would try to cuddle a Racoon. Watching people around those animals really made me lose a lot of respect for people in general. One guy was trying to nudge a Bison with his truck since it was standing in the road. The truck ended up without a part of its front side panel....front bumper was bent out the front. Was awesome to see but shows how people do not think before they try to do something idiotic with a massive beast.
I would not try to "prod" along a Buffalo but more power to the idiots for giving us entertainment!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top