Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Feed back on knives. Trying to decide which one to get.

Discussion in 'Knives & Other Discussion' started by kickstart my heart, Feb 24, 2011.

1. kickstart my heart

kickstart my heart South King County, WA Active Member

I'm thinking of purchasing a nice Knife for survival, camping, hunting, to go in bug out bag, etc. Sorta narrowed down my choices on the following. I'd like to hear back from some of ya'll as to which I should go with, or maybe some other suggestions.

-Bark River Knife & Tool 1855 Hunting Bowie
    -Bark River Knife & Tool Bravo 2
    -Falkniven A1
    -Falkniven A2
    -Becker River BK7 (had one but thought the sheath was cheesy)
    -Gerber LMFII (had one and liked the sheath, but hated the serration)
    -Standard Ka-bar
    -RAT 7
    -Knives Of Alaska Bush Camp Knife

2. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

3. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

get them all, cant have too many knives

4. cubeddrummer

cubeddrummer Hillsboro, Oregon, United States New Member

CRKT makes some good knives own one myself m16-14z still use it almost daily

5. kickstart my heart

Ordered a Bark River Bravo 2 last night. Now thinking of something with a 4" blade.

6. WhyteCheddar

Nice.
    Which scales did you order?

7. Ought Six

Ought Six Snoqualmie Valley area Active Member

Take a look at what Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works in Arizona has to offer. They have excellent quality at a very reasonable price. They know how to properly shape and temper a piece of steel. I am very, very pleased with my White River Bowie from them.

Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works Custom Knives

8. kickstart my heart

Green Canvas Mircarta. I was originally going to go fancy with it, but then started weight extra price vs. function. I want a knife that can do stuff, not just make my buddies envious. I'm pretty stoked to get it. I want to get a smaller knife like a caper or necker size. I'm also starting to think light weight hatchet that's indestructible. Anyone got a suggestion?

9. WhyteCheddar

Very cool. Would love to hear your opinion of the Canvas Micarta once you get it. I just bought a sheet of Black Canvas Micarta to make scales for a hunting knife I have planned. Have only used G10 so far so am interested to see how it turns out.

Go to this site BladeForums.com - Powered by vBulletin
    Everything you ever wanted to know about knives. Many makers post there regularly and there are an unbelievable number of pics of anything you could ever want.

10. kickstart my heart

Got it today and she's gorgeous! I like the look of the green canvas micarta. I'm thinking of getting one of the Bark River Neckers and a fire steel with the green micarta handle to accompany it. Either that, or maybe a Micro Canadian II. A small knife to go along with it. I also have been thinking of a light weight camping hatchet.

11. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

After watching some very expensive knives fail and some very inexpensive ones do quite well in these torture tests I will be very leery of spending big bucks on any untested knife in the future. Note the Reeves knife which failed immediately ($300 +) and the Cold Steel cheapie machete that survived he!! right until the end

www.knifetests.com Home

I have large, cheap Pakistan bowies with full tangs that were $8 retail and they are great for rough camp chores like splitting kindling and will never break.. they are made by hand from old truck springs

As far as a firestarter nothing I have used beats the Blastmatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYRKzdSXH34

12. WhyteCheddar

Very cool.
    Where do you get it?

13. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

In my survival bag I opted for the standard KaBar (as you can see in the first pic below). For camping I usually carry the SOG Daggert or Pentagon (also pictured below).

Sbag.jpg

GP100Daggert.jpg

AlaskanPentagon.jpg

14. Barefoot343

Barefoot343 liberalville Active Member

I looked at that one today and almost bought it. You seem happy with it, anything you don't like?

As to the original post, I would look at CRKT as well, they have a nice selection.

15. SnapShot

SnapShot walla walla Member

If i could only carry one knife for an all purpose tool... it would be a

Randall #1

16. Bunny

Bunny Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Nice knives. I was just looking at the SOG Pentagon Elite yesterday. May pick one up myself. Btw, I have that crank flashlight. Had it for years and it's not a bad little light for the money.

17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

OK a knife is a tool just like any other tool.You get what fits YOU best.
    All knives cut.All knives will slice (if you keep them sharp) All knives will go through flesh and do what you want.

Get the knife that you like first. I can cut tomatoes with my folder. I can skin a deer with it. I can penetrate a bullet proof vest with it.

But I would get a K-Bar to carry in the woods.

Get what you like,it will do the job

18. WhyteCheddar

True Dat!

There are getting to be so many choices out there. These kinds of decisions are getting tough.

19. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I used to sell them online.. just do a web search, they are quite inexpensive

BTW I have a large knife/dagger/sword collection and have handled virtually all brands and many models since I used to sell them. Most manufacturers make some good models as well as some silly, unergonomic, specialty blades that are not suited for general use. Consider your purpose before you spend your money. For me a good machete is essential kit. I even built a backup bugout machete package built around an Ontario machete and it's polymer military sheath. It goes with my regular bugout pack and the machete can be:

A very deadly weapon

Tree chopper. I have cut through a 10 inch Red Alder trunk in about 12 minutes with one

General tool and can even skin a buck in an emergency

Wood splitter

If I could have one blade on a desert island it would be that machete. Like this but not with the nylon sheath. I carry a flat chainsaw file to sharpen it:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5UVK3LdxlFT1MfD3gPsbVDMy_IcMViZImJiyI41hyM8aqjsKsmA&t=1.jpg

20. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

One of my favorites.Great tool I found at a pawn shop

3445765.jpg