JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking of purchasing a nice Knife for survival, camping, hunting, to go in bug out bag, etc. Sorta narrowed down my choices on the following. I'd like to hear back from some of ya'll as to which I should go with, or maybe some other suggestions.

-Bark River Knife & Tool 1855 Hunting Bowie
-Bark River Knife & Tool Bravo 2
-Falkniven A1
-Falkniven A2
-Becker River BK7 (had one but thought the sheath was cheesy)
-Gerber LMFII (had one and liked the sheath, but hated the serration)
-Standard Ka-bar
-RAT 7
-Knives Of Alaska Bush Camp Knife

Nice.
Which scales did you order?

Green Canvas Mircarta. I was originally going to go fancy with it, but then started weight extra price vs. function. I want a knife that can do stuff, not just make my buddies envious. I'm pretty stoked to get it. I want to get a smaller knife like a caper or necker size. I'm also starting to think light weight hatchet that's indestructible. Anyone got a suggestion?

Green Canvas Mircarta. I was originally going to go fancy with it, but then started weight extra price vs. function. I want a knife that can do stuff, not just make my buddies envious. I'm pretty stoked to get it. I want to get a smaller knife like a caper or necker size. I'm also starting to think light weight hatchet that's indestructible. Anyone got a suggestion?

Very cool. Would love to hear your opinion of the Canvas Micarta once you get it. I just bought a sheet of Black Canvas Micarta to make scales for a hunting knife I have planned. Have only used G10 so far so am interested to see how it turns out.

Go to this site <broken link removed>
Everything you ever wanted to know about knives. Many makers post there regularly and there are an unbelievable number of pics of anything you could ever want.

Got it today and she's gorgeous! I like the look of the green canvas micarta. I'm thinking of getting one of the Bark River Neckers and a fire steel with the green micarta handle to accompany it. Either that, or maybe a Micro Canadian II. A small knife to go along with it. I also have been thinking of a light weight camping hatchet.

After watching some very expensive knives fail and some very inexpensive ones do quite well in these torture tests I will be very leery of spending big bucks on any untested knife in the future. Note the Reeves knife which failed immediately ($300 +) and the Cold Steel cheapie machete that survived he!! right until the end

<broken link removed>

I have large, cheap Pakistan bowies with full tangs that were $8 retail and they are great for rough camp chores like splitting kindling and will never break.. they are made by hand from old truck springs

As far as a firestarter nothing I have used beats the Blastmatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYRKzdSXH34

After watching some very expensive knives fail and some very inexpensive ones do quite well in these torture tests I will be very leery of spending big bucks on any untested knife in the future. Note the Reeves knife which failed immediately ($300 +) and the Cold Steel cheapie machete that survived he!! right until the end

<broken link removed>

I have large, cheap Pakistan bowies with full tangs that were $8 retail and they are great for rough camp chores like splitting kindling and will never break.. they are made by hand from old truck springs

As far as a firestarter nothing I have used beats the Blastmatch

YouTube - Blast Match Fire Starter

Very cool.
Where do you get it?

In my survival bag I opted for the standard KaBar (as you can see in the first pic below). For camping I usually carry the SOG Daggert or Pentagon (also pictured below).

Sbag.jpg

GP100Daggert.jpg

AlaskanPentagon.jpg

In my survival bag I opted for the standard KaBar (as you can see in the first pic below). For camping I usually carry the SOG Daggert or Pentagon (also pictured below).

Nice knives. I was just looking at the SOG Pentagon Elite yesterday. May pick one up myself. Btw, I have that crank flashlight. Had it for years and it's not a bad little light for the money.

OK a knife is a tool just like any other tool.You get what fits YOU best.
All knives cut.All knives will slice (if you keep them sharp) All knives will go through flesh and do what you want.

Get the knife that you like first. I can cut tomatoes with my folder. I can skin a deer with it. I can penetrate a bullet proof vest with it.

But I would get a K-Bar to carry in the woods.

Get what you like,it will do the job

OK a knife is a tool just like any other tool.You get what fits YOU best.
All knives cut.All knives will slice (if you keep them sharp) All knives will go through flesh and do what you want.

Get the knife that you like first. I can cut tomatoes with my folder. I can skin a deer with it. I can penetrate a bullet proof vest with it.

But I would get a K-Bar to carry in the woods.

Get what you like,it will do the job

True Dat!

There are getting to be so many choices out there. These kinds of decisions are getting tough.

Very cool.
Where do you get it?

I used to sell them online.. just do a web search, they are quite inexpensive

BTW I have a large knife/dagger/sword collection and have handled virtually all brands and many models since I used to sell them. Most manufacturers make some good models as well as some silly, unergonomic, specialty blades that are not suited for general use. Consider your purpose before you spend your money. For me a good machete is essential kit. I even built a backup bugout machete package built around an Ontario machete and it's polymer military sheath. It goes with my regular bugout pack and the machete can be:

A very deadly weapon

Tree chopper. I have cut through a 10 inch Red Alder trunk in about 12 minutes with one

General tool and can even skin a buck in an emergency

Wood splitter

If I could have one blade on a desert island it would be that machete. Like this but not with the nylon sheath. I carry a flat chainsaw file to sharpen it:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5UVK3LdxlFT1MfD3gPsbVDMy_IcMViZImJiyI41hyM8aqjsKsmA&t=1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads