JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yeah, at first look I was like, one born every minute, but after watching .22 Plinkster's review, I think this might have some merit.
Probably pretty devastating on big Gray Squirrels, Grouse and maybe even Coyote's, too.

The biggest issue I have with using a .22LR firearm for self defense is ammo reliability.

Have a failure to load , fire or extract / eject , is a bummer when shooting for fun...
In the hunting field , it might cost you a good shot at a animal....if in self defense it could cost you your life.

With all that said...as general rule Federal .22LR ammo has been excellent for reliability , in my .22 firearms.
Neat to see this video...now if only we can see the ammo on the shelves for sale..... :D
Andy

A rimfire firearm would be my last ditch gun.

I.E., long gun first, then sidearm, then backup handgun, then rimfire. If SHTF, I would always have a sidearm on me (or within reach), a long gun close by, a backup handgun (e.g., a sub-compact 9mm) and rimfire micro (e.g., Beretta 21A). Then come bladed weapons.

The rimfire would have SD ammo.

A rimfire firearm would be my last ditch gun.

I.E., long gun first, then sidearm, then backup handgun, then rimfire. If SHTF, I would always have a sidearm on me (or within reach), a long gun close by, a backup handgun (e.g., a sub-compact 9mm) and rimfire micro (e.g., Beretta 21A). Then come bladed weapons.

The rimfire would have SD ammo.
Do you have a utility belt like Batman? That a ton of equipment

A long time back someone was making a die to make flat nose .22LR. You put the round in, use a file few strokes and you had a flat nose. I liked the idea enough to just make one for myself at work rather than buy one. Watching this looks like I would get the same thing by turning any of the higher speed .22 ammo I use now into a flat point. Sure that die I made is still floating around here.

CCI makes or did make at one time a .22LR cartridge called the Small Game Bullet...it had a solid bullet with a flat nose...Bullet weight was around 40 grains.
This might make for a good self defense choice as well.
Andy

Do you have a utility belt like Batman? That a ton of equipment

As I said, the two backup handguns would be compacts - small and lightweight. A PS90 for a long gun and a Five Seven to go with it as a sidearm would be primary.

But yes, If SHTF, if it was of the type where I would go armed, I would be wearing a "battle belt" much of the time.

A long time back someone was making a die to make flat nose .22LR. You put the round in, use a file few strokes and you had a flat nose. I liked the idea enough to just make one for myself at work rather than buy one. Watching this looks like I would get the same thing by turning any of the higher speed .22 ammo I use now into a flat point. Sure that die I made is still floating around here.

There are different dies to reform the projectiles in rimfire ammo. Tests I have read have shown most of the results to have worse accuracy than the original ammo.

There are different dies to reform the projectiles in rimfire ammo. Tests I have read have shown most of the results to have worse accuracy than the original ammo.
Way back when I made the one I have I could see nada. If I think of it I will find it and and make up another dozen and take them to the next range trip. Sure the results will be the same, no difference. Of course I never tried the ones I was making at any real range since they were made for the Wife. She has LONG had a few EDC pistols in .22. I of course wish she would carry better but, if she will at least carry and shoot, I live with it.
Now if I tried these at 50yards there may be noticeable damage to the accuracy but she is not going to be trying to lob any rounds that far, I hope at least :D

CCI makes or did make at one time a .22LR cartridge called the Small Game Bullet...it had a solid bullet with a flat nose...Bullet weight was around 40 grains.
Andy
Yep as far as I know they still do. The original die made to make your own seemed to go away after they started making those. So have to guess people did not feel like buying the die any more after they could just buy commercial ammo already flat point.

Andy
It is still in production....same price as the Federal ammo, too...

CCI SGB - https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/small_game_bullet/6-58.html
Federal PD Punch - https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfire/personal-defense-punch-rimfire/11-PD22L1.html

FWIW, it seems the tip is larger on the Federal round. I think this is due to bullet shape.
The CCI uses a true round flat nose, where the tip is nicked off flat, but its otherwise the typical round nose solid bullet.
The Federal, on the other hand, seems to use the "truncated cone" design, except that this is a solid bullet instead of the hollow point TC's usually are.....and it must be shorter, since its also 11 grains less in weight.

Last Edited:
The biggest issue I have with using a .22LR firearm for self defense is ammo reliability.

Have a failure to load , fire or extract / eject , is a bummer when shooting for fun...
In the hunting field , it might cost you a good shot at a animal....if in self defense it could cost you your life.

With all that said...as general rule Federal .22LR ammo has been excellent for reliability , in my .22 firearms.
Neat to see this video...now if only we can see the ammo on the shelves for sale..... :D
Andy
Those critters can also be viscous.

Little Beretta 21A - not useful for hunting or target shooting, a last ditch lightweight pocket/ankle pistol. SD ammo for it? Double plus good.

Somewhere there is a line dividing whats appropriate for self defense yet nobody here will argue the business end of a 22lr.
That little gun is surprisingly effective it would be interesting to see what this federal round would do from it....

My husband carries a Glock 45acp pistol on a DAILY basis. He has 2 duplicate GLOCK pistols - same year in a specific model.

His 22lr pocket pistol that I wanted him to get a year or so ago is a Beretta 21A - Bobcat Inox. He carries that at his gym while walking and exercising on some machines for upper body strength.

That pistol LOVES Federal bulk box 22lr HP ammunition.

I will tell him about this new ammo and show him this thread.

THANK you for posting it again!

We used to buy and shoot MORE Federal round nose 22lr ammunition for years on end with HP coming in next. Some CCI too. Lately - if he can find what he wants in HP - a couple of other brands too.

Since I am not shooting much with my 2 rifles in 22wmr AND in 22lr - he is going back to HP in HIS stock of 22lr more. Switching around. But he still is okay with his stock of RF. So am I.

WE have always been pleased with FEDERAL RF ammunition.

Right now, we have more FEDERAL 22wmr on hand than other brands too.

He RELOADS (Early 70's and on.) but he still has some factory ammo in 45acp and 30-30 Win.

TWO main brands in 30-30 Win with a third one if he sees it now. (LOL) But for FACTORY ammunition it was and IS usually FEDERAL and REMINGTON CORE-LOKT in 30-30 Win.

I should do an ad for FEDERAL RF ammunition. Grin.

Take care.

Old Lady Cate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews