JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With a shortage of federal vital-shok ammo in my caliber of rifles, I am looking for a new brand of ammo. Vital shok is all I've ever used, and I know I know I need to reload lol. But just wondering what everyone's favorite store bought rifle hunting ammo is? With Barnes, winchester, nosler, Remington, Hornady, etc it's a bit overwhelming looking for new stuff.

I have used federal in the past and was not happy with the bullets terminal performance, basically disintegrated in the deer. It was their cheap line so that may have been the problem. I have since been able to find Nosler on sale in my caliber and shoot that instead.

I should note I use ammunition loaded with accubond bullets and have great success with them.

when i had a 338wm and loaded for it i used 225gr nosler partions. but my guess is no matter what bullet comes flying out of a 338wm is gonna drop a deer or an elk in its tracks.

I have Barnes .357 mags in my hunting pistol. They are a good round if not a bit spendy.

I looked at a lot of reviews on them and they seem to be well reviewed.

Those .357's look like miniature copper ashtrays lol, the HP on them are huge!

*i want to say that one of the videos I watched put them at 24" of penetration in gelatin with full expansion out of a pistol.

Barnes makes great bullets/ammo. I've had the pleasure of being right on the manufacturing line at Barnes, from beginning to end including the ballistics lab and shooting range.

I suggested Hornady for there cost to performance ratio which the other makers just don't justify the cost for a 338 Win mag.

FWIW, I figure I'm only going through a small, small amount of hunting ammo every year. It's worth it to pay for a premium quality bullet.

It's expensive, but I'd rather not get fortunate, take a shot, and then have the bullet fail me.

So, pricey Nosler Accubonds are it for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top