JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh, get off your high horse!
It's not like he did it on purpose or anything.
It happened and he had to do something.
Anyway, who says what happened was illegal.

Dean

My "high horse"? Are you serious? I got a chuckle out of the post hence my comment but I don't think you detect humor or sarcasm well. Stuff like this does happen, Like it or not you probably shouldn't go posting it on a internet forum.

Remember the (very basic) shooting rule of knowing your target and Beyond?

To answer your last question (I think it was a question but with a period), ODFW and law enforcement say filling another persons tag that is not visually impaired (with the proper paper work) is a "Prohibited method" AKA illegal.

Now that my "Debbie Downer" stuff is over.... Back to Favorite Hunting ammo thread.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I have to retract some of my earlier posts about favoring certain brands of ammo in entirety.

We just got back from deer camp where I had the chance to really-really (like I never have done before,All CSI like) read every bullets performance on eleven mule deer using many different calibers and bullet types.

At this point I am no longer using cup and core or "bonded" bullets for big game. As far as I'm concerned every one of them failed compared to monolithics.

My 6.5 Grendel with Hornady 123gr. SST's was used to take three deer last week, Two of the three shots were text book good and one not so much but all three bullets came apart and the jacket spit the core.

A few people has 270 or 300 WSM's with Winchester Silvertips and softpoint bullets were used, I was unimpressed with the performance of both.

Ballistic tips were also used but I already knew there absolute junk for hunting.

I guess in a nut shell.... I am focusing on the projectile more than the manufacturer, Most of the large ammo makers will produce 1 moa ammo on the accuracy side so I will look for Barnes or Nosler E-tip loaded commercial stuff or better yet I'll roll my own.

And again, if ones shooting factory ammo its really hard to beat Cor-lokt bullets for reliability, expansion and retention- aside from the fact that they are probably the best priced ammunition off the shelf.

This last weekend I was shooting off the bench in the side yard at a 12x12" steel that sits 320 yards across the draw and was able to keep 12 rounds (all that were fired) within a 6" group, not to shabby for factory stuff that some would turn their nose up at. It also helps that I have around 1000 of these in 165 and 180 grn. that will all eventually be reloaded with Nosler partitions,,, just cause thats my drug of choice.

True, but should the guy really be chastised for something that was beyond his control?
I think anyone caught in the same situation would've done the same thing.

Dean
I am not ignorant on the law, and am aware that it could have been an illegal harvested game animal. I always look beyond my target, it was brushy and there was only one bull visible. When I shot the front bull was on the ground but I saw another one run off. There was only two elk total (of which I looked around and only saw one), so it is not like I was shooting into a heard.
Very fortunate for me, it was an animal that my hunting buddy had a tag for, and I had a tag for the first. I am just glad it wasn't a cow or an illegal bull. I did consider tuning myself in, but what good would it have done?

It was a 100% honest accident. If it wasn't I would have tuned myself in. That is how I role.

And I know some of you guys are joking around with me. This happened many years ago, and I would have never mentioned it, but I thought the OP should know the quality in these barnes bullets. (Those ones were factory loaded by federal). I just wish I would have requested the bullet from my buddy, but we were tired from the two days it took to pack those bad boys outa that hole.

At this point I am no longer using cup and core or "bonded" bullets for big game. As far as I'm concerned every one of them failed compared to monolithics.

If you were looking at used bullets, I have to assume they were taken out of a dead animal. Was more than one shot required to put these animals down?
If not, what more do you want?

If you were looking at used bullets, I have to assume they were taken out of a dead animal. Was more than one shot required to put these animals down?
If not, what more do you want?

I want a bonded bullet designed for weight retention to stay together, not explode (especially on the surface). That's why I only used Bergers for one kill. I just don't care to have lead fragments in our food when there is better options. No need to assume the bullets came from dead animals, My post included that info.
I also don't want to track a animal after a proper placed shot due to bullet failure and yes, More than one bullet was needed on a three of the eleven. (3/11).

I want a bonded bullet designed for weight retention to stay together, not explode (especially on the surface). That's why I only used Bergers for one kill. I just don't care to have lead fragments in our food when there is better options. No need to assume the bullets came from dead animals, My post included that info.
I also don't want to track a animal after a proper placed shot due to bullet failure and yes, More than one bullet was needed on a three of the eleven. (3/11).
Fair enough. Just askin, so don't get uptight about it. To me if one bullet=dead animal, not to worried about "bullet performance". But your opinion is different and that's cool.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top