JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of my guilty pleasures is the horror genre, particularly the classics. Since we are now upon Halloween-y season, well, it is enjoyable to indulge in the spooky fun. While I enjoy various forms (e.g., literature, films, even some games), the subject of this thread is horror films.

Personally, I can't get enough of the classic horror monsters (e.g., vampires, mummies, Frankenstein's monster, werewolves, gill-man, zombies, et al.). The Universal and Hammer films are a lot of fun in that regard. Some of the more modern pictures are good too (e.g., Romero zombie flicks, the glut of early 80s horror films, some of the Friday the 13th movies, etc.). Beyond that, there are few things are unintentionally funny and wacky as those crappy, campy, B-movies of yesteryear. A whole study could be done on those pictures, but I digress.

So, what are some of your favorite horror flicks? They can be classics, actually frightening, hilarious, wacky, or any combination of said. Thanks!

Last Edited:
Vincent price classics - he always imparted an 'intellectual' creepyness to his roles.

Any B & W 'monster' movies but probably a few of the best are 'Them!' , 'Tarantula, and 'Not of this earth'

Last Edited:
Texas Chain Saw!!! Still creeps me out! Any of the Tails from the crypt, most wouldn't be considered creepy, but I always loved most of the stories! Same for the Twilight zone, Classic!
The X-files are another I enjoy in small doses! Any of the older Steven King classics that they made into movies, IT is still one of the best in my book!

Love the old '50's monster movies! I remember as a little kid, going to the Avalon theater in PDX, for three "B" monster movies for $0.35! Then....walking home, in the middle of a dark, deserted, Belmont street and watching the shadows! :D

A couple of favorites:
"The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms"
"The Tingler"
"Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman"

I'm also a fan of Godzilla flicks, mostly for the humorous stuff!

Not exactly horror, but a B&W cousin. Good thread, Gent! :)

I remember an interview with Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune on John Carpenters 1978 fright flick "Halloween",
He said that it scared him so bad, that he took a taxi home from the theater, and he only lived three blocks away.
That alone kept me from going to see it.

Oh man! I forgot!
Any movie with the special effects done by Ray Harryhausen (sp)!

He was the master of stop motion photography! Movies like:
"The 7th Voyage of Sinbad"
"The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms"
"The Black Scorpion"
And, many, many more!:D

The Shining. In my opinion best horror movie ever made.

Session 9. Probably my favorite after the shining
The Babadook
The Awakening
Nightbreed (directors cut) This was never on my radar, but it's great. I think it was originally screwed up on editing, the directors cut is excellent.
Event Horizon
New Nightmare, Wes Craven completes the nightmare on elm street series he started.
All of those mentioned above aside from the shining, are streaming on Netflix.

It Follows, very inventive unique horror movie, another favorite.
Sinister
Trick r Treat, good mix or horror and comedy
The Devils Backbone
Exorcism of Emily Rose
Insidious
Halloween II remake, didn't love the original rob zombie remake but loved the sequel.
Wolf creek, grizzly Australian outback horror.
The Hills Have Eyes 1&2 remakes, wasn't a huge fan of the original but liked these two a lot.

These next ones are classics from years past.
The Brood
Videodrome
Dressed to Kill
The Vanishing- chilling ending

Lighter hearted horror-
April Fools Day - Best 80's slasher movie by far, criminally underrated

Friday the 13th part VI Jason Lives, definitely the best Jason movie, great mix of scares and laughs, only Jason movie with kids at camp crystal lake.

What We Do in the Shadows- Hilarious vampire movie

Phantasm 2- only phantasm movie I'm a fan of, great weapons

Return of the living dead 1&2. Classic horror comedy, I think the original movie to associate zombies with eating brains.

So, there's a few of the top of my head. Also a big fan of Tales From the Crypt.

Last Edited:
Cool thread!
I like or have seen most of the movies posted.
One that I like that hasn't been mentioned is The Haint.

It is an off beat one man show about a ghost in a small southern town.
Not really scary by very entertaining.

R-Point is scary. it is about a ROK platoon in VietNam and just what happens when they set up in an abandoned village.
Dead Snow is also good . Nazi Zombies , 'nuff said. :)
Andy

Last Edited:
I've watched a bunch of the Movies mentioned already. None scared me & some are pretty hilarious.

The one fright flick that freaked me out was the original "The Blair Witch Project". Didn't go camping for a long while after seeing that movie.

Lack of coffee had me forget to mention these two in my first reply.
Shaun of the Dead.
And one I have enjoyed since childhood Walt Disney's cartoon version of the Legend Of Sleepy Hollow.
Andy

I was going to mention Shaun of the Dead - great film - I love Simon Pegg.

That cartoon of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow scared the crap out of me as a kid. I had a hard time being outside at night, or even near an open window at night for years after seeing that one.

I'm not a big horror fan, but a well-made creepy/scary/intense mystery movie will catch my attention. I find I prefer movies that aren't so blatantly obvious about what the threat is - it's scarier to work up what you think it is in your mind rather than just have something running around in front of you through the whole movie.

I would have to throw in a few M. Night Shyamalan movies - I know he's often panned, but I did like:

The Sixth Sense
Signs
The Village

And another that creeped me out for a while some years back: The Blair Witch Project

Maybe a few others:

Pet Semetary
Poltergeist (only the 1st one - damn fine movie)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top