JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question: If I am a Washington resident and my son is an Oregon resident and both are eligible to purchase/own firearms, and I want to gift him one of my firearms (or vice versa), does this need to go through an FFL/transfer in either state?

Per federal law there is no exception to the FFL transfer between immediate family members who are residents of different states. Inheritance from deceased relative who resided in different state than the recipient is one.

The Oregon law has an exemption for close relation, including father—son transfers. I can't say for Washington. But the bottom line is Federal statutes requires it to go through an FFL.

May a licensee sell a firearm to a nonlicensee who is a resident of another State?
Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensee to a nonlicensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller's licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensee whose business is in the purchaser's State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the licensee in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee's business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.99(a)]

Yes. You are still a Washington resident even though you are visiting Oregon.
That's why I find this a bit confusing, I was born in Oregon. You can have dual citizenship to travel from country to country and call it home, but never in the states...

Feds just creating silly assed laws...

Renting alone doesn't establish residency. Different states have different residency definitions and some have different definitions for different purposes even within the same state. Generally residency is established by the physical presence in the state with the intent to remain there indefinitely. Many people assume that Washington requires you to live here 90 days before becoming a resident, but this isn't true.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews