JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I had a nickle every time some family campaigns that "so and so" was a nice guy, do-the-right-thing kind of kid, never in trouble before and is somehow not responsible for their actions, I would be sitting pretty. Typical though, the bad actions of the perpetrator are everyone else's fault, never the perpetrator. The perpetrator showed ability, opportunity and intent.

Here's to hoping they lose their civil suit, should they bring one.

If I had a nickle every time some family campaigns that "so and so" was a nice guy, do-the-right-thing kind of kid, never in trouble before and is somehow not responsible for their actions, I would be sitting pretty. Typical though, the bad actions of the perpetrator are everyone else's fault, never the perpetrator. The perpetrator showed ability, opportunity and intent.

Here's to hoping they lose their civil suit, should they bring one.

I bet if their wasn't a video of the incident, they could have won too...but I seriously doubt any "legal action" would produce anything but a lot of time, money and grief on all parties.

You point a gun at me, you're going to get shot.

Not a lot of grey area there.

Here's the story so you can stay in the thread:

"
The family of an armed robber is speaking out after surveillance video was released of their family member committing an armed robbery.
On the video Dante Williams is clearly seen entering a South Carolina Waffle House, pointing a gun at employees and customers and attempting to rob the restaurant.
Justin Harrison was eating at the bar. Harrison, a concealed carry permit holder, was armed. He waited for an opportunity, shot Williams, and attempted to detain the second suspect.
The family of Williams says that Harrison didn't need to shoot and shouldn't have felt threatened. They want to change South Carolina's carry permit laws to require more training in order to get a permit. "

Okah, now I have heard everything. With family like that it's not hard to see how an armed robber was the spawn.

He's pointing a gun at me and demanding money, but I shouldn't feel threatened? Yeah, got it.o_O

The video does shows that he pursued them as they were leaving the restaurant.

Not quite perused "them". He attempted to detain the second suspect, got into a bit of a scuffle that managed to move outside as the second suspect fled the scene. The video clearly exonerates Mr. Harrison in his self defense actions.

McSwain said her family was disappointed that Harrison wasn't charged in the shooting and says her family is still considering pursuing other legal action against him.

So can Harrison sue the family for not teaching the kid to be a decent human being and for emotional trauma that he has for killing another person?
Boy I'd get my attorney on it if they tried to sue

Not quite perused "them". He attempted to detain the second suspect, got into a bit of a scuffle that managed to move outside as the second suspect fled the scene. The video clearly exonerates Mr. Harrison in his self defense actions.
It was really hard to tell what was going on. When the initial shots were fired, you can't see Harrison so can't tell that a gun was pointed at him. My assumption was that the shots was fired at the end. I was wrong. Thanks for the correction.

Family is probably clearly upset about their son. It is not just them "pushing" the issue. They have an attorney. Who would you put your money on if you were to bet who was urging the family to pursue suing? My money is on someone that will be collecting 1/3 of what the family is awarded.

Attorney's love grey areas to win their cases.

Personally..... there are too many starving attorneys that are willing to take cases like this. Morally right or not, they don't care. If they did, they wouldn't touch this case!

More states should pass laws that restrict civil actions against people who are found to have acted in self-defense. Or at least make them pay all legal fees if they lose. That would keep this type of thing from happening.

The video does shows that he pursued them as they were leaving the restaurant.

This is a common misconception when it comes to self defense or defense of another...

Can you pursue a fleeing felon?

Yes.

Can you detain someone and place them under "citizens arrest" if they've committed a felony in your presence?

Yes.

Can you, as a citizen, use force on a felon to detain them?

Yes, but only if that act is to protect other people.

Can you shoot someone in the back, chase them down and use deadly force on someone that just used unjust deadly force on you or others?

Absolutely- but only if that individual is still a deadly threat.

Let me explain...

Guy tries to rob you/others. He's got a gun out and you pull out your firearm...

If he drops his gun and runs he is no longer a threat and can no longer shot him. You can try to stop him and detain him, but your best bet is to call the police, tell them what happened and be a good witness to the crime.

Now, say he doesn't drop the gun...in my opinion- he is still a deadly threat until he is no longer armed. Just because he left the restaurant doesn't mean he's no longer a threat.

You don't have to wait for the badguy to run to cover or reload to shoot him. He's a threat until he's not.

Last Edited:
It was really hard to tell what was going on. When the initial shots were fired, you can't see Harrison so can't tell that a gun was pointed at him. My assumption was that the shots was fired at the end. I was wrong. Thanks for the correction.

I agree the way it was edited (assuming it was to not show the fatal shot) it was hard to follow. I actually dug through some internet info and went with the statement by the sheriff. If the sheriff says you acted in self defense...well it doesn't get much better than that.

Although doing a Google search for Waffle House robbery turned up a surprising number of hits, even when I added the name of the town. You take you life in your hands going into one of those places. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top