JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am an FAL shooter. I think he HK system has one good point- cheap high quality magazines.
Other than that I think the FAL beats it in every way. Mine have 16" barrels and are the same size as an AR15 with the same length barrel. I find the FAL the easiest to shoot rifle I've owned over ARs, M1A, AK, even bolt guns.

Now...as I'm invested in the platform I'll not be changing BUT if I had the dough I'd buy a SCAR. I'd also think very hard about an AR10 platform like Daniel Defense. Hell I've seen videos of guys shooting an out of the box scoped Smith&Wesson M&P10 at 1000 yards!

Really the choice boils down to optics. If you want a bone stock military type rifle get an FAL or M1A. Buy mags, ammo, and a sling. Nothing else. If you want optics- get an AR10 platform.

My vote would be PTR. Shot FALs, never owned one. Owned an HK-91 clone (Federal Arms FA-91) and loved that beast. Yes, fluted chambers will mangle brass. Yes, roller locked rifles are different, and can be more difficult sometimes, but I never had a hiccup from my gun in a couple thousand rounds through it (back when .308 was "cheap" and vaccuum sealed battle packs of south african ammo were easy to come by)

I owned mine back before the "ar type" accessories started being readily available for HK pattern guns. Now you can get free float foreends, quad rails, pic rail on the upper itself, better triggers, etc. I had the old metal trigger group on my rifle, but have shot the polymer "navy style" trigger groups and found them decent.

If I were getting a new HK pattern gun, I would want the collapsible stock version, if nothing else for transport to make the package more compact. And it's 2nd kind of cool. Screw claw mounts - get pic rail uppers. Or get an old school upper and forget optics - iron sights on the HK pattern guns are good out to a couple hundred yards on man-size targets. Maybe I'm weird, but I really like the HK style diopter sight.

Interesting thread and I took my time reading it. Im an older geezer and have used/possessed many firearms. These days a stock Imbel FAL, scoped 3X9 scoped M1A, and a Portuguese H&K are my heavy-hitters, while ARs, AKs fill a plinking niche tho I enjoy and trust them for closer-in or around the hacienda self-defense role. No issues with the ARs or AKs and the Old Woman can operate an AR15.
Between the FLA, H&K, and M1A I can swear by the M1A's accuracy but not entirely trusting of it not to blow an extractor or crack a bolt. Springfield was GREAT with service tho, sent a postage paid box to ship the rifle to them and a week or two later it came bake with what appeared to be an UNUSED TRW bolt assembly. Since then (1985) it has performed like a champ, no other issues. It is arguably my favorite .308/7.62NATO rifle. I like the more traditional styling with REAL WOOD. Mine has a very well-figured wood, beech I THINK(?) but maybe birch. I sanded that sucker smooth and began the BLO process until the gloss was quite thick, you could almost see your reflection..
I "Like" my FAL as a possible SHTF rifle (I noticed more than a few FALs in people's hands, porches and boats after Katrina) It's simple to use, clean and maintain and there are after-market parts and scopes and other stuff for the FAL, and it's fairly simple to work on or build-it-yourself from a parts kit.
My Portuguese H&K is a bit klunky feeling compared to the others but it operates well and is reliable. Mags mounts and other stuff is available The worst issue is that exposed gas tube which if dented ties up the rifle. Personally I don't like dickin with the roller bolt, seems pretty complicated. Hope this helps :)

I have an Olympic Arms FAL.
I had a Springfield M1A.

I really do like the FAL. I traded the M1A away.
I don't have experience with a HK-91 & variants, but a PTR91 with collapsible butt-stock. it's on my list.
Speaking from experience, you might want to spend some shooting time with the HK collapsable buttstock first. I spent some bucks getting one for my HK91... it is the most cantakerous mean buttstock bar none that ever dug a hole in my shoulder. The "pad" is shaped all wrong and isnt made for comfortable ergos... Why they are designed this way is beyond my comprehension, since it seems it would be just as easy to have made it user-friendly while they were at it.
The original-style Kalash folder is more comfortable to use, IMO. YMMV!

They don't call it the "meat cleaver" stock for nothing.:)
I don't find it as bad as others but it's definitely not fun when it's hot and all you have on is a T-shirt.
It's cool you only have to yank two pins and off it comes and the full stock goes on.
FYI, the butt pad was designed for shooting rifle grenades while the butt is supported on the ground. I guess that was more important than shooting comfort.

If anybody is interested, I have a HK91/PTR91 clone for sale (https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/hk91-clone-hesse-h91-308-7-62-with-21-mags.223141/) with 21 mags

250797-2a304fd20396eb61059ebd98e9f5f76b.jpg

Last Edited:
FAL. But I probably shoot my HK-91 more. Both are great guns if made correctly.
Cut corners. Or get something like tempering the steel wrong. Or take away chamber flutes.
And your HK-91/G3 gun will be a frustrating mess.

The feed ramp, and what acts as magazine lips for the FAL are formed in the upper receiver. The magazine is just a bullet holder.
And you need the right length gas plug, and Rod. You absolutely cant go mixing Inch and metric parts around all willy nilly.
Some will work. Some need modified. And some will not work at all!
Get these things wrong and an FAL is a frustrating mess.

Know that all parts are not created equally or are necessarily correct [As in inch vs metric]. ;)
And when you talk about other than original factory built guns. Like Clones. Or kit built guns.
You introduce a lot of variables. And are not really talking about the guns as originally designed or built.

They can be just as good. Even better! If given special attention.
But the people complaining there FAL or HK rifle is a POS? :s0092:

DSCN4346.JPG :s0014: DSCN4347.JPG

Last Edited:
I've owned both types, and like others have already said, each has its advantages. Overall, my personal preference is for the FAL, especially if it's a rifle you want to rely on for the long haul, and possibly a SHTF situation. I think it has an edge over the G3 platform in durability and simplicity.

11016076_10152578979985836_5955819432344625433_n.jpg 038.JPG

No matter which one you choose, keep in mind it's a beast to feed.

2x the cost in powder and 3x in bullet weight. But fun as heck!

I've shot both and the 91 was a soft shooting gun..... UNTIL I shot an FAL, it was the winner !

You're gunna love it;)

Shot it for the first time yesterday.

I had read numerous posts on other forums about these rifles having harsh recoil so I had already purchased a HK-21E rubber buttpad and replaced the stock end cap and I was also considering a heavy recoil buffer to replace the standard buffer.

However, after shooting it yesterday, I have become further convinced that we have a generation of girly men posting on the Internet. The recoil, while different from gas guns, was actually pleasant. Zero sore spots on my shoulder. I truthfully think that my TNW ASR, which is also a direct blowback weapon, has more recoil.

On another note, I ordered a dozen surplus aluminum G3 magazines from Centerfire Systems at $1.50 each. At that price I expected heavily used magazines since most of the magazines I found on the interwebs that were rated "unissued" were $10+. I was completely surprised when I opened the box to find 9 out of the 12 unissued and in the wrapper. The remaining three were barely used. I immediately ordered 18 more.

E

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top