JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know its not part of your equation,

But I would choose one of my .308 AR rifles over my HK no question if I needed a full caliber battle rifle for anything "real"

Lighter, faster and easier to use and it just seems to be more conducive to shooting well.

I went through the battle rifle thought process and flip-flopped all over the place between PTR-91, FAL, and the M1A. They are all great and each has it's appeal. At the end of the day I went with a small frame AR10 piston rifle. It's nearly as light and nimble as an AR-15, has all the great ergonomics, and shares many parts with my AR-15's. Also, the battery of arms is the same as my other rifles, so less chance of screwing up under pressure. Also note that my rifle below as outfitted with scope and bipod weighs about the same as a PTR-91 out of the box.
upload_2015-12-24_16-35-44-png.43538.png

Now, back to the OP's question - between the PTR-91 or a FAL - no ownership experience, but if I had to pick one and my life depended on it the FAL. But if I only had access to a PTR-91 I wouldn't exactly be worried.

Handle them and get a feel then go with your instinct.

Forget roller lock rifles. When they start to get fussy with said trunion/rollers or even if its over oiled (if stored upright so all the barrel oil leaks down to the chamber/bolt/rollers over time) you essentially have a fancy single shot rifle that mangles brass unless you stay on top of it. They can also be picky with certain loads.

That being said I LOVED the modularity, cheap mags and the (for me) perceived (minimal) recoil of the roller lock Cetmes, PTR and C91 I had owned.

Go with an FAL variant, an M1A set up or an AR10 or (LR/SR) variant.

Well, there has to be a cross poster in every thread. So, here I am!
Get an M1-A! Love mine can't be beat!

You a 'merican or what, boy? :cool:
Had one and liked it but sold it to buy a savage varmint rifle Whig has morphed into my long range target rifle.

It was Sophie's choice. Which do you keep? FAL? Or M1-A? FALs were cooler so kept them.

To be honest, I'd never cock block a sunt with his wont of a .308.. of course. But I'd more say to master a/the handgun.. a 9mm loaded for proof mules.

I've had and worked on both - prefer the FAL, primarily because of the adjustable gas system and the controls. Also, Ive seen a FAL that had been shot to the point that the bolt had worn a slot through the side of the receiver and it was still functional. The FAL doesn't eat brass since it doesn't have a fluted chamber, and parts aren't all that hard to come by.

Not much bad to say about the HK either, aside from they seem a bit front heavy to me and if you don't learn how to work on it expect a higher than average repair fee from any of the "elite" HK smiths along with a bit of a wait. Many of the parts are pretty pricey for them. I guess the big perk is the cheap mags since the days of $5 FAL mags flew away back in the mid 90s.

I have had both and kept with the G3 type. I have had a few CETMEs and all have run perfect. I have had a couple FALs with the same results. You can find Junkers in both catagories.
The FAL has adjustable gas (yes?) and the 91 doesn't.
The FAL is longer and the 91 mags are cheaper
Both try to destroy brass and launch it 30 yards
My CETME is MOB at 400yds
Soooo,which one fits you best? Looks best to you?
That's the one to buy.
Oh yeah, I believe parts can be had for both on an equal level

Had one and liked it but sold it to buy a savage varmint rifle Whig has morphed into my long range target rifle.

It was Sophie's choice. Which do you keep? FAL? Or M1-A? FALs were cooler so kept them.

Um....Sure! Sounds like a reasoned choice! :)

Except, WRONG, on the cooler part!!! :D

I Have had and used pretty much every variant of the G-3 and off shoots, ant I find them very reliable and accurate. That said, I still chose the FAL. The plusses for the FAL, it is easy on parts, and the recoil is less, the adjustable gas system works for tuning and when the rifle gets so fowled it stops running, the ergos are first rate and better then any other battle rifle out there, accuracy is about as good as your going to get from a "stock" battle rifle, the controls are easy to use by feel alone and with gloves and the trigger is better then just about any other. I have never had issues with mangeling brass and I can adjust the gas system to keep it from launching brass into the next county! The only minus's, the FAL rear sights suck, and if you get loosness in the front hinge pin, the rifle gets a little wobbley and accuracy goes to hell! The best thing the G-3 has is it's rear sight! other then that, it's just a nicer CETME!

I have an Olympic Arms FAL.
I had a Springfield M1A.

I really do like the FAL. I traded the M1A away.
I don't have experience with a HK-91 & variants, but a PTR91 with collapsible butt-stock. it's on my list.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top