JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Too broad of an answer on the FAL's. For all we know they were Century/garage builds(same thing;)).
They can be finicky if built from a kit. It's just luck of the draw. Start with DSA and work your way up.

Too broad of an answer on the FAL's. For all we know they were Century/garage builds(same thing;)).
They can be finicky if built from a kit. It's just luck of the draw. Start with DSA and work your way up.
Older DS prefix FALs. DSA has gone downhill once they had to make all their own parts.

Kit builds shouldn't have issues if everything was put together right and didn't have crap receivers (Hesse, Ohio Rapid Fire, CAI, etc).

9/18 Edited: I still think roller lock rifles can be finicky.. My PTR hates steel cases at the moment and FTE, That being said I couldnt fathom not having a G3 variant should there be a ban so I went and picked one up. Now all I need is the FAL.

I much enjoy AR10's and M1A's.. but the G3 and FAL ARE just too iconic NOT to have.

Last Edited:
Resurrecting my now four year old thread.......

As noted earlier in the thread, I ended up buying a PTR GI model. I actually own two of them now but neither one looks anything like they did when they were unboxed. That is part of the fun of HK roller lock guns.....surplus parts galore. Both guns have been flawless on the range and field.

Many suggested that I should get the FAL. Others suggested why not both?

Yesterday......four years after the fact....it became both. Oregon Rifleworks had a minty and what looks to be unfired Springfield Armory SAR 48 on the wall. After getting a shockingly fast BGC approval from the state (backlog 5000+...I must be living right) it came home to join the other Cold War kids.

20200919_085413.jpg

For those who do not know, the SAR 48 is the semi automatic version of the FN licensed FAL built by IMBEL in Brazil. Springfield Armory imported these in the late 80's up until the GHWB import ban.

I had the opportunity to purchase one in the 90's for $800 but passed. Always regreted doing that, especially since they don't pop up often on the used market.

IMBEL produced these as metric pattern rifles unlike the Commonwealth nations...Canada, Australia, Great Britain.....who produced inch pattern rifles such as the L1A1.

This one has every indication of being unfired. The first shot will be the hardest.

20200919_085909.jpg 20200919_090115.jpg

For those who do not know, the SAR 48 is the semi automatic version of the FN licensed FAL built by IMBEL in Brazil. Springfield Armory imported these in the late 80's up until the GHWB import ban.

I had the opportunity to purchase one in the 90's for $800 but passed. Always regreted doing that, especially since they don't pop up often on the used market.

IMBEL produced these as metric pattern rifles unlike the Commonwealth nations...Canada, Australia, Great Britain.....who produced inch pattern rifles such as the L1A1.

This one has every indication of being unfired. The first shot will be the hardest.

View attachment 751748View attachment 751749
SO, your going to be selling the G-3/PTRs in a day or too now?
:D:p

Enjoy your new FAL, it will be worth it!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top