JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lately I've been itching for a 7.62 battle rifle. Originally I was convinced that I wanted a PTR-91 but now some folks have put the FAL bug in my head.

What do you fellows think?

E

I have a couple of fal's and a 91 I choose the fal.for the following reasons
I reload and the fal is a lot kinder to the brass.
I dislike stamped sheet metal
I like the cocking lever location on the fal better.
I like the recoil of the fal better
The 91 has cheaper mags
I like the scope mounting better on the fal.
You know I really don't like the 91 all that much

James

I have owned 4 HK91 pattern rifles (one being a real HK) and one FAL.

The FAL I had sucked, All the HK's have been great.

Its been 20 years ago that I owned the FAL so telling you why it sucked is a bit difficult but it simply was not a pleasure to shoot and seemed awful sloppy and poorly made.

Now I have never owned a cheap hk91 pattern rifle ( I currently own a PTR91, the "cheapest" variant I have ever had, but I have not shot it yet so I cant comment much on it. Other than the plastic trigger pack it seems as good as previous rifles)

I know a lot of folks who bash roller locks, My experience has been good but then my experience has always been that of a guy playing with an expensive toy. My life has never depended on it.

So I guess basically I have nothing of value to add :D

I have owned a ptr91 and a DSA fal. The fal is a stronger design and due to adjustable gas system it feels better through recoil (IMHO). I truly love the fal and have had zero issues with mine.

The availability of cheap magazines and parts had me leaning toward the PTR...but "the right arm of the free world" has a nice ring.

E

I think the only reasonable thing to do is buy both, Try them out (say for 10 or 20 years) and then sell the one that comes in second, or keep it around for a backup. :D

I enjoy my FAL. Had mine built so it checked off more boxes for me. It will probably stay in my stable for a while...

Do love the HK, but I want one in .223 and I wish PTR would make one to avoid having to deal with a cheap variant...

For once I can say I have both.
I like them both and if I had to choose one it would probably be the FAL just because it is more user friendly.
The HK is a brute but absolutely 100% reliable.
If you get a PTR make sure you get the paddle mag release and railed version.
The FAL is ready to fight but a real HK or older PTR will need some kind of mag release and an extended safety lever if you use the traditional metal lower.
These days there is no good reason to pick a claw mount over a permanent rail unless you are a collector.

Neither and get a SCAR17;)

Bah! Get a .308 Galil... Muslim terrorists lay awake at night sweating, and tremble in FEAR before it!

:s0003: :s0103:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Lately I've been itching for a 7.62 battle rifle. Originally I was convinced that I wanted a PTR-91 but now some folks have put the FAL bug in my head.

What do you fellows think?

E

Are you going to go to the August 27th clean up?
Cleanup and Celebration at North Fork Wolf Creek Shooting Lanes! - Aug 27 2016

If so I can bring my PTR91 and let you try it. My only complaint is I have small hands and cant reach the mag release without releasing the grip.

But otherwise its like an old reliable truck. Feels like a solid chunk of metal (which it is) and just keeps on going. Plus I have like 100 mags for it since I found a place selling used ones for a dollar.

Also it ejects the spent brass forward about 50 yards so you have to go hunt for it. As you can imagine, it is very rough on the brass. You could probably attack two targets at once the way it throws brass.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top