JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having shot most and owned none.

If I were to buy, I'd go towards AR10 platform.

Something intriguing about the size and weight of a 16" barreled AR10 rifle places it in the lead over the steel receivered 308 battle rifles.

As for Mags. 308 Pmags aren't too bad.

Something like this CMMG.

image.png

My first love in battle rifles is THE Rifle, Caliber 30 M1.
Second is the FAL and L1A1.
M14s are bastard children.:eek:
G3s are beaters.

If you want super accuracy, pack a bolt gun and have a good spotter with a battle rifle next to you.

If you want to impress the chicks, tell them about your AR10. No one else cares.

$.02

Oh and I'll throw an honorable mention to the Molot VEPR. Owned one in 54R. Wish id kept it. They have them in 308. Very nice AK platform rifles. I may have to consider getting another if things get stupid in November myself. Just don't see many version 2s out there anymore.

image.jpeg

My first love in battle rifles is THE Rifle, Caliber 30 M1.
Second is the FAL and L1A1.
M14s are bastard children.:eek:
G3s are beaters.

If you want super accuracy, pack a bolt gun and have a good spotter with a battle rifle next to you.

If you want to impress the chicks, tell them about your AR10. No one else cares.

$.02

Spoken like a true irons sight guy Terry!

I built both my FAL's and I like them for many reasons, but the controls are outstanding. You don't need to do any extra movement to reach mag release (it's already where your thumb would be when you grab it) or the bolt release (push straight out with your trigger finger or use the hand rocking in the magazine.)
The charging handle is a big deal for me. The AR charging handle sucks, and that's why you see side charging AR's on the market (finally!) It's easy to get to and isn't too big or too small.
Look up "Ol' Dirty FAL" and you'll find why I rarely feel the need to clean my FAL's.
Opening it up to pull the bolt is simply a matter of pushing up on another easy to reach control and popping it open. Bolt pulls right out.

Both? Either?
Depends on your needs
my 91 is the "truck" gun, built like a tank, mags are cheap, parts are cheap and easy to replace and it eats all flavors of garbage ammo. It is also still in service (Kenya, Turkey, Iran) some say it is more accurate, I can't really say either way. The SC and A3 have weaver mounts welded on the receiver so optics are easy. The sights on the 91 are better if you are going to stick with Irons.

My DSA58 gets used a lot, it is the go to gun, it has better ergonomics, ( bolt hold open, bolt release next to the mag release allowing for easier and faster reloading) adjustable gas system and is IMO comfy to shoot. Also, the FAL will take a can without many issues where there have been some bad reviews of the 91 suppressed.

Mags and parts are not as cheap, but affordable and with a new polymer option - Moses Mag- there are some decent after market mounts out there now as well. I have a 308 ACOG on mine with the DSA factory mount and it works fine.

I feel more confident with FAL because it fits me better, can be reloaded faster and smoother and is not as heavy as the 91. Both are outstanding rifles in regards to durability and function, but the FAL wins at being user friendly and being easier to clean.

I had this same question a few years ago and like the AK / AR debate I still ended up with both. But I can say that the FAL goes to the range more, I even take it for security when I go to the gravel pits.

hope this helps

Anyone tried/bought the DSA FAL Voyager version? Cheaper by about $400. I've been tempted to get one.

DSA has had varying quality control issues lately. If it works, great. If not, DSA's warranty response has not been great.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top