Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Fairview city councilor's handgun making colleagues nervous at meetings - LET'S HELP!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Joe Link, May 20, 2010.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I really think we ought to contact Mr. Quinby and the rest of the Fairview City Council with calls/letters/emails letting them know how we feel.

Here's the original story

2. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the implication if "the pursuit of happiness" meant that you could tell ANYBODY at ANY TIME what THEY have to do to make YOU happy???

Thank God for state pre-emption.

3. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Your opinions are limiting my ability to pursue happiness. We should outlaw your opinions.

Makes sense, right?

Your banning firearms from the place I work limits my ability to pursue happiness. We should outlaw laws that ban firearms.

Hey, this is FUN! Who knew that being a moron was so dang entertaining??

4. hjohnsonjr

hjohnsonjr East County Member

This is ridulous. I'm a resident of Fairview, about two blocks away for city hall. That little community of 10,000 has quite a criminal element. Gangs, tough apartment houses, and the infamous Wood Village right next door.

Tell Barbara Jones and the other complainers to get a life. The problem is the neighborhood environment, not Quinby.

FYI...many of the citizens carry just walking to Wood Village because of the tough people in the vicinity

Thank you to the councilor for carrying and making the meeting safer for all.

5. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

I just tried to send Barbara Jones this message via her official feedback form:

Congratulations, Councilor Jones! You've become instantly famous!
    Even here in Aloha I've read all about your fears regarding Councilor Quinby's legally carried pistol.
    It's too bad that "the pursuit of happiness" doesn't give you the automatic right to tell other people what to do.
    And thank God for state pre-emption.

Guess what - my browser "can't find the server," meaning that their web address isn't valid. So they can't receive public feedback! Nothing like responsive governance, eh?

6. xstayfrostyx

xstayfrostyx PDX Member

People have a natural tendency to fear what they don't understand.

7. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

It sounds like this dispute has little to do with Quinby's gun, and the other councilors are just trying to throw anything at him that might stick.

Dumb move on their part. It seems pretty clear that he used his political influence to help a restaurant he works for get out of trouble. The fact that the rest of the council brought his gun into the debate means it'll be easier for him to use the 2nd Amendment as a shield behind which he can hide his corrupt, borderline criminal, activities.

8. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Has anyone found an email for this guy? I would like to send him a message urging him to stick in there.

9. daiello91

daiello91 NW Oregon Active Member

10. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

That seems very general. If it goes to all the council members I'll have to refrain from sending the message:

[Bleep] her she's a stupid [bleeping] [bleep]. :bluelaugh::laugh::bluelaugh:

11. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

I just watch this on the news what a joke.... Lets all do an OC meet at the next Meeting!

12. pdxjohann

pdxjohann Portland near Tigard Member

Zack, you hit that nail square.

13. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not a bad idea!

14. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

Glanced off it a little bit. Dude is likely just unethical, not quite corrupt or criminal.

15. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

I DID :yes:

16. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

My $.02:

I'm all for this guy carrying to keep himself safe from attack. That said....

I don't know this guy, but it makes me nervous if a guy is carrying a Glock in his fanny pack with his cell phone and glasses (and who knows what else). Fumble fumble fumble bang. Oops. It happens. If I knew and trusted his abilities, I'd feel better about sitting next to him in a meeting.

Second, from the news reports, I'm not ready to make this guy a rallying point. The reports about his involvement at this bar may be completely unfair, but I'd like more information before making his cause my own.

17. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

I sent a letter to them a couple days ago and told them that it would not be tolerated.

Here is the response I received today. Doesn't sound like Barbaras "uncomfortable fears" are going anywhere.

"Thank you for your recent email concerning a question that was asked by one
    of our City Councilors concerning possible prohibition of guns at City Hall.
    The Councilor's question was directed to the City Administrator to research.

This issue has never been considered by the City Council and, based on the
    advice of the City Administrator and City Attorney, the Council has no intention of taking up this issue. As a result of your interest in this recent issue, I am communicating on behalf of the City Council back to you
    as an interested citizen.

Joseph Gall
    City Administrator * City of Fairview
    503-674-6211 * gallj@ci.fairview.or.us"

18. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

I replied with a sincere thanks and stated that it sounds like a little sanity still prevails there.

19. ST Rider

ST Rider Hubbard, OR Member

It seems the original article would have been considerably shorter had Mr. Quinby elected to follow the 'concealed means concealed' mantra. I certainly would not want my coworkers to know if I carry, what I carry and where I carry, much less have it noted in the local paper.

20. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

ani200.gif

"fumble fumble bang".... very insightful.