JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I really think we ought to contact Mr. Quinby and the rest of the Fairview City Council with calls/letters/emails letting them know how we feel.

Here's the original story

Fairview city councilor's handgun making colleagues nervous at meetings

By Matthew Preusch, The Oregonian

May 19, 2010, 7:13PM

<broken link removed> likes to have his .40-caliber Glock G27 handy at council meetings. Quinby says he carries the handgun - which he has a license for and keeps in his fanny pack, along with his cell phone and reading glasses - in case of attack by a disgruntled citizen.

Quinby's gun-packing proclivities, however, make fellow council member <broken link removed> nervous. So much so that she would like to ban guns and other weapons at City Hall.

"I understand the Second Amendment allows you to bear arms; however my 'pursuit of happiness' and ability to live my life safely seems to be taking a back seat to those who run around with concealed weapons," Jones said in an e-mail Monday to city councilors and Fairview's mayor.

Quinby says he has a constitutional right to carry his gun and that his fellow councilors have no reason to fear him.

"I don't have a mean-spirited bone in my body. I can't imagine or fathom attacking one of my fellow councilors," he said. "I would be the first guy to stand in front of them to protect them."

The clash between Quinby and the other councilors in this east Multnomah County city of 9,740, tucked between Gresham and the Columbia River, can be traced to a bar fight on New Year's Eve. In the early hours of Jan. 1, Quinby called 9-1-1 from the Gin Sun Restaurant & Lounge on Northeast Sandy Boulevard to report a fight. Police responding to the scene described it as a melee.

The incident was one in a string of sometimes-violent disruptions at the bar. They prompted the council, acting on a request from Fairview Police Chief Ken Johnson, to vote in April to ask Oregon Liquor Control Commission regulators to not renew the Gin Sun's license.

But Quinby, a patron and sometimes contractor for the bar, later criticized the police department's handling of the fight investigation. He has defended the bar and accused Johnson and police officers of lying and covering up information.

A city review cleared the officers of wrongdoing. Last week Quinby's fellow councilors, calling his criticisms unjustified and not befitting a city councilor, censured Quinby and voted unanimously to ask him to resign his council seat. He declined.

"I know this whole issue has really affected the council," <broken link removed> said.

He said Jones has spoken to him about fearing Quinby. And she's apparently not alone on the council in her concern about guns at City Hall.

"I agree and have felt that way for a long time," <broken link removed> said in a reply to Jones' e-mail, a copy of which was obtained by The Oregonian.

Weatherby said the city probably can't legally ban handguns from City Hall but that some city leaders are discussing a possible council rule that would forbid councilors from bringing weapons to meetings.

"This is not a philosophical or intellectual debate," Weatherby said. "This is very personal."

Quinby said Wednesday that he recognizes his political life might be over, but he hasn't decided whether to resign.

"Obviously I'm doing some soul-searching," he said.

-- Matthew Preusch

Can you imagine the implication if "the pursuit of happiness" meant that you could tell ANYBODY at ANY TIME what THEY have to do to make YOU happy???

Thank God for state pre-emption.

"I understand the Second Amendment allows you to bear arms; however my 'pursuit of happiness' and ability to live my life safely seems to be taking a back seat to those who run around with concealed weapons," Jones said in an e-mail Monday to city councilors and Fairview's mayor

Your opinions are limiting my ability to pursue happiness. We should outlaw your opinions.

Makes sense, right?

Your banning firearms from the place I work limits my ability to pursue happiness. We should outlaw laws that ban firearms.

Hey, this is FUN! Who knew that being a moron was so dang entertaining??

This is ridulous. I'm a resident of Fairview, about two blocks away for city hall. That little community of 10,000 has quite a criminal element. Gangs, tough apartment houses, and the infamous Wood Village right next door.

Tell Barbara Jones and the other complainers to get a life. The problem is the neighborhood environment, not Quinby.

FYI...many of the citizens carry just walking to Wood Village because of the tough people in the vicinity

Thank you to the councilor for carrying and making the meeting safer for all.

I just tried to send Barbara Jones this message via her official feedback form:

Congratulations, Councilor Jones! You've become instantly famous!
Even here in Aloha I've read all about your fears regarding Councilor Quinby's legally carried pistol.
It's too bad that "the pursuit of happiness" doesn't give you the automatic right to tell other people what to do.
And thank God for state pre-emption.

Guess what - my browser "can't find the server," meaning that their web address isn't valid. So they can't receive public feedback! Nothing like responsive governance, eh?

It sounds like this dispute has little to do with Quinby's gun, and the other councilors are just trying to throw anything at him that might stick.

Dumb move on their part. It seems pretty clear that he used his political influence to help a restaurant he works for get out of trouble. The fact that the rest of the council brought his gun into the debate means it'll be easier for him to use the 2nd Amendment as a shield behind which he can hide his corrupt, borderline criminal, activities.

My $.02:

I'm all for this guy carrying to keep himself safe from attack. That said....

I don't know this guy, but it makes me nervous if a guy is carrying a Glock in his fanny pack with his cell phone and glasses (and who knows what else). Fumble fumble fumble bang. Oops. It happens. If I knew and trusted his abilities, I'd feel better about sitting next to him in a meeting.

Second, from the news reports, I'm not ready to make this guy a rallying point. The reports about his involvement at this bar may be completely unfair, but I'd like more information before making his cause my own.

I really think we ought to contact Mr. Quinby and the rest of the Fairview City Council with calls/letters/emails letting them know how we feel.

Here's the original story

I sent a letter to them a couple days ago and told them that it would not be tolerated.

Here is the response I received today. Doesn't sound like Barbaras "uncomfortable fears" are going anywhere.

"Thank you for your recent email concerning a question that was asked by one
of our City Councilors concerning possible prohibition of guns at City Hall.
The Councilor's question was directed to the City Administrator to research.

This issue has never been considered by the City Council and, based on the
advice of the City Administrator and City Attorney, the Council has no intention of taking up this issue. As a result of your interest in this recent issue, I am communicating on behalf of the City Council back to you
as an interested citizen.

Joseph Gall
City Administrator * City of Fairview
503-674-6211 * [email protected]"

I sent a letter to them a couple days ago and told them that it would not be tolerated.

Here is the response I received today. Doesn't sound like Barbaras "uncomfortable fears" are going anywhere.

"Thank you for your recent email concerning a question that was asked by one
of our City Councilors concerning possible prohibition of guns at City Hall.
The Councilor's question was directed to the City Administrator to research.

This issue has never been considered by the City Council and, based on the
advice of the City Administrator and City Attorney, the Council has no intention of taking up this issue. As a result of your interest in this recent issue, I am communicating on behalf of the City Council back to you
as an interested citizen.

Joseph Gall
City Administrator * City of Fairview
503-674-6211 * [email protected]"

I replied with a sincere thanks and stated that it sounds like a little sanity still prevails there.

It seems the original article would have been considerably shorter had Mr. Quinby elected to follow the 'concealed means concealed' mantra. I certainly would not want my coworkers to know if I carry, what I carry and where I carry, much less have it noted in the local paper.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top