JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was experimenting with RL22 powder, which I've never liked much but had a good portion of a pound to burn. Load in question is 7mm Rem Mag, 150gn TTSX loaded .080 off the lands. Charge weight was 60.2gn RL22, just a hair over Barnes' published data minimum. Should have clocked about 2800ft/sec, only got off one round. That round measured 3100 and change, locked my bolt up. Needed to give it a good whack with a mallet to get it unstuck. Brass blew the primer clear out of the pocket. All I can come up with is this particular bottle is not what it says it is. I bought it off the shelf from bimart a few years ago. Never had a problem with near minimum loads in any other chambering with any other powder or any other bullet. Anyone else had issues like this? What did I miss?

Barnes States for this bullet and powder, 58.9 is start, 65.4 is max

Alliant does not have any data for a barnes bullet with RL22, though they do have one with a speer 145gn SP that states 68gn max with RL22. Not apples to apples, I know. The 160gn speer SP is stated to have a max of 65gn RL22

Weight of bullet double checked, powder pulled and weight verified from unfired round. I'm almost tempted to send in what I have left to them and see if it's mislabeled.

Closest I found was Barnes 160gr TSX from Alliant but that was Reloder-26. Yeah I'd have the powder checked out and I'd double check the calibration on the scale and see if it might have been off. I'd try a second round and see if it happens again, it might of been over charged by accident.

Yeah I'd have the powder checked out and I'd double check the calibration on the scale and see if it might have been off. I'd try a second round and see if it happens again, it might of been over charged by accident.
It's a balance scale. Verified zero and known weights tested. Definitely not going to try a second round at all. This went waaaaay beyond a flattened primer. Highest charge weight in my series was 62.4gn, never got past round #1

Glad you are okay and nothing worse happened. Scary since it looks like you were doing the right thing. Have you ever had any issues with these bullets with other loads? Might be worth checking with Alliant to get their thoughts.

Glad you are okay and nothing worse happened. Scary since it looks like you were doing the right thing. Have you ever had any issues with these bullets with other loads? Might be worth checking with Alliant to get their thoughts.
None other than this combo. I have used 7828 and H1000 with some success in this exact rifle so everything I'm looking at here suggests a powder issue? I've never gotten along well with this particular bottle, even in other cartridges. This time a jealous ex lover paid it to attempt a hit.

I'd talk to Alliant about it and see if there might have been a lot recall. I have some Leverevolution powder than locked up my Marlin 30-30 at the bottom rung of the ladder. No recall, but I use 20% under minimum now and it's fine.
I can't recommend doing the same with your RL22 though. I now nothing about 7mm or that powder. Had the same thing happen with Alliant Steel, lot number 14. Had to drop my charges 3grains so as to not bloody my nose with shotgun recoil.

How old is your RL-22? I didn't find anything on Alliant's website, but I did find this post from another website (20 years old).

"Posted: 7/18/2002 10:19:27 PM EST

I was at the fun store today and notice that there was a sign up saying there was a recall on Reloader 22 Lot# 25083.

The Alliant site says some crap about making sure you reduce loads 10% when you use this lot of powder…"

How old is your RL-22? I didn't find anything on Alliant's website, but I did find this post from another website (20 years old).

I was at the fun store today and notice that there was a sign up saying there was a recall on Reloader 22 Lot# 25083.

The Alliant site says some crap about making sure you reduce loads 10% when you use this lot of powder…"

Ugh

I'm using 66gr of RL22 and have had zero pressure signs. Something is wrong.
I agree. Sure would like to know exactly what.

I bought it in, I believe, 2020 just at the start of scarcity. Or possibly very late 2019.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top