JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With all the pressure testing that has been done over the past few years, I have decided to conduct at least 8 more tests. With what we do have now, there is enough data to show a relative linage between CUP and PSI now for the 44-40. We still have a few missing links that could use some closure that will be tested soon.

I tried to simplify what I have done the best I could in the following charts. These charts are always subject to updates based on better and more reliable data and are subject to change without notice. As always, any information below is not intended to be used as actual load data and is for discussion purposes only.

They can be seen here: Click the tabs at the bottom of the charts. If the format is not working good, here is a direct link.

While there may not be any pressure data easily available for original black powder loads prior to 1917, WRA's 1917 dated Cartridge Engineering Office documented 13,000cup service pressures and 16,500 Proof Pressures, for use in the Winchester 73'. It can only be assumed WRA is referring to smokeless powder charges since many of the included cartridges are only smokeless powder cartridges. The Service Pressure directly relates to this particular powder and load for this cartridge. Why, keep in mind that Winchester's first offered 1895 loads through 1925, all used a charge of Dupont No. 2 rifle powder. Original charges indicate 17gr with some at 16gr. Some cartridge examples show a charge as low as 15gr. Handload information of the time also offer charges 17gr and 16gr.

Winchester never advised again the use of these Dupont No. 2 loads (1895 to 1925) in any Winchester 73', regardless of year manufactured. Winchester did advised they not be used in revolvers between about 1900 and 1909.

Winchester switched from Dupont No.2 from to Sharpshooter powder by 1926 and to ball powders by 1949 and to a disk powder by 1979. Winchester always showed a velocity of 1,300fps from it's 1895 introduction through 1950, when the velocity increased to 1,310fps about the time Winchester switched to ball powders. Velocity dropped to 1,190fps advertised when Winchester switched to disk powders around 1979.

For years I have seen reports to indicate that the 44 High Velocity loads (not for use in the Winchester 73' or revolvers) produced 22,000cup. However, a WRA, February 14th, 1917 document may indicate otherwise. It looks as if the WRA Cartridge Engineering Office documented 18,000cup service pressures and 23,500cup Proof Pressures for the 44 W.H.V cartridge . Looking at cartridge examples from the Draw Set I have to late production, the only component that looks to have changed is the primer. The WRA "Balloon Pocket" inside the case appears to be the same through the late 1930's. The powder charge dropped from 20gr down to 13.9 in some examples while the velocities advertised an increase. From 1,500fps in 1903, to 1,564 by 1925 and to 1,570fps by 1938.

Simply put, Winchester loaded their cartridges to Service Pressure loads, but over time they seem to downgrade performance, and lower the charges to a include a safety margin. Many rifles manufactured had bores that ranged from as small as .422" (documented), and as large as .433". "Max" loads from the factory did not seem to be reduced until the late 1970's. Some 1980's handloading manuals showed loads using .430" bullets used in a .436" bore.

Sharp's 1937 "Sharpshooter Powder" handloading data does not indicate a "max" load but lists loads that exceed 13,000cup as well as 18,000cup loads. Loads with a Service Pressure of 13,000cup are listed but pressures not noted. Load pressures of 14,000cup and higher are listed and noted. Winchester started using Sharpshooter powder in 1903 for their 44 WHV loads but switched from Dupont No. 2 to Sharpshooter by 1926 for all 44-40 smokeless loads.

Testing the Sharpshooter loads and Dupont No. 2 loads will not be easy and several obstacles could hinder accurate results. Cases used will be period cases but new primers will be used as well as the Winchester JSP and .424" lead bullets where needed.

I have conducted 83 tests, reverified two (Buffalo Bore loads and Winchester Factory loads) as well as added one more to the list as Test 90. By next week I hope to add 8 or 9 more to include the original powder factory loads.

With the above tests results, if successful, the below charts can be updated to give even better data and cup/psi comparisons for a historical understanding. Hopefully we can get a better idea what the 1914 era HV loads actually produced as well as 1914 era 44 W.H.V. loads.

Pressure Testing data can be seen here
or
directly by clicking here

Pressure Curve comparisons can be seen here

There is tons of data and information the the 44-40 website here

UntitledA .png Untitled1.png UntitledBB.png 50625366_1096334217213827_8650990902187130880_n.jpg 286397011_2088886954625210_7281942436161073808_n.jpg

There is just too much information for me to repost it all here, especially since there is only a link for photographs.

For those that are somewhat following the progress, I have updated the Pressure Testing page of the 44-40 website with a large selection of test result charts to compare.

The test results prove that early smokeless powders used by Winchester produced less pressures than original black powder loads. They also prove that the 44-40 ballistics was greatly reduced by the 1970's.

Black powders of today create less pressure than those of the originals and sends the wrong message about pressure comparisons for modern smokeless loads.

I have created a 44-40 Pressure Time Line for those interested.

I have also updated the 44-40 google docs pages with the Recent Pressure Test Results, also for those interested in understanding the myths of this cartridge's performance of yesteryear vs today.

If you visit the google docs page, make sure you look at all of the data by select all of the tabs at the bottom of the chart window.

Test 84 small.jpg

Speaking of Yesterday vs Today and CPU vs PSI......

My question would also be about?

Ballon Head brass vs. modern Formed brass.

Not that I really care. Because, I mostly follow THE RELOADING MANUAL/ BOOK.

Aloha, Mark

Speaking of Yesterday vs Today and CPU vs PSI......

My question would also be about?

Ballon Head brass vs. modern Formed brass.

Not that I really care. Because, I mostly follow THE RELOADING MANUAL/ BOOK.

Aloha, Mark

Don't use them. Even though they are "solid head cases", they do have a balloon pocket and are weak. This is why Winchester advised NOT to reload the 44 WHV loads.

The below photo shows such an issue. The crack was hard to see from the primer pocket and was almost missed during inspection. I only use them for testing. I do not use them in any firearm.

280505593_1316469565527997_1464678342756552099_n.jpg

Don't use them. Even though they are "solid head cases", they do have a balloon pocket and are weak. This is why Winchester advised NOT to reload the 44 WHV loads.

The below photo shows such an issue. The crack was hard to see from the primer pocket and was almost missed during inspection. I only use them for testing. I do not use them in any firearm.

View attachment 1224934
Wow, I've only ever seen pics from down from the mouth, not actually a side view from a cut one.

Wow, I've only ever seen pics from down from the mouth, not actually a side view from a cut one.

I have been using 20 for testing purposes, this is the first one to give it up! The reason I say don't use them at all is because you never know where they might have been, and that "next shot" could cause ya problems.

I have noticed folks starting to sell old ammo like hot cakes at well above $100 a box and it is not a good idea to shoot them. I just tested some Remington loads from 1974ish. Without dissecting them for inspection, I shot them as is in the test barrel and four of ten split down the side. Nothing wrong with them except it looks like the cases hardened from age. Out of 140 test shots this weekend of old cartridges, those four were the only problems this time.

Book loads designed for modern rifles. How many loads do you get from various brands of brass?

Interestingly enough, some book loads like Lyman's Group II loads, have higher pressures (up to 21,000cup) then Winchester's .44 W.H.V. loads (18,000cup). I also have those test results at the link I provided above in the google docs. Even with those rounds, I have lost count on how many times I have reused Starline cases. I have also used Winchester and Remington cases with no "weakening" problems. On occasions you may have a split mouth but that can be due to handloading techniques rather than a case problem. When the mouth of a case hits the ground, namely a concreate floor, it damages the edge enough to where it can not be seen unless looking real close. This will cause splits eventually if the case is not properly prepped. This is why I only shoot one at a time, so I can hand pull each case from the chamber to keep them from getting damaged. I can not tell you how many case I have pulled with dents in the side from a "grain" of powder that got trapped between the case and the case wall. I have never had a failure where these dents occurred. Case stretching will began at those higher pressures. I let all my cases stretch to about 1.305" before trimming to 1.300". Most come from the factory at 1.295" but I get lucky sometimes and had a few batches come in at 1.300", like Winchester's older cases were.

The bad news is that I was not precise with my aim while performing the tests. The good news is that, even so....look what we got with 100 year old powder, .4255" JSP bullets in a 20" barrel, .429" bore with a 1:20" twist @ 50 yards

3.4", 10 shot group

288992571_752318039137325_961418004955200697_n.jpg

Starline has been out of 44-40 for a long time but they have 38-40 in stock right now. If I was to size the new 38-40 brass to 44-40 would that shorten the brass life?

Edit: The 38-40 is not in stock, it is available to backorder.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads