JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With deer season coming up I'm interested in possible using my AR or AK, I feel competent with both and I believe both are suited calibers for deer. I'm curious the legality of carrying an extra magazine for "woods" protection on my person just in case. The regs says a semi auto much have a magazine capacity of 5 rounds (I have a blocked mag) to harvest an animal but mentions nothing about additions magazines. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone knows if this is legal instead of trying to explain to an ODFW employee why I want to use a "tactical rifle" for hunting.

It might be best if one had several 5 shot "hunting" magazines , rather than carrying a magazine that held more than 5 shots.

I would think the legal out come of carrying a more than 5 round magazine , would depend on how the law was written and interpreted by a Fish and Game officer.
As well as how the officer "interprets" you , your demeanor , your perceived intent with the magazine ,
your actions , etc...
Too much to leave open for chance , in my opinion.

Please note that my post above , does not mean that I am against the ownership of semi auto rifles , or magazines that hold more that 5 rounds.
I am just saying that how a law is written and how it is interpreted may be two different things.
Andy

It might be best if one had several 5 shot "hunting" magazines , rather than carrying a magazine that held more than 5 shots.

I would think the legal out come of carrying a more than 5 round magazine , would depend on how the law was written and interpreted by a Fish and Game officer.
As well as how the officer "interprets" you , your demeanor , your intent with the magazine , your actions , etc...
Too much to leave open for chance , in my opinion.

Please note that my post above , does not mean that I am against the ownership of semi auto rifles , or magazines that hold more that 5 rounds.
I am just saying that how a law is written and how it is interpreted may be two different things.
Andy
Thankyou for your post. I understand what your saying, and i appreciate different perspectives. My thought is as long its the 5 round magazine in the gun that takes the deer its fulfilling the letter and spirit of the law. It can be kind frustrating at times to try and show people this.

Thankyou for your post. I understand what your saying, and i appreciate different perspectives. My thought is as long its the 5 round magazine in the gun that takes the deer its fulfilling the letter and spirit of the law. It can be kind frustrating at times to try and show people this.

You mentioned a "blocked" mag? Is that legal under the hunting regs? I have a 5 rounder from C-products. It is a true 5 rounder... short, no block that could be removed. Just curious.

I think it's legal with the 5rd limiter. You'd have to disassemble the mag to remove it.

If it was me, I would carry a hi cap mag as extra protection for sure.
You shoukd probably check with the Fish and Wildlife office for clarification though.

With deer season coming up I'm interested in possible using my AR or AK, I feel competent with both and I believe both are suited calibers for deer. I'm curious the legality of carrying an extra magazine for "woods" protection on my person just in case. The regs says a semi auto much have a magazine capacity of 5 rounds (I have a blocked mag) to harvest an animal but mentions nothing about additions magazines. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone knows if this is legal instead of trying to explain to an ODFW employee why I want to use a "tactical rifle" for hunting.

I, like you, hunt and scout with an AK.

When I scout I do so with a loaded 30 round mag loaded with hollow points.

My excuse if I see a fire breathing warden is that I am coyote hunting. There are no magazine capacity restrictions on yotes, however you must not use FMJs, same as any other animal. If and when I decide to hunt any other game animal ill get to my spot and slap in a 5 round mag.

I also have a mounted weapon light on my rifle and if the fire breathing warden insists on giving me trouble after saying that I would say that I have a light and 30 round mag for predator defense at night if I camp overnight.

I, like you, hunt and scout with an AK.

When I scout I do so with a loaded 30 round mag loaded with hollow points.

My excuse if I see a fire breathing warden is that I am coyote hunting. There are no magazine capacity restrictions on yotes, however you must not use FMJs, same as any other animal. If and when I decide to hunt any other game animal ill get to my spot and slap in a 5 round mag.

I also have a mounted weapon light on my rifle and if the fire breathing warden insists on giving me trouble after saying that I would say that I have a light and 30 round mag for predator defense at night if I camp overnight.
Why?

Yes, a magazine with a 5-rd limiter installed is legal, just like a shotgun with a dowel in the mag-tube limiting it to two in the tube and one in the chamber.

It is also legal to have A standard capacity magazine on your person as a SD backup (I carry several) just don't be observed hunting with it inserted in your rifle.

Over the years I have taken two deer with my Colt AR15A2, they were under 30-yds with no brush obstructions, and one shot kills each time.

Yes, a magazine with a 5-rd limiter installed is legal, just like a shotgun with a dowel in the mag-tube limiting it to two in the tube and one in the chamber.

It is also legal to have A standard capacity magazine on your person as a SD backup (I carry several) just don't be observed hunting with it inserted in your rifle.

Over the years I have taken two deer with my Colt AR15A2, they were under 30-yds with no brush obstructions, and one shot kills each time.
I hear .223 is a pretty good deer round, what was the results?

I hear .223 is a pretty good deer round, what was the results?

Both were a broadside shots through the heart, shredded aorta.... each time they jumped straight up in the air and landed on the ground DOA.

The one deer that I popped with a .308 (because it was in heavy brush) was a broadside shot through the heart, but he ran off and it took me 30-45 minutes to find him through the brush.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top