JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
some people when they go target shooting stand in one place and fire repeated shots at a target thats what they call practice, here are some methods to try next time out at the range, start with your back towards the target turn chamber and shoot after 5 shots drop to one knee after 5 shots move to a different position do this till your mag is empty, 2 set your targets up in a spread pattern close near far and have some one direct you on what target to shoot this will actually train your eyes to reset faster to objects, 3 next is one every one fails to practice with your firearm loaded but not chambered walk towards your target chamber and start to fire when your mag is empty reload and change direction still firieing while you walk. remember practice back and forth and side to side movement train yourself in a tactical way so you can be shure you're prepared for any situation.

Thanks for the ideas. An untrained man with a gun is an accident waiting to happen. I'm a fair shot but I could use a lot of improvement. You can't be too good! I think that this will help a lot of us.

shoot,move, live...... Mr Cooper said it best... Alway train to survive the situation you may be put in. Start slow and practice safety. As your skill inproves, so does your speed. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is good

The best training you can get as a civilian is by actively shooting IDPA or IPSC matches. IDPA is probably a little more useful since it focuses more on defensive shooting techniques as opposed to the "run and gun" you find in IPSC. The OFA also offers fantastic defensive handgun training.

Unfortunately some of us don't have convenient access to a place where we can do them. :(

Go to your BLM office and get a map of the public lands, most public lands are legal places to shoot, all you have to do is find a place with enough space to move.

A lot of the people I shoot with think accuracy while standing still is the only important thing, I like to find different ways to make it intersting. Try doing a lot of pushups, and then try to steady a gun. Or run 'till you're out of breath, and shoot then.

BTW, great tips Gunny.

Its always good to practice engaging targets while moving to cover. The only problem is trying to accomplish this in the areas most of us shoot. Its not going to happen at an organized range or gun club. Even at the dispersed areas east of Bend I shoot at are often too crowded to accomplish this.

But when you get the chance, its a great thing to practice.

The best training you can get as a civilian is by actively shooting IDPA or IPSC matches. IDPA is probably a little more useful since it focuses more on defensive shooting techniques as opposed to the "run and gun" you find in IPSC. The OFA also offers fantastic defensive handgun training.

IPSC can teach you good skills like moving with the gun and engaging targets rapidly. No doubt about it. The practice and muscle memory you get can be invaluable. But too much gamesmanship can get you killed. For it to be considered training it would need more emphasis on use of tactics, cover, concealment. Or how about the habitual unloading of your gun in the make safe and show clear drill at the end of shooting. Do that out of habit after a real shooting and you could find yourself with an empty weapon before the fight is over. Sometimes good tactics dictate slowing down vs rushing in and blasting away. Other times you may need to rush in with maximum speed. I am going to an OFA course in 2 weeks, I have heard good things about them.

One good drill would be to try fend off a rushing "attacker" with one hand, while drawing with the other. Need either a dummy gun or an "emptied, triple-checked, by all parties, there ain't no ammo within 50 yards" very trusting friend though.
Still don't think I would do it unless it was a dummy gun.:s0131:

One good drill would be to try fend off a rushing "attacker" with one hand, while drawing with the other. Need either a dummy gun or an "emptied, triple-checked, by all parties, there ain't no ammo within 50 yards" very trusting friend though.
Still don't think I would do it unless it was a dummy gun.:s0131:

Or if you know your weapon well enough you can remove a key component; firing pin, main spring, barrel, etc. My S&W works well with the barrel removed. I can even rack the slide to simulate chambering.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top