JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well when I turned around, there was a creepy skinny punk/goth guy standing about 3 inches from my face with a blank stare. It scared me to death and I started yelling at him to get the bubblegum away and he just stood there motionless, silent, and expressionless like a zombie.

Hope I don't sound like I am chest thumping here but if I turned around and had someone right there in my face I would create space in an "expedient and forceful manner." This is especially true if I am somewhat hemmed in by an open car door and another car parked next to me. Your options are limited and creating space "right now" would seem to me to be a very high priority.

If you ever go through a commercial delivery driver school such as fed-ex/ups, etc. they have several points that apply beyond when driving. Some more than others.
-Always look far ahead when driving so you can see the entire picture, this applies when you are walking down the street too.
-Always leave your self an escape route in traffic - don't get boxed in - you should try to keep a cushion area around you to avoid being hit, you may not be able to control whats behind you or to the sides, but you can always control /create space in front of your car with speed control. -Keep your eyes moving - this serves a few purposes, first it keeps you aware of your surroundings, second it keeps you alert. Staring at one item/location can give you tunnel vision and you zone out. Constantly looking around keeps you more aware and more alert.
- Communicate! in traffic use signals, lights and horn to let others know your intentions. When walking this could be walking with purpose and being aware of your surroundings. Doing this will tell others that you are not an easy target and they are more likely to move on to easier prey.
-If you must back up do so on arrival as you have a fresh look at the area and it is less likely that a surprise will occur while backing up.
-Check your mirrors every 8-10 seconds at a minimum (check your 6), knowing what is behind you keeps you from being surprised/blind sided. Also lets you know what is entering your blind spot.

Hope I don't sound like I am chest thumping here but if I turned around and had someone right there in my face I would create space in an "expedient and forceful manner." This is especially true if I am somewhat hemmed in by an open car door and another car parked next to me. Your options are limited and creating space "right now" would seem to me to be a very high priority.

It was the first time anything like that had ever happened to me and I hadn't thought about how I was going to react until it happened (and after). At the time I just knew I was terrified, knew I needed to be away from him, and finally acted..... But there was a part of me that was thinking, "What am I allowed to do in this situation?". It's awful I know, but like a lot of people (especially women), I've been conditioned for years to fear being punished or out of line for doing what's right, or what needs to be done... so I hesitated for a moment. :( I'm just glad the situation turned out well for me.

I always remembered the scence from patriot games when jack uses the van window as a mirror to see the bad guy behind him. I use this a lot not because I think someone is following me, but because I want to know what's around me 360 degrees. I need to get better at situational awareness. I finally started carrying more often, like always when not going to work.

If I don't have a reflective services to look in, I usually just look behind me every minute or so.

^^When unavailable, mirror in front of you is big aid in discreetly watching your surroundings and diving behind a bar is great cover/concealment from which to engage a threat.

When walking around corners make wide turns away from the corner to give yourself time to see what's waiting ‘round the bend.

I try to apply the philosophy of not going to stupid places, with stupid people, doing stupid sh**. It doesn't always work out.

I agree with keeping yourself out of bad situations. I don't go down to Portland much anyone or going "out" I try to stay away from areas where bad people are more likely to be. I worked part time for AAA this last two years and I was driving a truck in some not so nice areas, you definetly keep your head on a swivel looking out for unfriendlies or the occasional car going to run you over.

I have a friend that was just down town at a bar, when him and two friends where leaving the bar a guy walked up to them and out of nowhere punched him in the face, pushed the other two guys to the ground and just took off running. Didn't catch him. I don't know any other details, but I probably would have handled it differently.

Also look up the knockout game. Some groups of kids are playing. They distract you or just walk up to you and punch you trying to knock you out. WTF. people are F'd up these days.

There is some salty language and maybe you wouldn't have to "act" so much but here is a video on ATM's and potential threats. BTW, I'd rather pop in a store and buy a soda pop or chocolate milk and get cash back than use an ATM.

Tony Blauer ATM - YouTube

Haha that's classic. I could pull this off easy.I do have a bad temper and I look pretty crazy when I'm mad. Not to mention my LOUD voice.
Good vid thanks

I wasn't. I don't think I had a CHL at the time. :( I did however pick up some pepper spray the very next day.

You had a bag full of weapons too. Any cleaning supplies? Canned goods?
If you use the cloth shopping bags,just leave a can of corn in the bottom,helleva head knocker.
Keep the kitchen sprays on top of the bag.
If someone creeps into your space,turn quickly with elbows or anything you have.So you hit some innocent person.They won't crowd anyone again.But an elbow to the nose will get most out of your space real quick.
You seem to have it figured out,but as soon as you see someone,stand up straight and look then in the eye,until they pass. Get a good look at them and weigh the situation if they look like a threat or just grampa wondering by.
And watch out for some little chick that's trying not to be a threat,the BF may be lurking close by

It was the first time anything like that had ever happened to me and I hadn't thought about how I was going to react until it happened (and after). At the time I just knew I was terrified, knew I needed to be away from him, and finally acted..... But there was a part of me that was thinking, "What am I allowed to do in this situation?". It's awful I know, but like a lot of people (especially women), I've been conditioned for years to fear being punished or out of line for doing what's right, or what needs to be done... so I hesitated for a moment. :( I'm just glad the situation turned out well for me.

I am glad the situation worked out good. At the very least it serves as a great learning point for all of us as well.

For me I'd rather explain to the cops that the innocent person I just flattened was in my personal bubble and left me no other way of getting away without physically moving them than to risk the chance that they were up to no good. For those in the know, could this scenario be considered assault?

Well in the liberal west coast probably would be considered assault. If you hurt someones feelings its assault. Unless your a bad guy, then your misunderstood and you were trying to get your life on track.

BS

For home, get a dog. The extra eyes and ears help, and some/most will likely be deterred by a larger, barking dog.

I could not agree more. Having had opportunistic thieves knock on my door and be met by my dogs, I've seen the look on their faces, and never saw them again. And an added bonus, they are often better companions than humans.

Hey everyone, outside of being a CHL holder and gun enthusiast I am also a Instructor for the American Redcross as well as contagious disease training instrutor. I think everything I have read so far would make sense
but to be best prepared for a defensive situation one must understand in a situation what if your family not you is harmed what would you do ? LOL and you can not call 911, Funny enough I find many, many people that know how to field down a AK47 but do not know how to Field dress a wound or stop bleeding. Almost always they are wrong in what they were taught. In my classes I have seen big burly guys and small women and everyone in between know nothing about emergency and the injured. If you or your family or friend is critically injured they will most likely die if you do nothing. And they may die quicker if you do the wrong thing.

My advice is clear keep tucked next to your CHL ( concealed hand gun license ) should be your First Aid CPR card don't have one, get one.
You are in my opinion worthless is you can only pull a trigger and can do nothing if someone else point at you and pulls theirs. I am sure some are trained and even paramedics etc, however even most cops and civilians do not know how to do CPR and first aid properly in many cases its a class people are required for their employment and is the only reason the take it.
I invite all CHL holder to have CPR and First Aid training regularly and if not do it now.
YOU can not put yourself in a defensive situation if you have no back up plan if you or someone is injured.
If I had time I would write more on proper personal safety plans of what to have in your BOB. It is very surprising how many people do not include items to care for even the simplest injuries in their BOB, and leave out some very critical items for more serious ones. :s0155:

The American Heart association and the American Redcross both teach classes. The major cities in Oregon like Portland, Salem, Eugene etc have main offices depending on the city there are usually local classes.
The Redcross is a good access, however many community colleges have these classes, there are even survival first aid classes at some schools. The RedCross contact and location information is here Oregon Red Cross
Click where it says training and enter your zip code should give local training.
However the Redcross is a, source not the only source. Each city may offer classes or know of resources. Try the Fire Departments, County Health, Even the boyscouts all should know about resources if none are in your town.
As mentioned, reality is in an emergency situation having a gun is great, but being able to care for others in your party make you a valuable asset to any family or group.
College courses are more in-depth and usually span over a day or two.

Hey everyone, outside of being a CHL holder and gun enthusiast I am also a Instructor for the American Redcross as well as contagious disease training instrutor. I think everything I have read so far would make sense
but to be best prepared for a defensive situation one must understand in a situation what if your family not you is harmed what would you do ? LOL and you can not call 911, Funny enough I find many, many people that know how to field down a AK47 but do not know how to Field dress a wound or stop bleeding. Almost always they are wrong in what they were taught. In my classes I have seen big burly guys and small women and everyone in between know nothing about emergency and the injured. If you or your family or friend is critically injured they will most likely die if you do nothing. And they may die quicker if you do the wrong thing.

My advice is clear keep tucked next to your CHL ( concealed hand gun license ) should be your First Aid CPR card don't have one, get one.
You are in my opinion worthless is you can only pull a trigger and can do nothing if someone else point at you and pulls theirs. I am sure some are trained and even paramedics etc, however even most cops and civilians do not know how to do CPR and first aid properly in many cases its a class people are required for their employment and is the only reason the take it.
I invite all CHL holder to have CPR and First Aid training regularly and if not do it now.
YOU can not put yourself in a defensive situation if you have no back up plan if you or someone is injured.
If I had time I would write more on proper personal safety plans of what to have in your BOB. It is very surprising how many people do not include items to care for even the simplest injuries in their BOB, and leave out some very critical items for more serious ones. :s0155:

unfortunately if the person dies while you are performing cpr a lawsuit could be forthcoming if that person dies

unfortunately if the person dies while you are performing cpr a lawsuit could be forthcoming if that person dies

This is not true and why many people do not take CPR is they think they can get sued.
You are protect by the Good Samaritan Law, being trained actually protects you. If you are not trained and help then yes you could get sued or there is a better chance to if untrained.
It is the number one myth I hear in classes is I do not want to get sued.
There is no successful case in the USA where a CPR/First Aid trained person lost in a law suit.
I can explain more, but this is myth that you will lose your house and be sued.

Before I first ever took CPR & First Aid, I though the same thing that I would get sued but I was wrong !

A good samaritan in legal terms refers to someone who renders aid in an emergency to an injured person on a voluntary basis. Usually, if a volunteer comes to the aid of an injured or ill person who is a stranger, the person giving the aid owes the stranger a duty of being reasonably careful. A person is not obligated by law to do first aid in most states, not unless it's part of a job description. However, some states will consider it an act of negligence though, if a person doesn't at least call for help. Generally, where an unconscious victim cannot respond, a good samaritan can help them on the grounds of implied consent. However, if the victim is conscious and can respond, a person should ask their permission to help them first.

This is not true and why many people do not take CPR is they think they can get sued.
You are protect by the Good Samaritan Law, being trained actually protects you. If you are not trained and help then yes you could get sued or there is a better chance to if untrained.
It is the number one myth I hear in classes is I do not want to get sued.
There is no successful case in the USA where a CPR/First Aid trained person lost in a law suit.
I can explain more, but this is myth that you will lose your house and be sued.

Before I first ever took CPR & First Aid, I though the same thing that I would get sued but I was wrong !

A good samaritan in legal terms refers to someone who renders aid in an emergency to an injured person on a voluntary basis. Usually, if a volunteer comes to the aid of an injured or ill person who is a stranger, the person giving the aid owes the stranger a duty of being reasonably careful. A person is not obligated by law to do first aid in most states, not unless it's part of a job description. However, some states will consider it an act of negligence though, if a person doesn't at least call for help. Generally, where an unconscious victim cannot respond, a good samaritan can help them on the grounds of implied consent. However, if the victim is conscious and can respond, a person should ask their permission to help them first.

you don't have to lose a lawsuit to lose $ defending yourself. just like in a shooting it may be justifiable but it will cost you to prove it

Again that is not true, a person is not protected by any law for justify shooting. There is no written law that says you can shoot a person with good cause. The protection in that case is done by the court and determined by the investigators. The law protects a person who helps others and is clear. I hate to sound harsh but there is no facts to make a claim you will get sued. Not "ONE" case exist. I really wish people would not make false claims like this. I can see how one will assume it is possible and that is why the Good Samaritan Law exist.
You are far less protected by the CHL then you are by the Good Samaritan Law yet people carry as do I.

It actually kind of disturbing:confused: more people would rather shoot a person then help one bleeding ???

Sorry did not mean to hijack the thread, its a pretty simple concept, people help people and being trained in a crisis may save lives maybe some one may save yours is the idea???
So I did not want to Hijack this thread anyone wanting more information on CPR and the written laws on doing CPR etc, can PM if you want, I am new here and do not want to hijack this informational post. I am going to let this part of the topic die off so I o not beat the dead horse trying to explain it over and over :s0114:

ShootFirst you are spot on so don't apologize for a thread hi-jack. Immediate action medical is indeed directly linked to "everyday defensive and situational awareness". Bottom line if, you carry something that makes holes you should have some knowledge of how to plug those holes. You are far more likely to save a life with a trauma kit than take one with a CC piece. Carrying such a kit backed with know-how to use it is sound advice indeed.

I look at it like this, 911 was established to bring police, fire and medical to those in need. I am a firm believer in an extreme emergency I should be able to survive without those 3 organizations for a minimum of 60 minutes. People that live off the beaten path know and except this. To that end, I own multiple firearms, multiple fire extinguishers/alarms and multiple trauma kit backed with training/knowledge to properly use them.

Good call ShootFirst. BTW he is correct regarding the Good Samaritan Law, at least here in Oregon (probably not all un-free states are equal here).

if I make a hole I'm not going to try and save the one I put the hole in otherwise I wouldn't have made the hole in the first place

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top