JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are brainwashed. If a sperm can get thru a condom then the AIDs virus can, also. Latex is not a force shield

LOL wow, sorry you can not have conversation without name calling can you? And you think that would convince me of your intelligence by acting like we are in a school yard ?
I think I am done responding to your silliness, you have provided no facts to your statement. And when I offer to provide information you sink to name calling.
To each his own you believe what you want and I will stand by the facts.
Hmmm that's exactly what every Democrat does around here I know acts like you did and provide no facts and just yells and insults people.

If you could stay on topic instead of name calling perhaps this would provide some help to visitors !
This topic was to provide information and I did and it my opinion! Free Speech !

AIDS is a condition caused by the HIV virus... AIDS is not a virus.

FWIW, the HIV virus is significantly smaller than the microscopic pores in a latex condom... the virus itself is more than capable of passing through a condom based on that, but I'm pretty sure the virus doens't just float around in fluid all by itself- I think it needs to ride a carrier cell into a new host- IE, blood cells, sperms, etc..

All this stuff is googleable... I'm just going off the top of my head from 7th grade Health class.

I stopped reading after the first couple pages, so I have no idea how HIV/AIDS got brought into this conversation...

But as to the OP-

In the 10+ years I've been packing guns, I've gone through several phases.. Everything from stare-daggers-at-every-mufapper-that-crosses-me to various color alertness levels to meh,-this-country-is-phenomenally-safe,-I'm-gonna-stop-worrying-about-it.

I'm currently existing in meh,-this-country-is-phenomenally-safe,-I'm-gonna-stop-worrying-about-it.

Fact of the matter is, you can't be on your toes all the time, and I feel like calling BS every time I see someone post or hear someone say that they're always in a state of readiness and vigilant awareness of their surroundings. Really? So you go day-in-day-out without your alarm EVER going off (because 99.9999% of us never, ever, ever, ever encounter situations that warrant anything beyond a casual, sleepy glance, here in middle-class America) and still manage to stay sharp and focused on all that goes on around you? The US military would love to study you- because they have a hell of a time getting soldiers in combat zones that alert.

Carry your gun, have some sub-conscious awareness that it is theoretically possible that someone, somewhere, might need to bust some caps someday, and therefor you might actually hit the self-defense lottery and have to bust caps, but please... please... please... don't walk around always on alert, looking at everyone, "having a plan to kill everyone you meet," or any of that other painfully embarrassing-to-hear policy for living life here in the safest place on Earth, during the safest time in history to live.

LOL wow, sorry you can not have conversation without name calling can you? And you think that would convince me of your intelligence by acting like we are in a school yard ?
I think I am done responding to your silliness, you have provided no facts to your statement. And when I offer to provide information you sink to name calling.
Hmmm that's exactly what every Democrat does around here I know acts like you did and provide no facts and just yells and insults people.

If you could stay on topic instead of name calling perhaps this would provide some help to visitors !
This topic was to provide information and I did and it my opinion! Free Speech !

So a latex rubber is like a Star Trek force field? Can we please get real? It's RUBBER and has lots of imperfections. It was not name calling, truly, just reality

Yes. Much of what we are taught is false, my friend

Here's what I found.

CDC - Condom Effectiveness - Male Latex Condoms and Sexually Transmitted Diseases

medical science - Do condoms have large enough holes for HIV to pass through? - Skeptics

The parts about the effectiveness of latex gloves are interesting.

If anyone is worried about it, abstinence is still the best protection for these types of infections. Same goes for putting yourself at risk of coming in contact with other people's bodily fluids in an emergency. But you're less likely to contract HIV from mere hand contact. Especially if you have access to gloves. In the end, everyone's free to make their own choices based on what they're comfortable with.

Having some basic medical knowledge and knowing what to do in an emergency to help yourself and loved ones is still a good idea imo.

I didn't call you names, I stated what your condition is. I've met many people like you who parrot the official mantra without thinking if it's true or not. Why do surgeons double up latex gloves if they are so reliable?

The 19 year old daughter of a school mate of my fiancee was just abducted in Philadelphia a couple days ago. The abductor drove around with her in the car for hours, alternately beating and threatening to kill her.

He abducted her from a bus stop in public. She has been returned with minor injuries but safe, and he was apprehended.

Anybody who has the idea that it can't happen to you or someone you love, is walking around with blinders on. Throughout most of history, there wasn't much safety. We do live in just about the safest nation in the safets period of history. That doesn't mean that YOU are safe all the time.

Our friends were LUCKY to have their daughter returned. It's foolish to depend on luck. We're encouraging the whole family to get some counseling, but to also get some training in self-defense, firearms, and awareness like the NRA Refuse to Be A Victim course.

I thought I would post some First Aid facts to help those concerned and those would like to know.
It is a good idea to learn first aid and CPR, but you may want some fact to help you decide on whether a class is for you

Are gloves safe to use?:

The U.S. Public Health Service says that condoms are manufactured to higher standards than gloves. Condoms are dipped in the latex twice, gloves only once. If just 4 out of 1,000 condoms fail the leak test, the whole batch is rejected; the standard for gloves is 40 out of 1,000. A study of latex condoms by the National Institutes of Health using an electron microscope found no holes at a magnification of 2000.

Appropriate Applications of Latex Gloves
Natural Rubber Latex (NRL) gloves offer the best barrier protection--by far--for moderate- to high-risk instances when exposure to blood or body fluids is a concern. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) standard precautions, issued in 1987, and the rise of HIV infections, have increased the use of NRL gloves in medical practice.

Hazards Associated with Latex Gloves
NRL gloves should not be used, however, when working with solvent cleaners or oil-based substances because such chemicals can degrade and penetrate rubber.

The use of powdered latex gloves has been implicated in many cases of latex allergy in patients and caregivers. During surgery, the powder can become attracted to plastic materials used in some procedures, leading to adhesion and other problems. The powder can also absorb bacteria that cause infections.

How Nitrile Gloves Compare to Latex Gloves

Nitrile is a popular type of disposable glove that offers protection from cleaning and oil-based chemicals as well as blood and body fluids. The risk of allergy is not eliminated, however, because nitrile is manufactured by the use of rubber processing chemicals that can cause severe skin rashes. Fortunately, such rashes are not life threatening. Recently, manufacturers have made progress in the development of nitrile without using harmful chemical accelerators, so look for new allergy-free products.

How Vinyl Gloves Compare to Latex and Nitrile Gloves
Vinyl gloves are not as stretchy and flexible as NRL or nitrile gloves, so they are not suitable to tasks that require great dexterity. Also, they break down easily and offer poor protection against blood-borne pathogens. Although they do not contain rubber proteins or accelerators, studies have shown repeated failure of vinyl after only a short time of use. Vinyl offers little or no protection against HIV exposure.

Summary

The choice of disposable gloves depends on the task and need for protection, as well as the individual needs of workers. The risk of exposure to blood-borne pathogens must be weighed against the risk of serious allergic reactions. The use of powder in disposable gloves is fast becoming obsolete, and new developments in synthetic materials offer hope that ideal disposable gloves for all applications will soon be available.

I am not a doctor but a CPR/First for the RedCross and HIV/HEP BBP Counselor through DHS.
I am not saying anyone is 100%, misusing gloves or contaminated gloves will effect its effectiveness.
As I had said in a much earlier post. Take classes and learn if not for others then do it to help your own family.

Hepititus A
Hepatitis A is a liver condition that is caused by HAV (hepatitis A virus). The virus is known to be transmitted through sexual activity, feces or contaminated food sources. Hepatitis A is an acute illness, which means that it begins abruptly and lasts for only a short time. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) hepatitis A usually lasts for several weeks before it finally resolves itself. Flu-like symptoms usually appear shortly after becoming infected with hepatitis A, followed by nausea, loss of appetite, itching, stomach pain and yellowing of the skin (jaundice). It is important to note that once a person acquires the hepatitis A virus, lifelong immunities develop that prevent the infection from occurring again.

Hepatitis B is a liver disorder that is caused by the HBV (hepatitis B virus) virus. The seriousness of the disease varies, and chronic cases can eventually lead to severe liver disease or liver cancer. The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC) explains that anyone can acquire hepatitis B, especially those who are born to a mother who has hepatitis B, intravenous drug users, and anyone who lives with someone who has hepatitis B or lives in an area that has a high concentration of infected individuals. The hepatitis B virus is spread through the bodily fluids of someone who is infected and can create an array of symptoms, including jaundice, bleeding problems, easy bruising, fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite, light stools and dark urine.

Hepatitis C
Hepatitis C (HCV) is the most serious of the three liver disorders and is usually transmitted through infected blood, but can also be sexually transmitted.

Vaccinations are available for hepatitis A and hepatitis B, but there is no vaccination to guard against hepatitis C.

HIV facts
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is a type of virus called a retrovirus, which infects humans when it comes in contact with tissues such as those that line the vagina, anal area, mouth, or eyes, or through a break in the skin.

These are some short facts hope it helps others under stand the risks as well as proper precautions obviously for a forum one can not write a book however the information is provided please do your own research as well.

I have wireless sensors at both entrances to our home along with motion sensor lights

I know long before someone rings the door bell they're coming.

Save's me from having to answer questions too!

Them: Have you found Jesus?

Me: I didn't know he was missing?

Now I can just hide they eventually give up & go away ;)

I stopped reading after the first couple pages, so I have no idea how HIV/AIDS got brought into this conversation...

But as to the OP-

In the 10+ years I've been packing guns, I've gone through several phases.. Everything from stare-daggers-at-every-mufapper-that-crosses-me to various color alertness levels to meh,-this-country-is-phenomenally-safe,-I'm-gonna-stop-worrying-about-it.

I'm currently existing in meh,-this-country-is-phenomenally-safe,-I'm-gonna-stop-worrying-about-it.

Fact of the matter is, you can't be on your toes all the time, and I feel like calling BS every time I see someone post or hear someone say that they're always in a state of readiness and vigilant awareness of their surroundings. Really? So you go day-in-day-out without your alarm EVER going off (because 99.9999% of us never, ever, ever, ever encounter situations that warrant anything beyond a casual, sleepy glance, here in middle-class America) and still manage to stay sharp and focused on all that goes on around you? The US military would love to study you- because they have a hell of a time getting soldiers in combat zones that alert.

Carry your gun, have some sub-conscious awareness that it is theoretically possible that someone, somewhere, might need to bust some caps someday, and therefor you might actually hit the self-defense lottery and have to bust caps, but please... please... please... don't walk around always on alert, looking at everyone, "having a plan to kill everyone you meet," or any of that other painfully embarrassing-to-hear policy for living life here in the safest place on Earth, during the safest time in history to live.

Ok...I am the one who started this thread. It took some interesting turns, for sure. My point was that I wanted to get people thinking about defensve situational awareness and to realize that your CCW is only ONE option, which may or may not be available or effective. To Ben, quoted above, my "Have a smile for everyone and a plan to kill them" quote was METAPHORICAL. I do not live this way. I was trying to be humorous.

Thanks to all who contributed. In light of the recent Clackamas mall shooting spree... that makes two times in one year for me that there was a shooting in a place I frequent, and had been in within days of the event. One common element in most resposes is that IF YOU ARE AWARE of a situation that doesn't look or feel right, you can AVOID it without ENGAGING. I completely agree with this and urge you all to STAY AWARE of your surroundings. I carry, but, if anything, this has made me aware that using a firearm is the absolute LAST resort, thereb making me think more defensively and creatively so as to AVOID dependence on the sidearm.

Thank you all for playing. Merry Christmas; and may you and your family enjoy the blessings of good health and prosperity.

I see we have bunny rabits who have never seen the elephant.. I dare them to walk the mean streets of Miami, much of Cali, Detroit, South Chicago, Tucson, etc. If they come back alive they will have a new attitude

Quote Originally Posted by ShootFirst View Post
4. Paranoia is your worst enemy, and is one of the best combat tools is illusion your enemy loves you to be paranoid one of the world best tactic.
Please explain.
Please explain.

Hi there didn't see the question earlier.
Regardless of whether it is a local store or world government or the guy that drives by your house and checks out your nice car in the drive way if one can persuade you out of your comfort zone and get in your head they win.

Example: Paranoia is the 12/21 there is no proof anywhere that the world will really end on 12/21, yet Networks sell tv shows, we buy over sees products ammo company's are becoming billionaires and this economy is in the toilet why the public are buying ammo and making BOBs and building BOL's and spending money we do not have as a nation on preparation for something that will not occur. People hear hurricane and many stay in their homes, people hear a Mian calendar saying end of the world and we line up to buy what they are selling. People are getting rich and winning elections on our paranoia .

Illusion is what is one of the best tools we have let me ask you what color do we wear to look like we are bad asses.
We wear black and gloves and maybe a cool cammo hat maybe open carry and have a gun rack in our pickup. None of that makes the person but gives the illusion one may think twice about encountering that person.

Lets use this in the opposite also for your enemy, girl in her 20's slim wearing shorts on a hot day hitch hiking along the highway. She has only large bag or two and you feel like stopping. She asks you to help her with her heavy bag and being the manly guy you are you get out and help her. At that moment two guys enter from across the road and at gun point they take your car and your wallet. You are not going to try and out shoot out two people coming in behind you and there we have weakness and strength both used as illusions.

Enemy thinks you are strong you can use it against them, enemy thinks your week you can use it against them.
And paranoia and fear planted will direct you better then any gun could ever do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top