JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was interested in the idea of having a pair of glasses made with the reader up top. I tried to look at the site he recommended and gave up though. Filled the page with pop ups that after I managed to kill I could not find were they actually made prescription lenses. One of the worst jobs of making a website I have ever seen. I will see about getting a pair made with the reader on top to try though. Sounded like an interesting idea.

1685807778832.png

Aloha, Mark

PS........
1685807988643.png
1685807885583.png
BTW, (speaking of getting old)......did you see the news lately?
With money (and/or with the help of medical technology).....a lot.....is still possible.

Last Edited:
I grew up on In the Gravest Extreme and thought it sounded fine. Now listening to Mas, he sounds like a military officer lecturing a first grader. Sounded a lot like my dad, actually. Oh, wait. My dad was a military officer, and I was a first grader.

After I got to adult womanhood and experienced a number of SD situations as a civilian plus contemplated many more I see the same biases and limitations now in Mas's instruction as when I was in my 20s.

Mas basically always assumes you're a LE and on your feet, even though he thinks he is writing for civilians. Consider just the issue of glasses. The biggest issue if you need vision correction is that you actually own a pair of eyeglasses, not just contacts. And you always keep them right next to your gun when asleep. One night when I was 22 and sleeping in my room in a boarding house in MA, I heard a woman's scream suddenly cut off. The scream came from the parking lot behind the building. I had only contacts. I was slowed down in responding by needing to put on contacts. I was very near sighted even then, and would have been useless without vision correction. Fortunately I got there in time anyway and was able to chase off the bad guy and save the woman. But since then I always keep a pair of eye glasses next to my edc at night.

I wear a cord on my glasses that keeps them on my face if I get punched (other than in the glasses) or knocked down in a struggle. Or trip and fall down for any reason. Fact is, if a just tripped and fell in the woods and my glasses spun away, I might not be able to find them.

One thing I think everyone should think about is how to respond if there is a home invader whom you don't see until he's at the bedroom door. Say at about ten to twenty feet depending on room and arrangement of bed. I wouldn't need the sights for a chest shot. But since the bullets aren't going to change the trajectory of the charging person, so I would be unable to see if they were hitting. And since they aren't necessarily instantly incapacitating, I would need to empty my revolver. That would leave nothing to deal with a second or third home invader. With corrected vision and sights I can use at night, I would instead aim the first shot at the brain, and second and third at the chest. By which time I should be able to see the motion of the head whether I hit it. And have some rounds left for additional invaders.

If you do as Mas's suggestion and put the reading correction of bifocals on top in bifocals, I can see that this would make the glasses better for shooting from a freestanding crouched position by putting front sight in the near lens. But if I'm lying in bed with my head toward the door aiming up at the head of an attacker, having the reading correction in the conventional position on the bottom would be better. If I heard someone breaking in at the front door I would put on glasses and grab edc and go to bedroom door. The hall to the left leads to the alcove with the front door, about 22' away. Bedroom door opens inward and to the left and is kept open. I would stand up straight behind the door frame on my left, poke my right eye and hand/shoulder with the gun into the hall, and wait for bad guy to appear in the hall. Since I have Crimson Trace laser on my edc, I would not need to line up gun with my line of sight. If I were using the upside down bifocals Mas suggests, I would need to expose more of my body. And the near-vision part of the bifocals would not be in the correct position to engage the front sight. Yes, its easy to hit the chest of a bad guy standing still at 22' without using sights. But not necessarily the brain of a moving bad guy. And that's necessary for instant incapacitation.

Is Mas suggesting a separate pair of bificals for shooting vs all other ordinary uses? If so that's fine for planned shooting sessions. But useless in most SD situations because you would be wearing your ordinary glasses or contacts, not your special shooting bifocals.

Mas also fails to address the issue of being attacked with no time to both put on glasses and grab gun such as if attacked by a home invader while you are in bed. I use mono focal glasses in my distance setting outdoors or as my shooting glasses, and as the glasses I keep next to my edc at night. I read either with reading glasses or without glasses. Without my glasses, I can't see even the end of the barrel let alone the front sight on my edc. Nor would I be able to see a red dot on a pistol with arms extended. However, without my glasses the laser dot that is normally less than an inch across at 12' expands to a huge speckled dot about a foot across. Very easy to see. And to see through.

The reverse bifocal/progressive idea has been around for quite a while. Decot in Arizona has done this for years and I just let my eye doc know about them as she has been getting requests from shooters. The other thing that works great (especially if you are cross dominant like me) at the range but less so for some in everyday life is to have one lens (my left, handgun eye) focus on the front sight and the other (right, rifle and shotgun eye) focus at distance. Some folks have contacts and glasses this way from what I understand but only range glasses for me. I can wear them all day just fine. Works great...until you pick up a dot then regular Rx work fine. I have an order in with them now for new trap shooting lenses and regular Rx sunglasses.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top