JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will not help a bleeding stranger aside from handing others the medical kit I always keep in my vehicle. Have you folks not heard of AIDs and other incurable diseases?

A few tips for self defense

It's better to have the gun already in your hand when trouble starts

If you are wearing gloves because of cold weather, take them off as soon as a possible threat materializes

If you sense possible danger ahead, turn back and walk away but keep an eye on the possible threat

Never be in condition white, bunny rabbit status.. always be at least in condition yellow, aware and scanning for threats

Take some real world unarmed and non firearms weapons self defense training. I recommend Arnis/Kali, Savate, Hapkido and if you're able, JKD

Confidence thusly gained will tend to ward off all but the crazies

Ignore verbal attempts to get you involved in a conversation with street punks and bums

If you are near your car and a threat looks near, get everyone into the vehicle and lock the doors and leave, immediately

I could go on but that's a few good points

I see that the common morality is lost in this topic, picking up your gun OR a person picking up a gun and shooting you is not a video game. You do not get extra lives nor do your family. It is very disturbing the cold and callus points being made in my opinion. I am also shocked by the paranoid responses. Fact is you have a better chance of catching Hepatitis A,B,C, then Aids in fact many people have Hep and do not even know.

People that have said they will not help others hmmmm, well what if you are shot and your wife and kids are the others?
Should we just push them in a ditch and move on? As said not a video game and unless you have watched a person killed in front of you like I have you have no idea how powerless you feel knowing you can not save that life.
I also would hate to have anti-gun people read this stuff it makes us look like gun token yahoos who do not care about human lives. When the so called sh*t hits the fan that is when people acting human will be all we have, not the mentality of people who riot after basketball and soccer games. Anyone can take a life, it take more courage to save one. Just my two cents. And I am a gun rights advocate and carry everyday and been shooting all my life, but human life is more important to protect then take.
And I will do it only when there is no other option, not just because it is the easy way out. I have wife and kids too and will do all I can to help them or others that may suffer but not carelessly either.

PS... I am not trying to be a hard *** about this but this is some serious stuff we should not take lightly.

.....Anyone can take a life, it take more courage to save one. Just my two cents. And I am a gun rights advocate and carry everyday and been shooting all my life, but human life is more important to protect then take. And I will do it only when there is no other option, not just because it is the easy way out. I have wife and kids too and will do all I can to help them or others that may suffer but not carelessly either........

Yup. Well spoken. I'd want you for my next door neighbor or for a son in law.

Best to all.

I see that the common morality is lost in this topic, picking up your gun OR a person picking up a gun and shooting you is not a video game. You do not get extra lives nor do your family. It is very disturbing the cold and callus points being made in my opinion. I am also shocked by the paranoid responses. Fact is you have a better chance of catching Hepatitis A,B,C, then Aids in fact many people have Hep and do not even know.

People that have said they will not help others hmmmm, well what if you are shot and your wife and kids are the others?
Should we just push them in a ditch and move on? As said not a video game and unless you have watched a person killed in front of you like I have you have no idea how powerless you feel knowing you can not save that life.
I also would hate to have anti-gun people read this stuff it makes us look like gun token yahoos who do not care about human lives. When the so called sh*t hits the fan that is when people acting human will be all we have, not the mentality of people who riot after basketball and soccer games. Anyone can take a life, it take more courage to save one. Just my two cents. And I am a gun rights advocate and carry everyday and been shooting all my life, but human life is more important to protect then take.
And I will do it only when there is no other option, not just because it is the easy way out. I have wife and kids too and will do all I can to help them or others that may suffer but not carelessly either.

PS... I am not trying to be a hard *** about this but this is some serious stuff we should not take lightly.

You seem clueless that AIDs can easily penetrate a latex glove

My advice is clear, keep tucked next to your CHL (concealed hand gun license) should be your First Aid CPR card. Don't have one, get one. I invite all CHL holder to have CPR and First Aid training regularly and if not do it now. YOU can not put yourself in a defensive situation if you have no back up plan if you or someone is injured.

I agree. It's good knowledge to have. I've been meaning to get certified for a while. Thanks for the reminder. :s0155:

Swede is usally good but this has some bad suggestions such as:

"Carry keys with one poking out between the fingers for a quick response punch as many self defense courses suggest." Ineffective and improper gripping and small (face) target areas make this the less likely to suceed, I have been testing it for several weeks.

" Make sure your mag is properly seated every time you put it on " I drop my mag check the load, reload and press check my weapon every time I put it on. I don't assume it is loaded

I think just about everything I'm thinking of has already been said.
But mainly:
-Eyes and ears (self explanatory)
-Now that I replaced my knife that I lost...I always have that. My new one have a seat belt cutter built in. (benchmade 915 triage)
-I'll sound lazy here...but....When I'm wearing jeans and is convenient, I carry. Can't have it on premises at work (dumb, but I'll follow their rules because they pay me). Couple other reasons, but this is getting long winded for my liking.
-Not to sound ignorant here, but I'm decently sized (6' 200lb) Fairly broad build and pretty much always straight faced. I've found I just don't really get harassed when I'm out and about.
-I'm good at talking which helps when somebody is trying to cause problems. Never really had to put my hands on anyone.

Basically, it's all about being aware of my surroundings, which this thread has summed up well.

I'm not too paranoid yet:s0131: (not that it's always a bad thing)

But mainly:
-Now that I replaced my knife that I lost...I always have that. My new one have a seat belt cutter built in. (benchmade 915 triage)
-I'll sound lazy here...but....When I'm wearing jeans and is convenient, I carry. Can't have it on premises at work (dumb, but I'll follow their rules because they pay me). Couple other reasons, but this is getting long winded for my liking.
-Not to sound ignorant here, but I'm decently sized (6' 200lb) Fairly broad build and pretty much always straight faced. I've found I just don't really get harassed when I'm out and about.
-I'm good at talking which helps when somebody is trying to cause problems. Never really had to put my hands on anyone.

Basically, it's all about being aware of my surroundings, which this thread has summed up well.

You can always get a new Job can you say that about another life and if it's concealed

But mainly:

This is kinda my approach to carrying.Only I wish I was just 200#s.
And as far as work goes,everyone needs to decide what the risk is at their place of work. Some times fools will try to rob a gun shop with cop cars,so.
But if it's a bad area,dark parking,etc.,what is more important? You having a job that risks your safety or surviving another day to feed the family?
Kinda like I would tell the young guys at work.If the boss tells you to do something unsafe and you get hurt,you may not be able to go get another job. If you got fired for not doing the risky thing,you can still get another job.
*I know all the legal eagle stuff involved,not what the thread is about*

So each of us has to determine if not sneaking in your CCW at work is more risk than getting fired.

Very good and well thought out tips here.

I have avoided being in fights, robbed, victimized, shot or stabbed, etc in my life by doing the 'ol exit stage left. There have been many times where my ego has kicked in, regret/worry that I was a coward for ignoring some asshat who has wanted to challenge me and I've known in most cases I could easily dispatch the person.

Not riding in a police car or having physical damage soon heals those insecure feelings however.

When I have to be a hero I will be, not just 99% of the time when the gain is nonexistent or small, but the penalties are great.

There is also the old saying that No Good Deed Goes Unpunished and the longer I live the more I believe that to be absolutely correct.

A direct full-on attacker trying to take my life will meet with a vicious defense and counter defensive assault with everything I can muster and a 230g bullet. Just about everything else gets the 'EXIT STAGE LEFT."

View attachment 47900

IF you can it's always best to leave. Try being the sole defender of young girls under mass rape pack attack by freaks. It alters the situation quite a bit

This is kinda my approach to carrying.Only I wish I was just 200#s.
And as far as work goes,everyone needs to decide what the risk is at their place of work. Some times fools will try to rob a gun shop with cop cars,so.
But if it's a bad area,dark parking,etc.,what is more important? You having a job that risks your safety or surviving another day to feed the family?
Kinda like I would tell the young guys at work.If the boss tells you to do something unsafe and you get hurt,you may not be able to go get another job. If you got fired for not doing the risky thing,you can still get another job.
*I know all the legal eagle stuff involved,not what the thread is about*

So each of us has to determine if not sneaking in your CCW at work is more risk than getting fired.

I always carried at work and still do as a self employed guy. My life is worth more than any lousy job

It was the first time anything like that had ever happened to me and I hadn't thought about how I was going to react until it happened (and after). At the time I just knew I was terrified, knew I needed to be away from him, and finally acted..... But there was a part of me that was thinking, "What am I allowed to do in this situation?". It's awful I know, but like a lot of people (especially women), I've been conditioned for years to fear being punished or out of line for doing what's right, or what needs to be done... so I hesitated for a moment. :( I'm just glad the situation turned out well for me.

I have a small library of anecdotes like this for use in NRA Refuse To Be A Vicitm Seminars. I hope you don't mind if I use yours.

Blitzkrieg
You seem clueless that AIDs can easily penetrate a latex glove

Not clueless actually I am a paid and professionally trained, and your statement
is untrue yet again you can not just pick up facts out of tree.
And we see why people are paranoid from misinformation.

Tell you what if you want I will be happy to send you via email documents and facts as you have a very narrow view of contagions.
Not being rude even though I know you are trying to be, don't need to call people stupid just because you do not know the facts.
But be happy to show you facts on this. No sarcasm intended but this is kinda scary so many people are way off base.

Ask your self is the American Heart association and the Redcross wrong? or are you misinformed ?

Simple tips.

1. No your limits, there is one yahoo in every group who thinks they can kick everyone butt and defend the world.
All a person need is access to your brain stem or an object 6 inches long to pierce the heart and it is over.

2. Train train and train somemore, walk your self through situations and with your family be clear.

3. If you have loved ones who do not live with you have several plans to contact each other if possible.

4. Paranoia is your worst enemy, and is one of the best combat tools is illusion your enemy loves to you paranoid one of the world best tactic.

5. Have quite weapons, you start opening up your rifle to kill a deer and now everyone knows there is human activity in the area you are at.

Not clueless actually I am a paid and professionally trained, and your statement
is untrue yet again you can not just pick up facts out of tree.
And we see why people are paranoid from misinformation.

Tell you what if you want I will be happy to send you via email documents and facts as you have a very narrow view of contagions.
Not being rude even though I know you are trying to be, don't need to call people stupid just because you do not know the facts.
But be happy to show you facts on this. No sarcasm intended but this is kinda scary so many people are way off base.

Ask your self is the American Heart association and the Redcross wrong? or are you misinformed ?

You are brainwashed. If a sperm can get thru a condom then the AIDs virus can, also. Latex is not a force shield

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top