JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assuming we aren't forced into public transportation or bicycles by then. It's a coming.

This is the ultimate goal I'm afraid. Make it a costly and bothersome process to have a vehicle including electronic tracking and the other things that scrutinize and record every minor driving infraction. Just like Europe, we will become a nation ever more reliant on public transport. The owning of a car will be a luxury reserved for the wealthy. Some middle class car owners will exist but cost will limit it to one car per family driven sparingly. Don't forget the fuel taxes will be increased dramatically to pay for the expanded bus and train service.

Massachusetts has annual car inspections that not only cover emissions but also some safety stuff. Going back as far as early 1980s they checked your horn, wipers, all the lights, including that the beams were aimed correctly, windshield (no cracks), tire wear, parking/emergency brake and ball joints. Unlike Washington state, there was no waivers if you spent a certain amount and it did not fix the problem.
Is there a way around all that? Sure, the inspections are done by private facilities - regular auto shops, so if you know someone or bribe someone it can be done.

Unlike what in WA? I have NEVER had a vehicle inspected.

I did have to take a semi home built trailer to the WSP with a weight one time so they could "tag" it.

Yes, OnStar has this capability, including almost full remote takeover of the vehicle (where implemented I guess...). Got this from someone who worked on the OnStar system development team years ago.

Yep, Ability to remotely shut a car down has been around over a decade. (In the US that is). I know Onstar can and it wouldn't surprise me it was a mandatory "safety feature" required by the gubbermint for all new(er) cars in the country.

Unless it is embedded within the ECU or you can otherwise not find/remove it without rendering the car undriveable.

Actually within the ECU would probably be better. I know a few 16/17 year olds that could hack one of these if properly motivated and make it appear that it was still intact.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews