JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Theoretically the platform is very dependable. Bolts and barrels can go 25,000+ rounds. Gas rings depends. Firing pins go a long time. You will lose more parts than you will wear out or break.

We received and rebuilt to like new beater M16 rifles used in Army basic training that had never been cleaned! Or even opened! Just more oil and oil and the bores wiped a few times at best.

Had to pound out the BCG from the uppers. Gas rings in pieces. Cam pins worn out. Buffers in pieces. Head space gone. The rifles still shot and some even printed quite well. Over 50,000 rounds.

Totally slugged up. The spare parts with the AR15 platform are so non expensive that it makes sense to keep the stuff that you will need. Be sure to include the firing pin during the reassembly!

Do not ask me how I know it is so easy to leave out the firing pin if you are rushed or not paying attention. Hundreds of AR15 Builds. Uncounted team work M16 rebuilds. Bondo and spray paint. :)

Hey... they sell those fire pins at the hardware store by the pound now!:s0155:
97A2FF70-A739-4570-9DCE-DCA6E7F905DB.jpeg
These should last a while:D

What parts would you recommend a person want to have in a range box or just a good idea to have an extra of just in case?

Mags and ammo are a given:p

Joe, I recently bought an Armalite AR10 (lets pretend its an ar15 for your question) and it came with a small goodie box of pins, firing pin, springs, mcfarland gas rings, extractor, and some parts to rebuild a bolt. I think that's a good start to what I'd want in a range bag for just incase something goes haywire. Generally if you do have problems, it's going to be with the bcg/bolt, extractor, firing pin. Basically what's inside the BCG. I guess it would be easier to just carry a spare BCG, but I sure do like this small kit I got with my Armalite. Those guys were on the ball when they put that together.

After a couple thousand rounds the bolt and barrel extension lugs take a liking to each other. Then at some ill determined mileage it would be best to marry a new bolt head to a new barrel extension. Both parts take a slight set and peening.

New bolt head. New barrel.

An easy cure and fix is to have a spare bolt head. Carrier not needed. Every 500 rounds or so just swap out the bolts. This evens the mileage on the barrel extension lugs. Kinda like having two girl friends. Yikes! Even wear. Even mileage. :)

This implies one watches the head space.

Last Edited:
After a couple thousand rounds the bolt and barrel extension lugs take a liking to each other. Than at some ill determined mileage it would be best to marry a new bolt head to a new barrel extension. Both parts take a slight set and peening.

An easy cure and fix is to have a spare bolt head. Carrier not needed. Every 500 rounds or so just swap out the bolts. This evens the mileage on the barrel extension lugs. Kinda like having two girl friends. Yikes! Even wear. Even mileage. :)

I've heard conflicting opinions with this... guys will say that if you run two uppers with the same lower.. (say a 20"bbl with a long range scope for distance, and a 16" basic open sight carbine for short..) that each upper should have its own Bolt because they wear together, and should have been matched together for proper head space... but then again these are the same guys trying to sell more parts.
I've had to run the same bolt in multiple ARs before, and had no issues whatsoever, but it was only a temporary thing.

Last Edited:
I've heard conflicting opinions with this... guys will say that if you run two uppers with the same lower.. (say a 20"bbl with a long range scope for distance, and a 16" basic open sight carbine for short..) that each upper should have its own Bolt because they wear together, and should have been matched together for proper head space... but then again these are the same guys trying to sell more parts.
I've had to run the same bolt in multiple ARs before, and had no issues whatsoever, bust it was only a temporary thing.
Well, that kills the "AR Modular Weapons System In A Briefcase" concept... can't play Musical Barrels with the same bolt and expect it to last long.

Well, that kills the "AR Modular Weapons System In A Briefcase" concept... can't play Musical Barrels with the same bolt and expect it to last long.
Like I said... conflicting opinions. I'm definitly not an expert. It's just what I've heard. I would assume however that if you were to use, say a bolt with rounded lugs like the SRC reliabolt it will wear your barrel extension much differently than if you ran a stock milspec bolt.
56C20D9D-7F65-4A28-B61F-E0A208BD7BB2.jpeg

I run the JP in my MK12... they schpeal that a normal bolt will last about 6,000 rds, and their special bolt is supposed to be good for "significantly more" due to being made of the same steel as F1 race car gears. IDK... I got a good deal on it so why not?
E7AE7E1B-C525-4DBF-B937-D50971151EC7.jpeg

The only thing I know for sure... if your bolt looks like this... it's time to replace it: 7C6268C7-DF79-473B-ADB2-2FE38F9A5C10.jpeg

Also understand or GROK it that a left handed bolt in a slightly modified for left hand use barrel extension, (barrel) will last forever and forever because the reverse thrust and movement of the bolt head unlocking in the wrong direction over time will add material and ultimate strength to the rifle. Kinda like getting nothing from something? Dunno. :) :)

This feature also pretty much describes Left Handed people in general.

Last Edited:
So I got a 18 inch barrel for a build and I was looking at it and realize it takes a rifle gas tube .
Ok no problems I go on line order two .
Then I'm looking through one of my drawers and guess what I find . yep two Rifle gas tubes with gas blocks .MMMMMMMM no wonder I have so much stuff idiot lol

So I got a 18 inch barrel for a build and I was looking at it and realize it takes a rifle gas tube .
Ok no problems I go on line order two .
Then I'm looking through one of my drawers and guess what I find . yep two Rifle gas tubes with gas blocks .MMMMMMMM no wonder I have so much stuff idiot lol
EPS is that you? Almost didn't recognize you with all that punctuation in your post...:D
Tellin ya.. $40 at Walmart and you'll be amazed at what you can squeeze in there. You know what you got, and it's portable for when you head off to a buddies to work on a build.

87C84812-A49E-4F23-A386-3D9BB4ECD151.jpeg 9324E319-6CB3-4D02-B830-D0DB048C23B0.jpeg

Lol do the same thing with fishing gear.
I go to the store buy a bunch of stuff then I get home and open the tackle box and see I already have 3 of what I just bought.LOL IDIOT

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top