JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
r_281-1.jpg

My AK repair kit.:p

What in the world is a spare "bolt head"?:confused:

I do have a complete Colt OEM bolt carrier group, a set of gas rings, the OEM crappy, gritty Colt trigger group (replaced by a Geissele SSA trigger) and the OEM sproingy buffer (replaced with a JP Precision captured buffer spring, what an excellent upgrade that was), an extractor spring and rubber spring insert, bolt cam, and several of those dang firing pin cotter pins which love to run off.

Seems like there's a spare extractor and extractor retaining pin in that bag, too. Maybe an ejector, it's been awhile. I've been spending more time with the Glocks lately.

Thinking about it... I've never had anything on my 6920 break, but ya never know when spare parts might become unavailable, do you? (aka D. Feinstein, Carolyn McCarthy and Bob Ferguson, et. al.)

Two is one, one is none. 8 is just being stupid. :D
Three is Glee... :D My eventual goal is, for each configuration I maintain as "combat coded," to have both a "beater trainer" to wear out and periodically repair or replace worn parts and its "combat ready" twin fired only like monthly or quarterly for a function check after finishing breakin and initial reliability trials.

Dammm buddy... lucky for you Anacortes is 200 miles away from here, otherwise I'd be knocking on your door to borrow parts on a regular basis:D
It sucks having to stop in the middle of a build cuz I need a disconnect or a stupid roll pin or a 16" barrel;) Especially on a Saturday evening when my local GS closed till Tuesday!

You'd be surprised what I can fit into my tARckle box. The plastic trays fit inside(when I can close them.
29A2E87A-AFE1-46CD-AC14-0DA057A5E97D.jpeg 8891B8BB-8B5F-4783-A7EC-4B7EE8E51B45.jpeg 217AB7F3-E065-4B80-8083-65059DD90BC5.jpeg
While taking stock I realized what a mess it was... but it's 3:30 in the morning. I can't sleep but Im not in any mood to reorganize hundreds of tiny springs, screws, pins, detents, etc. etc., so I'll do it tomorrow... then maybe I can fit everthing back into the box... but right now my living room looks like an armory.

Last Edited:
I been there I stay up till now on my days off to stay on my work schedule I just turned off the TV and going to bed like I would if I was at work I would be parking the truck now lol

Decent bic pen or 2. Handy to adjust front iron (easy peasy- done it a bunch).

If spring type pen, supposedly you can use the spring. Haven't had a need to. So have forgotten what it may or may not be able to replace/repair.

I "think" Palmetto State Armory had a deal a long while back on small parts kits/Springs/pins & such, so bought a few. Haven't had them organized up as some do on here, but hope to in the future. Have a tackle type divided box set aside just for small parts & such.

Good thread idear, thanks joe!

Last Edited:
Decent bic pen or 2. Handy to adjust front iron (easy peasy- done it a bunch).

If spring type pen, supposedly you can use the spring. Haven't had a need to. So have forgotten what it may or may not be able to replace/repair.

I "think" Palmetto State Armory had a deal a long while back on small parts kits/Springs/pins & such, so bought a few. Haven't had them organized up as some do on here, but hope to in the future. Have a tackle type divided box set aside just for small parts & such.

Good thread idear, thanks joe!
The plastic tackle box things are great I have a few of them there pretty cheap at Walmart and come in different sizes

I took a couple classes in AR builds.
Somehow such a project just never became a reality.

It took over 20 years to put 200 rounds thru a mini-14 before I totally lost interest in that & traded it off.

Must be some kind of genetic thing. I prefer single shot or level style; bolt rarely. A box full of spare parts is interesting as it represents a potential that the actual working AR somehow fails to provide.

Joe,
Regarding spare parts it depends on what you are planning on doing with your AR-15. If you are just going to shoot it and properly maintain it. NOT MUCH! few parts needed. If it is a good quality AR-15 from a reputable company. Probably possibly a set of Gas Rings in the distant future.
If you are planning on doing some work on it like stock removal in the future you should have some of the Take Down Pin Springs and Detents. They are the number most damaged and lost parts of the rifle.
If you are going to shoot thousands of rounds through it you might need an Extractor, Extractor Insert and Spring plus Gas Rings. If you are going to do some Armorer work for your buddies or builds you will need additional parts for the builds and repairs. But in reality if it is just your rifle for the range and shooting you really do not need much! A good rifle will give you thousands of rounds of reliable service without any issues. One of my Rock River Rifles has got at least 20,000+ rounds through it. I have replaced the Gas Rings 3 times and re-barreled it once since it was new. If you shoot an AR-15 that much, you need to have someone check the Throat Erosion on it in he future. If you change barrels or bolts you should have the Head Space checked before shooting it. Once the Head Space is Checked and is OK you never have to check it again unless you re-barrel it or change bolts. The reason is, the Throat Erosion dimension will be excessive and the Rifle will need to be re-barreled before the Head Space dimension ever changes.

Sniper 03

A box full of spare parts is interesting as it represents a potential that the actual working AR somehow fails to provide.

As with all things, the more parts there are the more places it can fail. Throw Murphy's law into it and it seems like your bound to need them at some point.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top