JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At 13:20 on the counter, this guy shoots a Holosun with a 12 gauge.
I was watching the video, they said something about withstanding blast of shotgun, but I thought they were talking about the recoil..... What's the big deal about that? Then they shot at it. :s0077: I remember seeing Daniel Defense do that to their AR & it impressed me that time, too.

Having said that:

My only full size red dot is the EOTech 512.A65(also have Burris FastFire III). I'm just a casual shooter, but I think its operation's as simple as it gets. I've never dropped it, and it's only seen some dirt, mud & rain.

I waited for a deal to come along on eBay & I got mine at $350(2018). It is big, but I hope that also means durability. I'm also shopping for another red dot, so this thread gave me me something to think about. I was leaning towards budget model from $100~$150, but maybe not now! EOTech.jpg

I'll hopefully be putting a Holosun through some testing sooner than later (post Covid). I'm going to attempt to acquire one through trade and plan to mount it to an AK. I have no super high expectations but sometimes we can be pleasantly surprised
I have ran a holosun on my 106fr and a primary arms advanced micro dot on my 107fr for the last 6+ years on an ultimak with no issues. The gas tube on an AK gets very hot when run hard and I would have thought by now I would seen a failure. There has been many times when I couldn't even touch the optic as it was way to hot.

20200414_224237.jpg

I have EoTech on my AR pistols. Iron Sights are co-witnessed with them.
I have the Holosun 510-C (red) on my POF MP-5 pistol. I've used a small mount, and the Holosun still allows me to "see through" and use the HK irons.

The good thing is they share the same reticle, so my eyes know where to look.

In my opinion, for your mini-draco project, I'd get the holosun 510-C instead of the one you originally listed. You'd save about $150-$200 and the Holosun is a bit narrower than the EoTech.

**If** you were building an AR, i'd suggest the EoTech, as you have the option of putting a magnifier behind that.

Good luck.

Here is my AK pistol, it often travels with me as well as some ear pro. Its loud, but your micro is a fire breathing monster I would hate to shoot in the house without hearing protection. As for Holosuns/Sig I prefer the micro, small and compact. I am not a person that likes boxy looking optics especially on an AK .

20200416_070529.jpg

Here is my AK pistol, it often travels with me as well as some ear pro. Its loud, but your micro is a fire breathing monster I would hate to shoot in the house without hearing protection. As for Holosuns/Sig I prefer the micro, small and compact. I am not a person that likes boxy looking optics especially on an AK .

View attachment 684339

You're right about it being a loud-mouthed fire breather. I'll be working on solving those two little physics puzzles, Lord willing.

Didn't I see a krink muzzle device on it in an earlier post. They are about as good as it gets albeit a touch heavy.

This is the fireball it makes with a 4-piece flash hider installed.

D8D65584-D613-4794-A701-3E4936F8ADA0.jpeg

Here are some of my notes on this project. If any of you have insights or information that will help me solve these puzzles, I'd appreciate your input.

The Micro Draco has such a short barrel, that there is quite a bit of unburned gunpowder expelled with each shot. It becomes an impressive fireball out in front of the gun, which could momentarily blind the operator.

A second issue with this weapon is that the noise it makes would be deafening, without some good hearing protection being worn by the operator. A suppressor would reduce, but not eliminate the noise.

This presents two physics problems to solve: (1) Extinguish the burning gunpowder, but only after it has done its work inside the barrel, and (2) Reduce or eliminate the sound of the gunshot.

The fireball is an interesting problem. There are several ways to extinguish a fire, including the use of sound waves. But the burning gunpowder is also an energy source. If contained and allowed to burn/explode, it may be possible to make it do some useful work for the operator. It may also be possible to find (or develop) a faster-burning propellant that will still accelerate the bullet properly, but will be used up (completely burned) by the time it reaches the end of the barrel. (Any amount of reduction in the amount of gunpowder being expelled will reduce the size of the fireball.). The Draco's barrel length is 6.25".

The sound of the gunshot might be diminished, or even eliminated, by using noise-cancelling technology that is mounted on the weapon. A further muffling of any remaining sound could be accomplished with a "body" that mounts onto the weapon.

While I have no experience with a barrel that short in 7.62x39, it was the ticket for my 11" build in 7.62x39. Before it looked like the pics you posted. The krink device scores pretty much the best at hiding flash in the tests I have see so I am not sure what else may do better. Is it a real krink or a knock off? Mine is actually a cmmg with 5/8-24 threads but it does well. One possibility if you reload is developing loads with a faster burning pistol powder to cut down on excess burning outside the barrel would definitely help. A can would help in both regards with sound and flash but I am not sure if anyone makes one rated for a barrel that short in 7.62x39. Let us know what you find.

Last Edited:
While I have no experience with a barrel that short in 7.62x39, it was the ticket for my 11" build in 7.62x39. Before it looked like the pics you posted. The krink device scores pretty much the best at hiding flash in the tests I have see so I am not sure what else may do better. Is it a real krink or a knock off? Mine is actually a cmmg with 5/8-24 threads but it does well. One possibility if you reload is developing loads with a faster burning pistol powder to cut down on excess burning outside the barrel would definitely help. A can would help in both regards with sound and flash but I am not sure if anyone makes one rated for a barrel that short in 7.62x39. Let us know what you find.

Will do.

I ran a night break and that was a no go. You need to tame the flame because the flame is blinding especially at night. I went to the Krinkov style device that it came with and it got way better but I am going with a 4 piece from C&C warrior as its supposed to be one of the best for getting rid of flask on an AK pistol. Not sure why yours was not doing its job, can you take a more close up pic of the 4 piece you were using?

FullSizeR(2).jpg

Last Edited:
I've had both, and I honestly prefer the holosun hs510c. Clearer dot great sight picture and features. And the customer service was wonderful. Not sure if they have a vortex style warranty, and this was several years ago, but they replaced mine no questions asked when my friend ran it over with his truck.
I know it's a controversial opinion.

I ran a night break and that was a no go. You need to tame the flame because the flame is blinding especially at night. I went to the Krinkov style device that it came with and it got way better but I am going with a 4 piece from C&C warrior as its supposed to be one of the best for getting rid of flask on an AK pistol. Not sure why yours was not doing its job, can you take a more close up pic of the 4 piece you were using?

View attachment 684729

The Manticore Nightshroud works better than there Nightbrake at reducing flash but I'm not sure they still make them. I would think the Smith Enterprise Vortex would work well.

Looking around on the internet, I found these prices. (This is after getting a $25 coupon code for the Eotech, and a $50 coupon code for the Holosun.)

Eotech 512

$393 shipped

EOTech

HS512C (not the titanium housing)

$318 shipped

Holosun HS512C Fully Enclosed Reflex Red Dot
Well, I got my Beretta sold yesterday so, I did some more searching. I had some trouble seeing the red dot on the smaller tubed optics (Vortex Crossfire) as my eyes are slowly going with age so, I'm now really thinking the Holosun HS512 might fit the bill better for me. I like that wider field of view! I'm still undecided but, hoping to have something by the end of the coming week.:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top