JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm hoping some of you veterans might be able to help me choose between an Eotech and a Holosun optic.

I'm putting together a CQB gun that I plan to hand down to my heirs.

The Holosun (made in China) has a solar panel and an instant-activation feature.

The Eotech (American made) might be sturdier, and the 512 and 522 have an optional "laser battery cover".

The gun and its accessories need to be simple, durable, and easy-to-use (intuitive). I don't have any soldiers or veterans in my family, so they won't have the training and experience that a soldier would bring to the table.

Here's the gun (Micro Draco) in an earlier stage:

B2DB1ABB-4EE0-465E-AAD6-9C31F9DED074.jpeg

45390ACB-2508-4B57-845D-1A2DCC3643A7.jpeg

E17A03D5-B244-4C2C-A10C-15825E3CB1D3.jpeg

Last Edited:
If money is not an issue then go with the EoTech. I never saw a Holosun on any military weapon during my time with the Marines. It was either Trijicon, Aimpoint or EoTech. Both models are too rich for me, though.

Last Edited:
a friends rifle accidentally got dropped onto concrete from 3ft and the front glass blew out of his eotech exps. are eotechs junk? absolutely not. it would be nice if they had an unconditional warranty like vortex though. seems like a lot to pay for a short warranty.

i have a holosun HS515GM on one of my firearms. has the "eotech reticle." i like it.

I've heard the Holosun's have come a long way in the past few years. No experience with them but, I'm not opposed to giving one a try. I'm an Aimpoint man myself but, they have a price tag out of my current reach. If you can get a CompM2, grab it because they are tough! I've had 3 and when I moved the rifles they were on, they went with them.:(

I have Eotech and Holosun (510C-G)
I prefer the Holosun for the features it has.
If the Eotech had shake awake, it would be a competitor.

I've heard the Holosun's have come a long way in the past few years. No experience with them but, I'm not opposed to giving one a try. I'm an Aimpoint man myself but, they have a price tag out of my current reach. If you can get a CompM2, grab it because they are tough! I've had 3 and when I moved the rifles they were on, they went with them.:(
Yes. Aimpoints are outstanding >:0

Last Edited:
I have only the Aimpoint Comp M4's. Great optics. Too large (IMO) unless the right application.
When Aimpoint decides to make a green dot, at a realistic price, I might consider picking one up.

Eotech and Holosun are not two brands I would even compare.

Eotech has a long history of service and reliability.

Holosun is a Chinese made "budget" optic.

I'm going to have to agree with Kruel. I'm by no means a gun expert but something that I have personal experience in is "you get what you pay for". I picked up an EXPS for my last deployment and it performed above and beyond. We had other guys who tried rocking sig Romeo's and vortex's but they never would make it past pre-mobilization training and they would default back to the ACOGs or CCOs. A few of us has EoTechs and we never had any issues with them. The controls are simple and the reticle worked extremely well in close quarters environments. Even medium range engagements were simple to pick up. I don't have astigmatism so I don't experience the "starburst" effect and the reticle is crisp for me. I pick it up faster than a simple red dot. If you're going to put your life on it then don't cheap out, save your pennies and get quality.

20170507_093012.jpg

I shoot a lot and have had Eotech and Trijicon optics in the past but have switched all of my rifles over to Holosuns. I had to warranty my Eotech, then soon after I put a goto AR together and bought a MRO ya know because of quality. Well that had to get warrantied also. I have been running Holosuns for over 5 years with no issues what so ever, and in my opinion I see no reason to ever spend more on anything else. Holosun warranty is as good as it comes, and its not like there isn't many millions that are sold and used in the US. Further more just because the military used something specifically doesn't mean squat, they are cheap bastards when it comes to equipping our guys that defend our country.

I have some experience with the Halosun 407c, Aimpoint ML3 (very similar to the Aimpoint ACO) and Trijicon MRO and Sig Romeo 5.

The Aimpoint and Trijicon are very robust and will be able to handle anything you can throw at them, but have great battery life and are easily changed ( though the Aimpoint takes a 1/3N cell). But you don't have take the RDS off the mount to change the battery. Both are designed to always on at some low level and still have a long battery life. The MRO also has off setting between mid level brightness setting, unlike the Aimpoint. The Aimpoint does cycle easier though all the settings.

My experience with the 407c may or may not relate the the Halosun 512, but from what I have seen they tough MRDS optics, not as tough as those listed above but darn close. I do live the shake awake feature and dual power source, the down side is the country of manufacture.

I don't care for the Eotech reticle, too busy and too blocky for my tastes. The auto off feature sucks and I find a knob to twist more intuitive when seconds count compared to buttons that have to presses. So the always on or shake awake models would get my vote.
If I was purchasing a defensive MRDS site for my AR AK rifle/pistol my vote would be the Trijicon MRO or Aimpoint ACO or PRO follow up by the Halosun lastly.

Romeo's and vortex's but they never would make it past pre-mobilization training

I don't have a stake in any of it but, I would like to point out, that most folks are not going to be going through that kind of training. While some do competitions and whatnot, I am a disabled vet so, the most extreme an optic is going to see with me, is maybe getting bumped on a corner!:s0112:

Last Edited:
Thanks, everyone.

If the Eotech had the "shake-awake" feature, I would just go ahead and get that one.

Thinking I might get the Eotech and install a remote pressure switch on the grip. Not sure if that would just keep turning the optic on & off, though.

Shake awake is just something else to fail. A QUALITY optic with extended battery life is much preferred over an accelerometer that can fail.

Being an almost exclusively iron sights fellow I'm not up on such offerings these days. But "made in China" is an instant red flag for many things and optics are generally "you get what you pay for".

I'm hoping some of you veterans might be able to help me choose between an Eotech and a Holosun optic.

I'm putting together a CQB gun that I plan to hand down to my heirs.

The Holosun (made in China) has a solar panel and an instant-activation feature.

The Eotech (American made) might be sturdier, and the 512 and 522 have an optional "laser battery cover".

The gun and its accessories need to be simple, durable, and easy-to-use (intuitive). I don't have any soldiers or veterans in my family, so they won't have the training and experience that a soldier would bring to the table.

Here's the gun (Micro Draco) in an earlier stage:

View attachment 683363

View attachment 683362

View attachment 683361

The only thing I DON'T like about Eotech is the battery life. If left on constantly, the battery will die quickly by comparison to an Aimpoint, which is all I run now. If Eotech had found a reliable way to manage battery power, I'd probably use them on more builds but it is what it is.

As far as Holosun, they're pretty in-line with Vortex IMO. They are rugged enough for most civilian uses, they're priced well and they have features to boast of. They aren't necessarily duty grade. All of my SHTF guns rock Aimpoints but red dots don't scratch every itch. My next optic buy will probably be a Trijicon 4x

After having a holosun shake awake feature fail and cost me a deer, I would be hesitant to recommend one for anything but the range. I think something with an etched reticle or extended battery life with buis is a better option.

Being an almost exclusively iron sights fellow I'm not up on such offerings these days. But "made in China" is an instant red flag for many things and optics are generally "you get what you pay for".
Even though some of the stuff coming out of China has improved, I'm intending not to buy more from that Communist driven country. If I can avoid it, I will avoid it. Hopefully some of these American based companies will pull their companies out of China and at least resort to other countries for manufacturing sources if not just moving back to US soil.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top