JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was at the range yesterday. Putting in some time with the Taurus TX22 Competition slide, trying to get it to 100% or there off.

After a good brick or so I went from center punching a 8" plate at 15 yards to hitting everything behind the plate.

There was no rhyme or reason to where the bullets were hitting. High right, low left, left of plate, on plate. Just everywhere really.

So, I'm thinking I cooked the red dot.

On the TX22 competition model or slide, the optic mount is right above the chamber essentially. The mount is aluminum, the Holosun is aluminum.

The barrel was hot, like uncomfortable to touch hot, much less even attempt to hold.

The dot was the same. It was as hot as the barrel. Hurt to adjust using the buttons.

So, is this a big issue or is there any way to get around this?

Chatting up the ROs brought up polymer mount of polymer optic.

Are there red dots more suited for heat?

Thanks!

Reno

IMG_0473.jpeg

Haven't had any issues with the FF3 on mine, but admittedly don't have anywhere near the rounds down the tube that you do.

I think some dot manufacturers list their operating temps…

Holosun looks to be 160f top not on all models.

Leupold said 160f top.

Trijicon didn't list the operating temps but mentioned lithium battery can be affected at extreme temperatures.

Burris is 130f top.

Couldn't find any in Vortexs site listed.

Damn, was kind of hoping something could take more heat. I haven't even shoot this upper suppressed and that is certainly going to add more heat.

Dumb question but could a thermal pad of some sort be mounted between the plate and the optic? I'm sure it would have to be handmade so to speak but I'm thinking a TPO type material? Just spitballing here, I may be completely full of it. :D

Possible it wasn't the heat and maybe just an optic failure?
Not sure. It was still working. I marked the adjustment knob on the side thinking that it might be wondering, it was still in the same spot after the proceeding couple of hundred. It was very hot from being shot rapidly.

Dumb question but could a thermal pad of some sort be mounted between the plate and the optic? I'm sure it would have to be handmade so to speak but I'm thinking a TPO type material? Just spitballing here, I may be completely full of it. :D
Not sure but not a bad line of thinking. It needs some form of heat protection.

The red dot is definitely acting like a giant heat sink.

Have you shot it after letting it cool down?
Ran out of ammo!

In other words no, I didn't give it enough time to cool before trying to see if it returned to zero. I will clean the gun and not touch the red dot to retest at the next range session.

Last Edited:

Kalolary Carbon Fiber Board Plate 300 X 300 X 1 MM, Carbon Fiber Sheets Available in 1mm 3mm Plain Weave Carbon Fiber Sheets 100% 3K Glossy Surface Carbon Fiber Plate https://a.co/d/4o1Etmm

Maybe cut and drill a plate to go in between the mount and the optic?

any kind of silicon mat cut to size, from an oven glove or countertop non slip counter mat. I use one for unscrewing red hot suppressors...there's a million versions on the amazons

Well, all silicones are not equal. As far as cleaning products and solvents- I have silicone O rings on the barrels of a couple of firearms and silicone gaskets around the charging handles and ejection ports of a few rifles that have had several years of cleaning products and oil with no degradation... for a thin application under a red dot -it's non slip and will compress under the sight, holding it very securely in place.

I'd remove the mounting screws, clean them and reapply blue loctite and try it out again after waiting 24 hours to let it cure before condemning the optic.
Was at the range yesterday. Putting in some time with the Taurus TX22 Competition slide, trying to get it to 100% or there off.

After a good brick or so I went from center punching a 8" plate at 15 yards to hitting everything behind the plate.

There was no rhyme or reason to where the bullets were hitting. High right, low left, left of plate, on plate. Just everywhere really.

So, I'm thinking I cooked the red dot.

On the TX22 competition model or slide, the optic mount is right above the chamber essentially. The mount is aluminum, the Holosun is aluminum.

The barrel was hot, like uncomfortable to touch hot, much less even attempt to hold.

The dot was the same. It was as hot as the barrel. Hurt to adjust using the buttons.

So, is this a big issue or is there any way to get around this?

Chatting up the ROs brought up polymer mount of polymer optic.

Are there red dots more suited for heat?

Thanks!

Reno

View attachment 1421888

I've had a Aimpoint Micro mounted for years on an AK with and Ultimak gas tube rail and that thing has been blistering hot. No issues. I've thought about trying it with a Holosun and/or PA Micro clones to see if I could cook them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top