JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bear in mind, Canada is a foreign nation, and they don't do everything the way we do. Handguns are illegal for almost everyone, hey, its only recently their Mounties have been armed. Long guns are still registered (though that may be changing.. its in the works now). They are SUPER paranoid about Yanks coming north and taking away even a local's HINT of a possibility of work.

Going up to teach a class for a company? The COMPANY should have gotten the clearance for their named instructor and family to enter. They like paperwork.. cleared ahead of time. Got that legal piece of paper with you, it's "very well, sir, thank you for that, and have a great stay in Canada".

I lived up there for five years, it was always a piece of cake going north.... and near perdition coming back into the USA. I also used to pull loads up that way on occasion when I was driving big rigs.... they ALWAYS asked "do you have any firearms". I never did......

These days, I'd present my US passport as primary identification.. but I rather suspect they've got computer access to Deparement of Licensing databases.... run my plates, registered to me, CPL in my name, tagged.......

MY polite answer, whilst looking him right in the eye but not defiantly, to the question "do you own any handguns" would be "yes, sir, I do own some, but knowing they are not legal in your country I have left them all at home".

My room mate while living there has a brother who was a Canade Manpower and Immigration Officer.. Toronto International Airport.... screening arrivals from foreign places. They are trained very well to "read' a person's intent. Trust me, if you are hiding something, or tell the least lie, they will know it before you even speak. Be totally honest, that way they'll never be able to catch you out. Once they think you are lying or hiding something, its all over until they've torn apart your car to prove you wrong. And they will. Remember, until they've "passed" you, you are a foreign invader. It is YOU who must prove your innocence of any foul motive or even capability.

Fact is, I wish very much that our own government would be half as careful as they are in allowing people to cross our borders, board airliners bound for here, etc.

I've travelled into BC by private car, public transportation, big rig, ferry, private yacht, bicycle, and foot. Never had the slightest problem.
'
Someone pointed out that DUI is a felony there.. true enough. Serious enough an offense they can, by their discretion, bar entry on that basis alone. Perhaps it should be a felony here..... in some states it is, I believe. But consider this... in Oregon, a misdemeanor offense will bar you from a concealed handgun license. Washignton, not so.

I live in Bellingham, and cross the border all the time mostly for work, but sometimes just to go to IKEA. Since I cross the border enough, I know to bring the passport. It is just easier. I have "NEVER" been asked if I own handguns, or anything. Maybe it's because I use a passport, instead of a license, but simple thing is tell the truth.

I have several friends that live in Vancouver that come down to Custer all the time for pistol and rifle matches. One guy comes down every month with his AR (which is on the restricted list in Canada) and "pinned" 5-round mags. Luckily for him, there are enough guys to borrow from. YOu just have to have your ATF forms signed, and in order, and a letter from the club.

tionico
I admire what you say and it is pretty much true.

The only hole you had is the mounties just getting arms, they have been armed and armed well since 1867.
Our Conservation Officers just got the right to carry handguns a couple years ago but have always carried a rifle and a shotty.
Our Boarder Guards have just gotten the right to be armed which should have happened decades ago.

The people that are keeping the trash out our country and no right to carry even at work.

The US customs guards always made me laugh when something happened and you were at the boarder the first thing they did was undo the snap on the holster.

After spending a little time in the USA and watching the news at some of the stuff that goes on I now see why they ready their guns first and ask questions later.

Ken.

Kodiak. I'll stand corrected on the thing abouut the Mounties being armed..... but I have some strong recollection of a significant change in their status in arms not too long ago. Perhaps it was the Mounties on highway patrol duty, or downtown urban posts? I seem to recall never seeing the Mounties armed as they knocked about downtown Vancouver.......

Yes, rather a different stance between the US CBP guys and the RCMP / CMI, isn't there? US guys take the position that everyone is armed, dangerous, and out to get them until proven otherwise. Canadian LE seem more ready to take the opposite position.. so, this wants a bit of sorting out, but I'll trust from the outset until I've reason not to.

I ALWAYS had problems getting back into the US. Easiest time I ever had was about three summers ago, I'd taken a cycle tour out our Olympic Peninsula to Port Angeles, crossed on the Black Ball into Victoria, spent a week on the Island, crossed to Tsawwassen on BC Ferries, then through the Lower Mainland and onto the border crossing at Lynden. Rolled past the line of cars (I WAS on a vehicle, even if it didn't have a motor), waited for the green light and up to the window. Handed her my Passport, she asked what city was I born in, how long I'd been in Canada, and where home is. When I answered "Olympia" (about two hundred some miles away, I obviously on the road some time) she waved me through, and said "be careful out there".

Nice. Maybe I just looked tired and harmless...... I'd already done about eighty miles on a VERY hot day..... had twenty more to go to keep the appointment with the bed for the night. Oh, and a good hot homecooked meal.

So it's all good in the land of perfection Ken?

OK, a little current events history quiz, kids......

over the past ten years in Canada:

how many school shootings have there been

how many cops killed at the hands of others

how many buildings blown up

how many serious incidents of attempted mayhem on commercial airliners bound for Canada

what is the relative prison population (percent of population behind bars

percentage of welfare recipients (I know, unfair question, as their unempolyment system amounts to a flavour of welfare in some places)

rates for teen suicide, pregnancy

I'll leave you to figure out a few more categories.......
but these will be a good start.

They'd love me.......do you have a concealed carry permit......."which state?" Do you own any handguns......."yes, sir." How many?......."Sir, my wife doesn't even know the answer to that question, then again, neither do I."

That one would probably lead to a cavity search.
:)

Why don't we just take B.C. back? Clackamas County, Oregon Territory used to go up to the North Pole (no actual nothern border). I had a guy from Canada working in my office who had never heard of 54-40 or fight. Remember the movie Canadian Bacon, what a hoot! Or we could play nice with our cousins to the north.

I have a CWP, used to live in Bellingham and crossed the border a lot, always found the Canadian Customs to be nice, only one time could I recall some long term questioning. Nowdays with the terrorist problem I wouldn't blame Customs either way for being extra careful. I always used my passport, answered any questions truthfully. I spent 20 years working in Latin America, this Canada border is piece of cake either way. Bill

Kodiak. I'll stand corrected on the thing abouut the Mounties being armed..... but I have some strong recollection of a significant change in their status in arms not too long ago. Perhaps it was the Mounties on highway patrol duty, or downtown urban posts? I seem to recall never seeing the Mounties armed as they knocked about downtown Vancouver.......

I think it was the Customs people that you are referring too. They just got the ability to carry arms - but the officer had to want to do it (its voluntary) and then they have to take some special training.

RCMP and Provincial/City Police have been armed in Canada for a long time at least the last 40 years in most areas.

I remember back in '70's the RCMP wore a model 10 S&W on a Sam Browne (Add the "e" in CA) rig.....

There are nice customs & immigrations on both sides of the border...

I'm sure that there are some other kinds of agents as well...

It's kinda human nature.

Northbender "everything is fine in the land of perfection"!! Any pointers to help you with your little part of paradise just ask.

Now with that out of the way Wheeler that is the point that I was trying to make in a round about way and also to show some of the people that are here that the laws work both ways.

To anyone in the USA that doesn't realize how close you people are to having gun control the same as Canada take it from a Canadian. I am very interested in what goes on with guns and the shooting sports in all of North America.
About two more bills passed in your Congress and you people could have gun control.

Now don't go off half cocked but from what I read in papers and hear on News broadcasts your Government that the majority of Americans put into power are doing the same to you as the Canadian Lieberals did to us. (As to how I understand USA's politics)

It happens so fast and you are "phuched".

The one that I see that is a real killer is your Homeland Security Act that makes anyone that is not a "USA citizen" caught in the possession on a scope, lead bullet piece of brass liebal to be deported. What if congress dropped "USA citzen"? Puts a real different spin on things as the law is already there it would only need to be tweaked.

On the other hand I have to admire the Americans for tightening their boarders and working at keeping their citizens as safe as they can. That is one h@ll of an undertaking and they will have their hands full for a long time to come.

My two bits Ken.

well for going to the u.s. with a drinking and driving charge from canada my brother was sent back . i,am very glad that you don,t have a gun law i hope you never get one . the gun law we got its not going to help anything its just a wast of the tax payers money the bad guys are still going to get guns .
george

That's why if you go to Canada, leave your handgun at home and pack your shotty. It's legal there but your handgun isn't. Learned that a good while back and they've only gotten more restrictive of it after 9/11.

North Bender no offence taken it is a forum to chat and i just like the chance to chat.

It is very annoying though and it is only going to get worse.

The question that is on everyones minds (I am sure) is what can We do to prevent it?
The polititions lie to us out right.
So what can We do to get it under control.

I would love to be able to pack a sidearm when I am out working in the bush. This is where I am most of the time.
Would love to be able to order reloading parts and pieces from the US as We pay through the teeth up here.
It is totally annoying and just plain stupid.

Ken.

I would love to be able to pack a sidearm when I am out working in the bush. This is where I am most of the time.
What is so damn funny to a person that has lived on both sides of the border is this.....Many places further than 100 miles (160km for our Canadian friends) from the US border resemble the US "old west" 150 years ago....With highways .....The "bush" is deep and long......Yet...the city folks would restrict a "bushmans'" right to self protection from real danger.........and their own......by extension.....

It's as if there are three Canadas....The bush...the cities and the Quebecois ( yes, I know some French Canadian bush folk, damn good ones at that)....

and not much common ground.......at least in regards to firearms....

What is so damn funny to a person that has lived on both sides of the border is this.....Many places further than 100 miles (160km for our Canadian friends) from the US border resemble the US "old west" 150 years ago....With highways .....The "bush" is deep and long......Yet...the city folks would restrict a "bushmans'" right to self protection from real danger.........and their own......by extension.....

It's as if there are three Canadas....The bush...the cities and the Quebecois ( yes, I know some French Canadian bush folk, damn good ones at that)....

and not much common ground.......at least in regards to firearms....

Yeah, it's sad how a few big cities can influence such a massive area of small towns and rural lifestyle. The disparity of representation is extremely unfair.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews