JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's a story to warm our hearts.

Two friends of mine - Washington residents - recently entered Canada through the Blaine customs. After showing their driver's licenses, the driver was asked if he had a concealed carry permit. He admitted he did. They asked him if he owned any handguns. He lied and said he didn't. Not a good decision on his part.

They pulled him over, searched his car, and brought him inside for lengthy questioning. They evidently knew he had purchased handguns and he finally admitted it. They grilled him about how many handguns he owns and why he owns them. Evidently it was a pretty rude and lengthy questioning.

I believe from this that your concealed permit is available to all law enforcement who run your driver's license, even to the Canadians.

I believe from this that your concealed permit is available to all law enforcement who run your driver's license, even to the Canadians.

A friend of mine who recently moved to Minnesota from here had the same thing happen to him a few weeks ago when he entered Canada from Michigan on business. He doesn't have his MN permit yet, and his Oregon one hasn't been cancelled or whatever yet, and that's the only one he has. He said the person asked him about it like he had a criminal record or something.

I think it shows up for them cuz it gets linked to your driver's license. My friend hasn't even got that switched to MN yet, so it came up.

Generally customs folks don't like it much when you lie to them in an obvious manner. After admitting to having a concealed permit and then saying you don't own any handguns - you might as well have just bent over and asked for a rectal exam. They are going to mess with you for messing with them that's how these authority figure things typically work.

Since 9/11 the Canadian customs people tend to be friendlier than the American ones. Before 9/11 it was the other way around.

Things to remember:

It is unlawful to take ammunition (except shotshells) across the border...either way. You most likely won't get arrested, but it is very easy for the CBP Officers serve you an admistrative penalty of $5,000, which is then immediately mitigated down to $500 or $250.

Also, it is unlawful to export any Mil Spec firearms accessories, such as your favorite sight or weapons light.

there shouldnt be any way canadian, or even American, cops should be able to know if you've "purchased handguns." however, having a "concealed handgun permit" sort of illuminates the lie.

i havent been to canada since i was about 5 with my parents. this is the sort of thing that would enrage me if i were subject to it unexpectedly. if i knew it was likely, however, it almost even sounds kind of fun. how many opportunities do you get to get hooked up, taken to jail, and interrogated?

what is there to do in canada, anyway?

Frankly I think they are just super senstive right now with the Winter Olympics right around the corner. I traveled Canada extensively on business several years ago and seldom had any problems with customs. I had a keychain with a deactivated .45 ACP casing as a fob that raised a few eyebrows in the Calgary airport once, but never got the rubber hose treatment.

For anyone who has ever spent any time at all at any of the border crossings, this should come as no surprise. The border agents are cop, court, and excutioner -- all bundled into one person. They have absolute authority to do pretty much anything they want, and at any time, and for any reason. I used to live in Michigan and traveled frequently into Canada for both business and pleasure. Sometimes the crossings went smoothly; sometimes they did not. More often than not, it was far easier to enter Canada than it was to re-enter the USA. And you quickly learn to be polite, look them in the eye when they ask you questions and when you reply, and to speak distinctly. They don't seem to like mumblers.

Went to Canada on a ferry. Got off the boat and went through there Customs in my rig. Do you own any firearms? Yes,I say. Pull over and we are going to search your vehicle. CRAP!! No firearms with me. They just held me up from enjoying my vacation for about 20 minutes with all there BS. Then I get there and a guy on the street asks me for some money so he can buy some POT. What a great country that Canada is. :s0112:

Yup they told me to pull over to that little building off of 99/i-5, I think I was wearing to many gold chains while driving my 77 Cadillac, asked me if I had a criminal record and if I lied, id be banned from crossing the borders, thankfully I remember about that time when I got a m.I.p. of. Alcohol, the guy came back pretty damn fast, thanked me for my honesty of an event that happen over 11 years ago. The guy said cheers when I got all my documents back, real strange eh?

Yup they told me to pull over to that little building off of 99/i-5, I think I was wearing to many gold chains while driving my 77 Cadillac, asked me if I had a criminal record and if I lied, id be banned from crossing the borders, thankfully I remember about that time when I got a m.I.p. of. Alcohol, the guy came back pretty damn fast, thanked me for my honesty of an event that happen over 11 years ago. The guy said cheers when I got all my documents back, real strange eh?

Gold chains and a '77 Cadillac? I have a lime green jump suit and a Lorcin you might be interested in! :s0114:

I can't go there. I got a misdemeanor DUI, 10 years ago. paid my fine, jumped through the hoops, got my license back. But when I went to the border, they turned me around, and said that I've been banned. For a traffic misdemeanor.

This is the same country that made it legal to grow pot, and created a huge black market from BC to WA. Lots of good American college kids lives have been ruined, by getting involved with the heck's angels, and running the border, for pot. They do have good fishing up there. Lots of boating and 4 wheeler fun, but you can do that here in Wa too.

I didn't even get a chance to tell them about my concealed pistol permit. I probably will never set foot on canadian soil ever again. Bunch of tea sipping, left wing, sissies anyway. Why is it anyone's business if you own handguns in your home state?

Gold chains and a '77 Cadillac? I have a lime green jump suit and a Lorcin you might be interested in! :s0114:

I have an afro and fish tank platforms to go with that suit.

I heard dui's are really frowned upon in Canada, don't know why, plus their cigarettes taste
HTML:
terrible and there 11 bucks a pack.

I can't go there. I got a misdemeanor DUI, 10 years ago. paid my fine, jumped through the hoops, got my license back. But when I went to the border, they turned me around, and said that I've been banned. For a traffic misdemeanor.

This is the same country that made it legal to grow pot, and created a huge black market from BC to WA. How many good college kids lives have been ruined, by getting involved with the heck's angels, and running the border.

I didn't even get a chance to tell them about my concealed pistol permit. I probably will never set foot on canadian soil ever again. Bunch of tea sipping, left wing, sissies anyway.

Isn't that just completely stupid?

I have an afro and fish tank platforms to go with that suit.

I heard dui's are really frowned upon in Canada, don't know why, plus their cigarettes taste
HTML:
terrible and there 11 bucks a pack.

Last time I was up there, years ago on vacation, I brought some Havanas back. I was sweatin' bullets going thru customs and you know, they weren't any better than good Nicuraguan cigars! Forbidden fruit syndrome I guess. :s0114:

The reason Canadians will ban you for a DUI is because it is a felony in Canada. If you have just one ciminal offense for you your sentence has been completed over 10 year ago, you are deemed "rehabilitated" and usually will be admitted to Canada. However, if you have two or ore criminal offenses for which your sentences were not completed over ten years ago, you'll have to apply for a waiver to get into Canada. Now that's really a PITA!

Remember, we have similar laws that prohibit non- U.S. Citizens from entering the U.S. as well. It's just DUI isn't one of them (yet!).

The border agents are cop, court, and excutioner -- all bundled into one person.
A neighbor of mine tried to enter Canada a year or two ago.

"What is your reason for visiting Canada?"
"Business and pleasure."

Don't know if he was cut off there or allowed to explain, but he and his family were turned around right there, denied entry.

He was set up by his employer to teach a class to Canadians on how to install their product. Everything was set up and he took the wife and kid along for a long weekend vacation.

But no, he was taking jobs away from Canadians so was refused (and don't you think the company would have used someone local to teach the class if there was anyone available?) Never mind that he was a no show at the class to make a roomful of residents more employable and was going to fill a hotel room for a couple days, probably eat a few meals.

MrB

A few remarks responding to the responses so far:

"Canadian customs agents are much nicer than the Americans" or some such. I completely dissagree. I used to cross the border for work all the time - back in the 80s - and their customs was completely friendly to Americans. No more, in my opinion. They now have access to all our criminal records and our carry permits and they are looking for you. They think their "gun problem" originates in the U.S.

A couple friends of mine were set to do some tree thinning in northern Whatcom County. The job got canceled. So they decided to go to Vancouver. The border took one look at these two with lunch boxes and work clothes and turned them right around.

A friend was arrested for misdemeaner pot (one joint) in 1970 in New York. He has the most common name imaginable - close to John Smith. He tried to say he was not that John Smith but they denied him entry.

Ever been arrested and not convicted? Got any skeletons? Enter the customs zone at the border to see what the Man really knows. Like a poster to this thread wrote, once you enter that space, they can do anything they want without any of the legal rights you are accustomed to.

Well thanks fella you gave this Canuck a good laugh.

A Canadian going to the states that has had an impaired driving (your DUI) your Customs officers will turn us around.
A Canadian going to the USA with a firearm will get turned around by your Customs.

Yes the folks down in eastern Canada (polititions) blame the USA for their gun problems but not all of Canada. The most of the citizens don't buy it for one minute.

Now for some points of intrest for you American lads.

As a Canadian if i am caught for speeding or going through a stop sign or light and the police officer finds a 22 shell or any other shell in my vehicle I can be deported from the USA. The same goes for rifle scopes, Gun parts, Bullets, Brass and many more that I can not think of off the top of my head.

I know one fella in Montana that was selling Scopes on ebay and had sold 60 some scopes to Canadians he was paid for the product and the shipping, He sent them to the buyers and one fine day he gets a visit from one of the finer Police forces of the USA and was charged one time for each scope he had sold to Canadians but if he was honest and admitted it they could go easier on him.

Yes the pain in the arse Olympics are going to be a pain to enter or exit the Either of the Countries.

Ask any truck driver which Customs is the easier of the two to work with and they will tell you in no uncertian terms they hate to deal with US Customs and the thing that pisses them off the most is being held up from getting back into their own COUNTRY.

The border guards have a job to do and I do not want it but it makes me feel better knowing that they are out their doing their jobs and if it ruffles anyones feathers go put up with the crap that they do day in and day out.

My two bits worth.

Ken.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews